CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

1.0
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • CareerBuilder prides itself on allowing employees to enjoy a work life balance (in 93 reviews)

• Other pros-great benefits, wellness benefits, fun happy hours and team outings (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Its actually a great place to be and offers good work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• It forces the sales reps to do a lot of their own support which takes away time from selling (in 26 reviews)

"What A joke"

Current Employee - Talent Strategist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Talent Strategist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Females in leadership positions
    Decent benefits
    Nice enough people for the most part
    Chicago office is located just across the street from the clark and Lake blue line station

Cons

Very few opportunities for growth
    Upper level management will lie through their teeth, right to your face.
    There is always another excuse as to why your promotion has to be pushed back
    Removed summer hours for people who work in operations - the only part of the company actually performing
    Upper level management will make you feel completely useless and replaceable
    Does not pay a fair and decent wage
    Minimal opportunities for raises
    Company will continually take advantage of you
    CB caters to a young crowd. It is like being in a frat house half the time.
    I would absolutely never recommend that anyone work for careerbuilder for any reason.

Advice to Management

Cut the fat and promote the employees that work as hard as they can for you. It's absurd to sit on a team full of contact workers whose contacts are continuously extended when there is no work, but you can't give team members the promotions they were promised 6 months ago and they are already actively doing the job. When someone asks what incentive the company would have to promote you if you are already actively doing the job, don't threaten them and tell them they would no longer be in the running for a promotion at all with that attitude.

"Awful Sales Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is little work that requires you to stay more than 8 hours

Cons

Pay - the pay is below market average and if you are not hitting quota you will be quickly fired.

Incompetent sales people - everyone there is an ad salesperson, yet they are trying to sell software. This leads to horrible deals for clients and overall dissatisfaction with CareerBuilder products. The sales force is completely over its head.

Sales culture - This place is basically a frat house. Sales people are only focused on selling and happy hours. They rarely care about the client needs and push their agenda/whatever products management decide to focus on that week.

Management - The leadership is completely inept and incapable of leading the transition from a job board to a software company. Sales leadership knows less about their products than the new people going through onboarding training. The C-Suite has no idea what to do and what the strategy/focus of the organization will be.

Overall, it is a sales company that praises nothing but short-sighted sales and after work happy hours.

Advice to Management

Management has no leadership or vision. They are completely incapable of leading this company where they want to be. Just a bunch of nepotism and mid-2000s ad salesmen reaching beyond their skills. Advice - focus on retention of clients and not short-term sales to boost your personal goal.

3. "Customer Success Manager"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good product, continiousaly improving, more product offerings added to enable clients with the end to end HR solution. Agile, successfully pivoted into Software. Visionary CEO. Good work life balance. High renewal rate with software products.

Cons

Overstandardized CSM role, not fulfilling if you're a creative problem solver, no career path in Customer Success, pay is well below industry average, micromanaging mentality, Chicago office is political, advertising expecting to lose significant revenue, dead end job unless your goal is to manage a CSM team, however promotions into management are on the shrinking advertising side. Overall, role became less about a tailored client experience, and more about data entry to protect CB stakeholders. Support team reduced headcount. Sales team does not understand Success's role. High turnover on success team.

Advice to Management

Focus more on outcome based success, trust your CSM's, communicate Success's role to leadership throughout company. Campaign for improved pay. Build a success career path. No CSM has ever become an SA, despite appropiate credentials. Only 1 CSM has become a project manager. Truley no career path beyond managing a team on the dying side of the business.

"Started out good"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Made a lot of good friends, won trip a couple of times, made pretty good money (in the beginning).

Cons

Everyone has gone down hill since I left CB. I have a lot of friends still there, and apparently it's just gotten worse. I actually left to go to a competitor, and I can't tell you how many time my clients asked me "so when is CareerBuilder going to go out of business?"

Once you leave a company like CB, you realize how bad of a reputation they actually have in the industry. It's not hard to see why - they woke up one day and decided to be a SaaS company, and have leaders who have never even sold SaaS. Their salespeople are trained to be incredibly shady, to discount stuff/give it away for next to nothing because reps are getting some type of spiff bonus at the time, etc. This is why they lose so much business, and why salespeople are like a revolving door.

