CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Did I mention great work/life balance (in 73 reviews)

• Fantastic Culture, Great Benefits, Career Advancement (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales Management, high turnover, work life balance isn't great if you've just started a family (in 13 reviews)

• It forces the sales reps to do a lot of their own support which takes away time from selling (in 25 reviews)

"Started out good"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Made a lot of good friends, won trip a couple of times, made pretty good money (in the beginning).

Cons

Everyone has gone down hill since I left CB. I have a lot of friends still there, and apparently it's just gotten worse. I actually left to go to a competitor, and I can't tell you how many time my clients asked me "so when is CareerBuilder going to go out of business?"

Once you leave a company like CB, you realize how bad of a reputation they actually have in the industry. It's not hard to see why - they woke up one day and decided to be a SaaS company, and have leaders who have never even sold SaaS. Their salespeople are trained to be incredibly shady, to discount stuff/give it away for next to nothing because reps are getting some type of spiff bonus at the time, etc. This is why they lose so much business, and why salespeople are like a revolving door.

There's also a lot of really bad managers here who have no business managing reps. 6/7 reps on my team before I left deserved to be managers more than the moron leading us at the time. She was a successful rep when all she did was sell job postings and resume database, but in my experience, was completely worthless when it came to selling software. She played favorites (favored all the boys obviously), showed up to team events stoned out of her mind, and just generally behaved in an incredibly unprofessional manner. I highly doubt the majority of the managers will have jobs after this place gets bought out. Whoever buys them needs to get smart quickly and clean house.

Advice to Management

You hold your reps accountable, so why not your sales managers, RSM's and directors? Hire leaders who actually have character, and maybe you'll stop having so many VP's and higher ups get fired for "sexual misconduct," "harassment," "sleeping with direct reports," or, my personal favorite, "getting so drunk at an industry event that they pulled their pants down and have to be asked to leave by the bartender."

Start acting like a real company and less like a frat house.

"Ok experience, but could be soo much better!"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers, benefits, culture can be fun at times.

Cons

Advice to Management

Mid-level management: Be accountable for developing your team. Get off your high horse and really help your struggling sales reps. Senior Management: Stop promoting these "would be managers" because they're great drinking buddies. VP of sales and above: to evolve into a true software organization, having the right people in the right place is key. Poor management in the levels below you is severely hurting the company evolution and execution. Also stop hiring external candidates like myself who were brought in to help change your old ways of thinking. Your sales methods are antiquated. Your strategic teams are poorly equipped based off the same methods you use from your telesales teams. Major and National teams are basically highly compensated telesales reps. I was more impressed with the East Coast (Atlanta/Carolinas) management and its a clear reflection why Chicago lacks severely behind them in terms of retention and new revenue generation. I really wish I had a better experience to put here but I'm clearly disappointed with what could've been something great. Very cliquey here in Chicago. The high turnover here is also ridiculous. Not one person is left from my new hire training as well as the hires one month before and after me. These are classes of 15-20 new hires per month! I'll end this by saying there's soo much potential here and it can be fun. I'm a top performer who has left on their own terms, but I was also an external candidate brought in as a Major Account Executive. If you get to start from the beginning at the lower levels here, it's better off. External candidates brought in at higher roles are at a disadvantage because most people here started at the lower levels including mangers. There's an instant sense of apprehension towards us because internal candidates were passed over for us and kind of unwilling to help at first. Okay I've said a lot here but on a positive note, there are some very talented managers there as well who've been promoted multiple times already. Seek them out for mentoring. Most will be down in the Atlanta region, but nonetheless they were very welcoming and really helped me along when I needed the help. Thank you for that, I couldn't be more appreciative! To the Chicago managers. It wouldn't hurt to pick up the phone and reach out to them. You could learn a few things as I have.

"RUN AWAY"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary is the only positive about this place.

