CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • CareerBuilder prides itself on allowing employees to enjoy a work life balance (in 83 reviews)

• Other pros-great benefits, wellness benefits, fun happy hours and team outings (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales Management, high turnover, work life balance isn't great if you've just started a family (in 13 reviews)

• It forces the sales reps to do a lot of their own support which takes away time from selling (in 25 reviews)

"Great Sales Training for Entry Level Sales - Not a Career"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to start your sales career at and the sales reps are really fun!

Cons

Management doesn't care and its a real mess.

"Great people still, but not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Made some of my best friends there and the people are what make the culture as fun as it is. Excellent pay, benefits, perks and there are some GREAT managers there, but...

Cons

There are some really lousy managers and unfortunately, they have managed to get into higher positions of leadership and they have no business being there. Upper management is all politics-driven and after the shake-up at some of the top levels earlier this year, there are some REALLY awful people in charge of certain sales verticals.

CEO is a brilliant guy, but I really do question his judgement in letting the Chief Sales Officer continue to run things. The company has gone backwards since he took the helm. From introducing new comp plans to incentivise selling certain solutions and then wondering why the whole salesforce stopped selling the other solutions, to placing new people in roles where they have NO experience and NO management skills, it's been quite a trainwreck. His company update calls are embarrassing. He has the grammar and public speaking skills of an 8-year-old. I can only imagine what the clients must think when he shows up at a meeting.

Head for zee hills and look somewhere else until there is a changing of the guard at the director and vp levels.

Advice to Management

First of all, the HR/Recruitment at the company is a joke. It's embarrassing that a company that specializes in the space can't seem to communicate with its' own employees or fill their own open positions on the floor.

Time to take a hard look at your top people (some, not all) and say goodbye to some folks that have been there too long and don't belong.

Understand that any positive you see in the day-to-day culture is thanks to the people on the floor that are still there. The day that people start to realize that "this is not what I signed up for" has already come for many (myself included), and is right around the corner for the rest. Stinks that a few rotten eggs have weaseled their way up to ruin what used to be such a great company.

"Inconsistent"

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to develop a career path. Young place to work that strives to offer the best work life balance possible.

Cons

Sales quotas/structure seems to change almost quarterly. Management makes rash decisions that sometimes do work but other times fail, meaning your pay/livelihood at times feel at risk.

Advice to Management

Find a plan and stick with it. You can't keep changing your priorities/objectives and use your sales floor as an experiment.

"Unprofessional Management"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere, great location in downtown Chicago. Very fun company to work for. National brand recognition. Great initial onboarding training.

Cons

After initial company & culture training, there was very little support from first line supervisor. As a new hire, I was sat next to an empty desk and another brand new associate. Supervisor continuously missed meetings to assist in associate development. After 3 months, supervisor accepts new position within the company (obvious that this supervisor was checked out & did not care about developing new associate). After 2 months, a new supervisor with no supervisory experience was brought in. A nice person, but obviously immature and absolutely terrible leadership skills. Every development meeting started with "how can I help you?" There was also a new "no discounting" rule from the new manager. Some customers had more than 80% discounting by previous reps. Very difficult to persuade customers to renew at full price, especially when development meetings are not even taking place. 3 months later, the new supervisor laid me off, and then proceeded to brag about it on Facebook later that evening. Not the most unprofessional situation I have ever experienced, but it was close.

Advice to Management

Hold lower level management more accountable for developing and retaining new employees. Supervisors are so eager to get promoted they do not care who they step on and who gets hurt. Ironically, this is the exact opposite of characteristics that define a true leader.

"Sr. Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

The company has a way of changing quickly to meet a market need.  If a strategic change needs to be made, the company will change and change fast.

Great co-workers

If you hit your numbers and are savvy navigating internal politics, you can move up quickly in this organization.

Cons

Sales Managers: The company's fast-paced culture has put a middle management layer in place that is not prepared to manage software sales reps.   The sales managers were all successful selling job postings in previous roles, but have no background in SaaS sales. It creates a lack of credibility in many cases, while turning some managers into micromanagers. But I should note there are a few managers who are good... Want to find out who's a good manager and who should be avoided? During the interview process, ask the manager about their turnover rate.

Lack of Consistency: Very little consistency from month to month, or even week to week.  One month we are told to put all of our focus on selling software, then the following month we are told to increase our focus on job postings.  Given the long sales cycle required for software, this approach is very counterproductive. It tells me the company isn't sure about its transition to a SaaS company and wants the best of both worlds.  Whatever the case, you get the sense that upper management is constantly sending down new directives to middle management based on changing winds.

Work-Life Balance: Careerbuilder has a few nice perks like half day Fridays in the summer and occasional happy hours, but when I am in the office I feel like I am chained to my desk. I feel a sense of guilt or "big brother watching" if I walk in a few minutes late. The concept of "disciplined freedom" is just lip service. CB has created an environment where reps don't have a desire to go above and beyond for the company unless they see a direct benefit. You can see it play out at 5:00 each day, when everyone gets up and walks out at the exact same time. Id rather work in an environment where I can get my work done in a manner that works best for me and my clients.

The daily dial and talk time requirement makes little sense if we are transitioning to a SaaS company. But as mentioned earlier, management doesn't seem to know what we truly are. So perhaps we should keep it for now.

There is a real sense of frustration amongst many account execs at the Sr. and Major levels.  Many reps are looking to leave while new reps seem to come in and disappear after a few months. The transition - or lack of transition - to a SaaS company is taking a real toll on everyone.

