CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.0
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • CareerBuilder prides itself on allowing employees to enjoy a work life balance (in 99 reviews)

• Other pros-great benefits, wellness benefits, fun happy hours and team outings (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Its actually a great place to be and offers good work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• CareerBuilder has a reputation of very high turnover of sales reps (in 26 reviews)

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a great company until bought by another financial firm last year. Since then the business and work has been really slow

Cons

New direction is really vague and very intrusive within departments. Too many changes in various departments

Advice to Management

Increase salaries for long term employees

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with that are not managers
    It was a great place to work...
    Sometimes we got fruit but then that stopped
    Fast Career Advancement (That has since stopped)
    Decent Bonus Structure (Backloaded though and Comp Pay is LOW)

Cons

It was a great place to work... Then the focus changed and it became terrible
    ZERO communication
    Lots of upper management drinking the CB juice and then handing it out to their reps
    2 years ago - CEO Matt F. once said that advertising isn't an effective way to capture resumes or create traffic... Now you can not listen to the radio without hearing an Indeed ad or Ziprecruiter ad. Even HRIS systems are getting into advertising. CB has once again launched TV commercials but the one I saw did not capture my attention.
    Rebaselines
    Management at every level in Sales (Boys Club) - I will admit that there were some very good managers that work there but it is not the norm.
    Fast Career Advancement which led to a lot of "How did they get that position?"

Advice to Management

Get your boots on the ground and listen to your people. My outlook is not great for CB in the next 5-10 years. A lot of work needs to happen to keep them relevant. Google entering the market is huge and could see that overtaking the industry just like Indeed did (Only a matter of time before Google starts to monetize off of the traffic). There's a reason why so many have left recently but that is most likely OK as you would not have to pay severance, should you lay them off. Without the mass exodus I am sure the first layoff number in 2017 would have been greater. You are entering a market and a crowded market with the software. You are no longer the big fish in the job board market nor are you in the ATS market, so you need to stop acting like you are. Your prices are high and after looking at other systems for my current role... well, your software doesn't REALLY set you apart. I hope the best for CB as I have friends that still work there but I can't fault any of them for wanting to leave.
    You get two star because you were a good company and I have met some great friends there.

"Layoffs, No clear vision, Run while you can"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing coworkers, benefits are decent

Cons

9/27/17 They laid off about 120 people
    All sales numbers were messed up and sales people had been trying to get them corrected for months because we weren't being paid as much as we should have been. It took them over 6 months to get it fixed but never got trued up for the money that was owed.
    There is no vision for where the company is going.
    Jack of all trades. Master of None. CareerBuilder acquired all of these companies and dipped their toe in every pool yet they are not the best in any category anymore
    CB used to be a great place to work but it is not any longer so I would not suggest working here.
    Culture has been completely lost and most employees are leaving.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees
    Diversify your C-Levels
    Pay your employees correctly
    Figure out a plan. It's constantly a flavor of the week when it comes to pushing products.
    Communication is KEY! Every department is always on a completely different page.

"A job for someone straight out of college and want to do a ton of work for very little pay even at 100%"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k match, health and dental, pto accrual, cheap vending machines

Cons

Management, metrics keep changing, no one will give straight answers how we're being paid, they are paying us so little but keep adding more to our plate and refuse to backfill (we have access to labor market analytics and we can see we're being underpaid ridiculously), they treat you poorly then ask "why the moral is down", always having tech issues, they want you to sell products that aren't even finished being made!, organizational issues

Advice to Management

We understand things are constantly changing, but you're a software company. You need to pay your reps like they are software reps. Micromanaging is at an all time high, and everyone is quitting left and right. You still won't backfill and keep adding the accounts of those people to other peoples books and putting them on the line for cancellations that happened before you got the account.

"Great Sales Training for Entry Level Sales - Not a Career"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to start your sales career at and the sales reps are really fun!

Cons

Management doesn't care and its a real mess.