Cons

Here's the list:
    pocket-sized manager with a Napolean complex micro-manages to flex his pocket-sized muscles.
    back-stabbing culture
    no trust, no comradre
    high school mean girls
    everyone is 20 years old so if you want any type of wisdom or truthful insights, you won't get it here
    they don't want a "salesperson" they want a robot that dials the phones all day.

Advice to Management

come out of your ivory castle and take a look at your people. there is more to a successful business than numbers.

"Non-sales employees are undervalued"

Former Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Downtown Chicago office, casual dress code, Benefits are okay (up to par with other companies); Interesting products and software

Cons

Nowhere close to market-competitive pay. CB likes to offer perks such as Summer Fridays or lunch leftovers, but lowballs employees on pay. Likes to offer "bonuses" instead of paying their employees fair value

Advice to Management

Rethink the ultra-low compensation if you want to improve employee retention

"Senior Account Executive - Place Went Downhill"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started in the inside sales unit, followed by a promotion to Account Executive before I retired my CB career as a Senior Account Executive. This place was a lo of fun to work my first two years at CareerBuilder. It had a great culture, great perks (three time trip winner!) and a promising future. Then they tried to roll out their software package, micromanage the sales force and lose their best people in the process.

Cons

I ended up leaving because I was selling software that did not work as it should, was released too early and was not competitive in the market. CB tried to change too much, too fast. I always had the sense of "flavor of the week" ideas trickling down from upper-management but this was not a problem because the culture was amazing at this time. When they switched to software it became a madhouse. Middle management started freaking out and putting my friends on ridiculous 3-month performance plans that led them right out the door. They claim we are "consultative selling" but how come we had minimum quotas for specific products? I had to pitch products to keep my job that were not a good fit for my some of my clients--this is not consultative selling. I am glad I left when I did, it seems most/all my friends still there are either miserable or looking for a new job. I worked a little over 3 years at CB and had 12 different managers with only two promotions.

Advice to Management

You fired half your sales force in 2007. With your aggressive quotas, poor management and general lack of understanding of the direction of the company you are having the worst turnover that I have ever seen in my 3+ years at CB. Every study you published about candidate behavior suggests that the future of the company, and your brand in general, might end up being surpassed by even Monster.

7. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Household name
    Established in the Industry

Cons

Company is in free fall and losing market share daily
    The technology is not as strong as our competitors

Advice to Management

Merge with one of our competitors

"Career Services Associate"

Former Employee - Career Services Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Career Services Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder (Less than a year)

Pros

Occasionally there's free food lying around.

Cons

Decent pay until they fire you for someone cheaper. Untrustworthy superiors. No room for growth/ dead end environment. I witnessed fellow employees receive raises and take meatings about growing in the company, only to let them go a month or so later.

Advice to Management

You're better off treating these positions as they are, then creating a false hope among employees.

"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great company to learn how to sell, call 120 people a day and learn a great industry.....all while working in a young hip hop work place with a ton of benefits. The healthcare benefits, college, and transit programs were top notch. Having a chance to have a place in the world where you get to put people back to work is truly rewarding.

The T1, T2 and T3 training is truly unmatched by any other sales group

Cons

You will enter a sales role in which the true value of selling what a client wants is thrown out the door and be forced and or rewarded to sell products that the executive team wants you to sell. The flavor of the month will at times switch to flavor or the day, which is all micro managed by your manager who has the ability to listen to every phone call you make.

The comp plan is very hard to get used to if you have any financial responsibilities, but because everyone is under 27 years old CB (CareerBuilder) leverages that workforce who don't truly care about long term career plans or money. As a slap in the face, CB will bring in a financial consultant to tell you how to manage a paycheck that is 50% less than what your industry competition is paying. Yes, Monster will pay you $60k plus bonus when CB will only pay $30k plus bonus. Linkedin, Simplyhired, Indeed and ADP will all pay almost double for a starting salary.