There's also a lot of really bad managers here who have no business managing reps. 6/7 reps on my team before I left deserved to be managers more than the moron leading us at the time. She was a successful rep when all she did was sell job postings and resume database, but in my experience, was completely worthless when it came to selling software. She played favorites (favored all the boys obviously), showed up to team events stoned out of her mind, and just generally behaved in an incredibly unprofessional manner. I highly doubt the majority of the managers will have jobs after this place gets bought out. Whoever buys them needs to get smart quickly and clean house.

Advice to Management

You hold your reps accountable, so why not your sales managers, RSM's and directors? Hire leaders who actually have character, and maybe you'll stop having so many VP's and higher ups get fired for "sexual misconduct," "harassment," "sleeping with direct reports," or, my personal favorite, "getting so drunk at an industry event that they pulled their pants down and have to be asked to leave by the bartender."

Start acting like a real company and less like a frat house.

"Ok experience, but could be soo much better!"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers, benefits, culture can be fun at times.

Cons

Sales Management, high turnover, work life balance isn't great if you've just started a family

Advice to Management

Mid-level management: Be accountable for developing your team. Get off your high horse and really help your struggling sales reps. Senior Management: Stop promoting these "would be managers" because they're great drinking buddies. VP of sales and above: to evolve into a true software organization, having the right people in the right place is key. Poor management in the levels below you is severely hurting the company evolution and execution. Also stop hiring external candidates like myself who were brought in to help change your old ways of thinking. Your sales methods are antiquated. Your strategic teams are poorly equipped based off the same methods you use from your telesales teams. Major and National teams are basically highly compensated telesales reps. I was more impressed with the East Coast (Atlanta/Carolinas) management and its a clear reflection why Chicago lacks severely behind them in terms of retention and new revenue generation. I really wish I had a better experience to put here but I'm clearly disappointed with what could've been something great. Very cliquey here in Chicago. The high turnover here is also ridiculous. Not one person is left from my new hire training as well as the hires one month before and after me. These are classes of 15-20 new hires per month! I'll end this by saying there's soo much potential here and it can be fun. I'm a top performer who has left on their own terms, but I was also an external candidate brought in as a Major Account Executive. If you get to start from the beginning at the lower levels here, it's better off. External candidates brought in at higher roles are at a disadvantage because most people here started at the lower levels including mangers. There's an instant sense of apprehension towards us because internal candidates were passed over for us and kind of unwilling to help at first. Okay I've said a lot here but on a positive note, there are some very talented managers there as well who've been promoted multiple times already. Seek them out for mentoring. Most will be down in the Atlanta region, but nonetheless they were very welcoming and really helped me along when I needed the help. Thank you for that, I couldn't be more appreciative! To the Chicago managers. It wouldn't hurt to pick up the phone and reach out to them. You could learn a few things as I have.

"Non-sales employees are undervalued"

Former Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Downtown Chicago office, casual dress code, Benefits are okay (up to par with other companies); Interesting products and software

Cons

Nowhere close to market-competitive pay. CB likes to offer perks such as Summer Fridays or lunch leftovers, but lowballs employees on pay. Likes to offer "bonuses" instead of paying their employees fair value

Advice to Management

Rethink the ultra-low compensation if you want to improve employee retention

"Senior Account Executive - Place Went Downhill"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started in the inside sales unit, followed by a promotion to Account Executive before I retired my CB career as a Senior Account Executive. This place was a lo of fun to work my first two years at CareerBuilder. It had a great culture, great perks (three time trip winner!) and a promising future. Then they tried to roll out their software package, micromanage the sales force and lose their best people in the process.

Cons

I ended up leaving because I was selling software that did not work as it should, was released too early and was not competitive in the market. CB tried to change too much, too fast. I always had the sense of "flavor of the week" ideas trickling down from upper-management but this was not a problem because the culture was amazing at this time. When they switched to software it became a madhouse. Middle management started freaking out and putting my friends on ridiculous 3-month performance plans that led them right out the door. They claim we are "consultative selling" but how come we had minimum quotas for specific products? I had to pitch products to keep my job that were not a good fit for my some of my clients--this is not consultative selling. I am glad I left when I did, it seems most/all my friends still there are either miserable or looking for a new job. I worked a little over 3 years at CB and had 12 different managers with only two promotions.