"Great people still, but not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Made some of my best friends there and the people are what make the culture as fun as it is. Excellent pay, benefits, perks and there are some GREAT managers there, but...

Cons

There are some really lousy managers and unfortunately, they have managed to get into higher positions of leadership and they have no business being there. Upper management is all politics-driven and after the shake-up at some of the top levels earlier this year, there are some REALLY awful people in charge of certain sales verticals.

CEO is a brilliant guy, but I really do question his judgement in letting the Chief Sales Officer continue to run things. The company has gone backwards since he took the helm. From introducing new comp plans to incentivise selling certain solutions and then wondering why the whole salesforce stopped selling the other solutions, to placing new people in roles where they have NO experience and NO management skills, it's been quite a trainwreck. His company update calls are embarrassing. He has the grammar and public speaking skills of an 8-year-old. I can only imagine what the clients must think when he shows up at a meeting.

Head for zee hills and look somewhere else until there is a changing of the guard at the director and vp levels.

Advice to Management

First of all, the HR/Recruitment at the company is a joke. It's embarrassing that a company that specializes in the space can't seem to communicate with its' own employees or fill their own open positions on the floor.

Time to take a hard look at your top people (some, not all) and say goodbye to some folks that have been there too long and don't belong.

Understand that any positive you see in the day-to-day culture is thanks to the people on the floor that are still there. The day that people start to realize that "this is not what I signed up for" has already come for many (myself included), and is right around the corner for the rest. Stinks that a few rotten eggs have weaseled their way up to ruin what used to be such a great company.

"Inconsistent"

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to develop a career path. Young place to work that strives to offer the best work life balance possible.

Cons

Sales quotas/structure seems to change almost quarterly. Management makes rash decisions that sometimes do work but other times fail, meaning your pay/livelihood at times feel at risk.

Advice to Management

Find a plan and stick with it. You can't keep changing your priorities/objectives and use your sales floor as an experiment.

"Unprofessional Management"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere, great location in downtown Chicago. Very fun company to work for. National brand recognition. Great initial onboarding training.

Cons

After initial company & culture training, there was very little support from first line supervisor. As a new hire, I was sat next to an empty desk and another brand new associate. Supervisor continuously missed meetings to assist in associate development. After 3 months, supervisor accepts new position within the company (obvious that this supervisor was checked out & did not care about developing new associate). After 2 months, a new supervisor with no supervisory experience was brought in. A nice person, but obviously immature and absolutely terrible leadership skills. Every development meeting started with "how can I help you?" There was also a new "no discounting" rule from the new manager. Some customers had more than 80% discounting by previous reps. Very difficult to persuade customers to renew at full price, especially when development meetings are not even taking place. 3 months later, the new supervisor laid me off, and then proceeded to brag about it on Facebook later that evening. Not the most unprofessional situation I have ever experienced, but it was close.

Advice to Management

Hold lower level management more accountable for developing and retaining new employees. Supervisors are so eager to get promoted they do not care who they step on and who gets hurt. Ironically, this is the exact opposite of characteristics that define a true leader.

"Sr. Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

The company has a way of changing quickly to meet a market need.  If a strategic change needs to be made, the company will change and change fast.

Great co-workers

If you hit your numbers and are savvy navigating internal politics, you can move up quickly in this organization.

Cons

Sales Managers: The company's fast-paced culture has put a middle management layer in place that is not prepared to manage software sales reps.   The sales managers were all successful selling job postings in previous roles, but have no background in SaaS sales. It creates a lack of credibility in many cases, while turning some managers into micromanagers. But I should note there are a few managers who are good... Want to find out who's a good manager and who should be avoided? During the interview process, ask the manager about their turnover rate.

Lack of Consistency: Very little consistency from month to month, or even week to week.  One month we are told to put all of our focus on selling software, then the following month we are told to increase our focus on job postings.  Given the long sales cycle required for software, this approach is very counterproductive. It tells me the company isn't sure about its transition to a SaaS company and wants the best of both worlds.  Whatever the case, you get the sense that upper management is constantly sending down new directives to middle management based on changing winds.