If you make it more than 9 months, the 4th quarter payout of the comp plan will finally pay what it needs to. Each sales division is also set up differently. Enterprise is set up on revenue so you get paid when your clients use the product..........thus you will force your clients to post jobs when they don't need to, with clever training seminars to tell you how to create that talk track.

If you get a job, make sure you make your manager and every equal or greater manager in the company as your friend. Nepatism is top of mind at this company.

Advice to Management

Many of my coworkers believed and wanted to convey the following but true candid feedback is never welcomed at CB but only viewed that you were not part of the team. It is sad that managers see it as that rather than a way to truly become great.

1. Change the comp plan / account base growth plan so that reps can stay in a sales role with the same book and territory. This will allow customers to have the same rep for more than 6 months and truly grow win win relationships....Instead you have bread an internal thought process that after 1, 2 and maybe 3 years, the most successful reps are forced to leave their role or be fired or make no money. This is so common that reps will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to win and hit thier number. You have lost the equal amount of business since 2004 that you have brought in....This may be a factor

2. Protecting bad managers and bad sales people will only hurt you in the end and you will never truly grow from good to great. You are very top heavy in your management for the ROI that they bring to the market, teams and overall growth of the company. Salesforce can truly allow you to stop micro managing and reduce manager headcount as most of the leaders just look at data anyway. Rarely are they ever helping a salesperson get better and improve their craft. It is okay and actually very healthy to bring in new management to multiple segments of the business. Mark Landwer is a great example of this. STOP promoting or pushing great sales people into leadership..............they don't want it but it is their only option.

3. It is great that SaaS is a offering however, selling sticky products at 90% discounts without proper training or to just hit a number will ruin your name as a quality player in that space. You cannot scare or force reps to sell such items as they will sell them unethically................BUT maybe you don't care as the technolgy is sticky enough that the client will stay and your 100% turnover rate in sales will continue.

"I've worked there a long time and I've learned its a boys club"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros
    - Pay is decent once you get to quota- which is near impossible unless your lucky a find company that wants to grow by 300-400 percent and wants to spend all that with you
    - Happy hours are fun, except do you really want to spend every waking hour with your coworkers
    - Training is okay, except that its always the same, it feels like its there to justify someones job

Cons

Cons
    - So many to list
    - Compensation until you get to quota
    - useless trainings (any reason to pull you off the floor)
    - unrealistic quota expectations; growth in accounts should be expected however the CEO said it himself "we lose as much as we grow" So how about better pay for maintaining accounts and large bonuses for bring in new business
    - Better support for sales; its a mess right now. We have to go through cues to get support for accounts, which takes time. Then rather then getting what you need support has an agenda of stuff they need to complete in order for them to be compensated.
    -Accountability over managers; Most managers are morons while others are down right horrible, there are far & few managers that are both bright & respectful

Advice to Management

1- review compensation- CB pays the smallest base in the industry- Glassdoor, Linkedin, Salesforce, Monster all pay a lot more
    2- review philosophy- Instead of throwing insane Christmas parties or zone parties give employees bonuses
    3- Understand that more audit/manager reviews need to be put in place and leadership needs to see the results. Bad managers are everywhere in CB, they're toxic horrible people that bring down your day instantly- Get rid of them, or at least let people say something without fear of losing their job in a survey or something

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great entry level job, if you can sell the overall pay isn't horrible either.

Cons

I don't even know where to start. I never missed goal, but felt like I was being pushed out the door as soon as I started. My boss kept talking about how CB has turnover, and that I needed to do better everyday to keep my job. I could see if I wasn't keeping up great activity or missing goal having those conversations, but it made me incredibly uncomfortable.
    My team went out almost every night, and since I don't drink & have a kid at home, I usually opted out. I got pretty well told off by my manager of that one, and was told I wasn't a team player.

Advice to Management

It's not a popularity contest. Higher and promote the best people, not who you like. And you need more experience in management.