Constant shifting of clients from rep to rep: This causes several major issues:
    1) good clients are very frustrated because they constantly have to deal with someone new who doesn't know their business.
    2) low spend and zero biller clients feel like they are being harassed by careerbuilder reps, and just when one rep gives up, another starts harassing them again.
    3)  If you get an account that was managed well by the previous rep, you're in luck.  If you get an account where a previous rep burned a bridge, you're screwed.
    4) Tenured reps become frustrated when accounts they've been working are given to someone else, then 3 months later they watch another rep get the credit (and bonus) for closing a deal they started working on a year prior.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and stick with it

If we are going to make the transition to a SaaS company, bring in a few executives and sales managers with SaaS experience.

"What's The Vision?"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Let me first preface this review by explaining that in my 4 years with CB, I've always exceeded sales quotas. This is not the review of someone who's being "pushed out" or not doing well.

Excellent entry level sales training, work like balance is great, half-day fridays in the summer, annual trips for President's Club, young culture and lots of happy-hour related events. You can make $100K+ here at a very young age, but my fear is CB's best days are behind them.

Cons

Beginning of 2015 was almost 100% SaaS focused, and leadership basically changed their mind halfway through the year. SaaS Rollout has been a disaster. Executives cannot figure out how to grow AND sell SaaS units at the same time, and the ship has officially lost its rudder – which has led to a mass exodus of talented sales reps. Advertising and search products have been surpassed by competition and HR Software cannot make up for the lost revenue. Bottom line, our Chief Sales Officer recently compared us to Lyft – ya know, the car service that no one uses? I don't know about you, but I sure am motivated!

Mixed Messaging: I truly believe if you put all the executives in different rooms and asked them the vision of CB they’d have different answers. Are you an advertising or software company? Because you’ve proven you can’t do both at the same time.

Pay: Comp Plans revolves around SaaS Sales, though I’m encouraged NOT to sell it in an effort to maintain growth. Pay is lower than most SaaS companies – and the comp plan changes with the wind

Territory: SCATTERED, logistically this makes absolutely no sense and makes traveling a nightmare

Training: Managers whose only experience is selling job postings holding trainings on selling software is a joke. Hire managers / trainers who’ve actually SOLD software

Advertising: Still effective, but competition outperforming CB. Customers can get similar return for less $ elsewhere.

Search: New advancements are too-little, too-late. CEO admitted “we went years without any innovation” What do you think LinkedIn was doing then? This is why you’re losing.
    Technology roll outs are a mess, forcing tech on customers who do not need it

It’s frustrating, because what was once an awesome place to work has reached its peak. You can make a career here, just know it is always changing with a major lack of direction from those steering the ship.

Advice to Management

Pay your reps, because you are losing talent. For God's sakes, pick a compensation plan and stick with it. Decide who you are and go with it, indecision has been your worst enemy.

"I used to think this was a great job"

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty generous commission structure, decent base, can get ramped up pretty quickly

Cons

Constantly changing what they want you to push
    Something is always busted with the Technology- Salesforce, order entry, phones

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like babies and let them make money

"MAE"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once upon a time, you wouldn't be able to stop writing about the pros at CareerBuilder, now there are very few. Health benefits, 401K, wellness are all good. Pay is at or below the average compensation for sales reps in the technology industry. While the company is moving in a beneficial direction with huge upside potential, they have no idea how to get there. They have not made any new hires in regards to operations and that is where they are coming up short the most often.

Cons

Over the past 18 months, about 35% of the sales reps and leaders have left. Why is that? Well, in an effort to change as a company from an advertising focused company to a more SaaS company, CB has completely lost it's culture. While some of the middle and upper management is still there, they know nothing about software sales as they have been with CB for 7+ years and have never sold anything but job postings. With that said, there are unrealistic expectations in regards to everything sales related because none of the management overseeing the sales teams has ever done what they are asking their reps to do. This leads to a lot of unnecessary stress, an ever lowering morale within the company and a lot of resentment towards management.

While I once loved working there and was proud to say I worked for CareerBuilder, I have never been more stressed out and demotivated. I am currently looking for a new opportunity and will be leaving as soon as I find one. So many good people have been pushed out or left due to the poor management that it is no longer a place anyone wants to be. With each person that leaves, I hear of more people that are on their way out.

On top of that, there are so many new hires coming in that don't know anything about the core product set and are also trying to learn about that SaaS products that they are being set up to fail. Furthermore, because the managers really don't have a great grasp on how to sell software, they are tasking the reps with being on call trainers for the new hires which is getting in the way of getting anything else done. This is also in addition to the fact that the support staff knows very little about what they are doing as well, so the reps are asked to be Project Managers, Implementation Consultants, Integration Specialists and more when they are supposed to be focused on sales.

Advice to Management

Hire someone who knows what they are doing with technology/software! Stop re-purposing people who have been at CB for a decade to do something they know nothing about. You are losing all of your best people and CB doesn't seem to care. Stop trying to rush things and take your time on product roll-outs. There is a very bright future for CB, but it will never get their with the current leadership.

10. "Review"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are the pros

Cons

Little direction for sales reps, continuously changing direction on products to sell

"Identity Crisis"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large organization with a numerous opportunities for movement and skill development. Benefits are great.

Cons

Middle management's micromanagement of their sales reps is counter productive. The company is going through a huge shift from media to software. Leadership has not hired experiences SaaS execs to guide the company towards realistic goals.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and hire leadership from Salesforce, Oracle, etc.