Work-Life Balance: Careerbuilder has a few nice perks like half day Fridays in the summer and occasional happy hours, but when I am in the office I feel like I am chained to my desk. I feel a sense of guilt or "big brother watching" if I walk in a few minutes late. The concept of "disciplined freedom" is just lip service. CB has created an environment where reps don't have a desire to go above and beyond for the company unless they see a direct benefit. You can see it play out at 5:00 each day, when everyone gets up and walks out at the exact same time. Id rather work in an environment where I can get my work done in a manner that works best for me and my clients.

The daily dial and talk time requirement makes little sense if we are transitioning to a SaaS company. But as mentioned earlier, management doesn't seem to know what we truly are. So perhaps we should keep it for now.

There is a real sense of frustration amongst many account execs at the Sr. and Major levels.  Many reps are looking to leave while new reps seem to come in and disappear after a few months. The transition - or lack of transition - to a SaaS company is taking a real toll on everyone.

Constant shifting of clients from rep to rep: This causes several major issues:
    1) good clients are very frustrated because they constantly have to deal with someone new who doesn't know their business.
    2) low spend and zero biller clients feel like they are being harassed by careerbuilder reps, and just when one rep gives up, another starts harassing them again.
    3)  If you get an account that was managed well by the previous rep, you're in luck.  If you get an account where a previous rep burned a bridge, you're screwed.
    4) Tenured reps become frustrated when accounts they've been working are given to someone else, then 3 months later they watch another rep get the credit (and bonus) for closing a deal they started working on a year prior.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and stick with it

If we are going to make the transition to a SaaS company, bring in a few executives and sales managers with SaaS experience.

"What's The Vision?"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Let me first preface this review by explaining that in my 4 years with CB, I've always exceeded sales quotas. This is not the review of someone who's being "pushed out" or not doing well.

Excellent entry level sales training, work like balance is great, half-day fridays in the summer, annual trips for President's Club, young culture and lots of happy-hour related events. You can make $100K+ here at a very young age, but my fear is CB's best days are behind them.

Cons

Beginning of 2015 was almost 100% SaaS focused, and leadership basically changed their mind halfway through the year. SaaS Rollout has been a disaster. Executives cannot figure out how to grow AND sell SaaS units at the same time, and the ship has officially lost its rudder – which has led to a mass exodus of talented sales reps. Advertising and search products have been surpassed by competition and HR Software cannot make up for the lost revenue. Bottom line, our Chief Sales Officer recently compared us to Lyft – ya know, the car service that no one uses? I don't know about you, but I sure am motivated!

Mixed Messaging: I truly believe if you put all the executives in different rooms and asked them the vision of CB they’d have different answers. Are you an advertising or software company? Because you’ve proven you can’t do both at the same time.

Pay: Comp Plans revolves around SaaS Sales, though I’m encouraged NOT to sell it in an effort to maintain growth. Pay is lower than most SaaS companies – and the comp plan changes with the wind

Territory: SCATTERED, logistically this makes absolutely no sense and makes traveling a nightmare

Training: Managers whose only experience is selling job postings holding trainings on selling software is a joke. Hire managers / trainers who’ve actually SOLD software

Advertising: Still effective, but competition outperforming CB. Customers can get similar return for less $ elsewhere.

Search: New advancements are too-little, too-late. CEO admitted “we went years without any innovation” What do you think LinkedIn was doing then? This is why you’re losing.
    Technology roll outs are a mess, forcing tech on customers who do not need it

It’s frustrating, because what was once an awesome place to work has reached its peak. You can make a career here, just know it is always changing with a major lack of direction from those steering the ship.

Advice to Management

Pay your reps, because you are losing talent. For God's sakes, pick a compensation plan and stick with it. Decide who you are and go with it, indecision has been your worst enemy.