Advice to Management

You fired half your sales force in 2007. With your aggressive quotas, poor management and general lack of understanding of the direction of the company you are having the worst turnover that I have ever seen in my 3+ years at CB. Every study you published about candidate behavior suggests that the future of the company, and your brand in general, might end up being surpassed by even Monster.

8. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Household name
    Established in the Industry

Cons

Company is in free fall and losing market share daily
    The technology is not as strong as our competitors

Advice to Management

Merge with one of our competitors

"Career Services Associate"

Former Employee - Career Services Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Career Services Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder (Less than a year)

Pros

Occasionally there's free food lying around.

Cons

Decent pay until they fire you for someone cheaper. Untrustworthy superiors. No room for growth/ dead end environment. I witnessed fellow employees receive raises and take meatings about growing in the company, only to let them go a month or so later.

Advice to Management

You're better off treating these positions as they are, then creating a false hope among employees.

"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great company to learn how to sell, call 120 people a day and learn a great industry.....all while working in a young hip hop work place with a ton of benefits. The healthcare benefits, college, and transit programs were top notch. Having a chance to have a place in the world where you get to put people back to work is truly rewarding.

The T1, T2 and T3 training is truly unmatched by any other sales group

Cons

You will enter a sales role in which the true value of selling what a client wants is thrown out the door and be forced and or rewarded to sell products that the executive team wants you to sell. The flavor of the month will at times switch to flavor or the day, which is all micro managed by your manager who has the ability to listen to every phone call you make.

The comp plan is very hard to get used to if you have any financial responsibilities, but because everyone is under 27 years old CB (CareerBuilder) leverages that workforce who don't truly care about long term career plans or money. As a slap in the face, CB will bring in a financial consultant to tell you how to manage a paycheck that is 50% less than what your industry competition is paying. Yes, Monster will pay you $60k plus bonus when CB will only pay $30k plus bonus. Linkedin, Simplyhired, Indeed and ADP will all pay almost double for a starting salary.

If you make it more than 9 months, the 4th quarter payout of the comp plan will finally pay what it needs to. Each sales division is also set up differently. Enterprise is set up on revenue so you get paid when your clients use the product..........thus you will force your clients to post jobs when they don't need to, with clever training seminars to tell you how to create that talk track.

If you get a job, make sure you make your manager and every equal or greater manager in the company as your friend. Nepatism is top of mind at this company.

Advice to Management

Many of my coworkers believed and wanted to convey the following but true candid feedback is never welcomed at CB but only viewed that you were not part of the team. It is sad that managers see it as that rather than a way to truly become great.

1. Change the comp plan / account base growth plan so that reps can stay in a sales role with the same book and territory. This will allow customers to have the same rep for more than 6 months and truly grow win win relationships....Instead you have bread an internal thought process that after 1, 2 and maybe 3 years, the most successful reps are forced to leave their role or be fired or make no money. This is so common that reps will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to win and hit thier number. You have lost the equal amount of business since 2004 that you have brought in....This may be a factor

2. Protecting bad managers and bad sales people will only hurt you in the end and you will never truly grow from good to great. You are very top heavy in your management for the ROI that they bring to the market, teams and overall growth of the company. Salesforce can truly allow you to stop micro managing and reduce manager headcount as most of the leaders just look at data anyway. Rarely are they ever helping a salesperson get better and improve their craft. It is okay and actually very healthy to bring in new management to multiple segments of the business. Mark Landwer is a great example of this. STOP promoting or pushing great sales people into leadership..............they don't want it but it is their only option.

3. It is great that SaaS is a offering however, selling sticky products at 90% discounts without proper training or to just hit a number will ruin your name as a quality player in that space. You cannot scare or force reps to sell such items as they will sell them unethically................BUT maybe you don't care as the technolgy is sticky enough that the client will stay and your 100% turnover rate in sales will continue.