CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Did I mention great work/life balance (in 76 reviews)

• Fantastic Culture, Great Benefits, Career Advancement (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales Management, high turnover, work life balance isn't great if you've just started a family (in 13 reviews)

• It forces the sales reps to do a lot of their own support which takes away time from selling (in 25 reviews)

1. "Company in Transition"

Former Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation is generous and you have a lot of freedom to do what you need to do to close deals.

Cons

Lots of pressure as the companies transitions from advertising to software and faces significant competition.

"Sales Review"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are amazing. I came here for upward mobility and to learn. That's what I got. I've met some of my best friends who are co-workers here. Tons of team, division, and company outings. If you work hard and network well, you will succeed here.

Cons

Your book or territory will most likely be all over the place. A bad manager and/or book will make it difficult to win here. Lots of competition has entered the marketplace over the past several years.

Advice to Management

Casual dress in the office. Work from home flexibility.

3. "You don't realize how good you really have it until you leave."

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, decent pay, unreallll benefits (no exaggeration and a company that has really evolved to stay ahead despite the challenges of evolving.

Cons

Sometimes reps promoted to managers that shouldn't be. They can have a bad approach to managing but also a lot of solid leaders that end up becoming long time friends and care about your success. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Advice to Management

Hire me back please

"Non-Sales Back Office"

Current Employee - Non-sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Non-sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very pro-family, leadership understands the value of work/life balance. Very good benefits (after two years, you get 20 PTO days/year, after five years, you get 25 PTO days/year). For the most part, this is a good company trying to a good thing (match folks with jobs).

Cons

There does not appear to be much accountability for failure in middle and upper management.

Advice to Management

An outside perspective, particularly in sales leadership, may be beneficial

6. "Overall very goo!"

Current Employee - Software Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opp for a young sales person to learn a lot and learn a lot.

Cons

Lots of changes and you gotta keep up or move on from the company. If consistency is your thing careerbuilder won't be.

"Major Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive/SaaS Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive/SaaS Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

THE. BEST. SALES. TRAINING. EVER. I loved my first weeks in training at CareerBuilder, and have taken those skills and ideas with me everywhere since. I also met some of my closest friends during my time at CareerBuilder and hold those relationships very closely to this day. Great company. Great opportunity for advancement.

Cons

There is a lack of direction from upper management - best way to put it: flavor of the month. One day we focus on one product and sales ideology... the next, it is completely different and reps often become the scapegoat for management's wrongdoing. At the same time, SOME of management understands this and will become some of the best people you will ever work for - but it is all 'luck of the draw" on whether or not you are on a team that "truly gets it" or not.

8. "Stable and steady"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder (More than a year)

Pros

Work with smart people
    Leadership values your opinions/ideas

Cons

Communication is not always streamlined or shared throughout company. Low pay compared to similar jobs at similar companies.

9. "Best Sales Job Ever"

Former Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Best training in the industry PERIOD.
    - amazing sales teams and managers
    - great opportunities to grow
    - great comp.

Cons

Sometimes advancement can be difficult, there is a ton of external hiring which inhibit internal employees to apply for the roles. Senior management can be a bit confused and quotas are a tad out of realistic reach.

Advice to Management

Keep doing it! Training is what really makes CareerBuilder known for its super star sales mentality , I absorbed everything CB has taught me and am using it in my everyday career.

"Major Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary and dynamic work environment. My manager at the time was the best manager I've ever had to this day. The company is also growing by acquiring software organizations that increases their offerings.

Cons

Very much a boys club and you're either in or you're out. Additionally, much of the upper management has been there from 7-10 years and knows nothing else but CareerBuilder and that is a big weakness as they will not hire from the outside.

Advice to Management

Give the field offices more support and have your reps focus on less products instead of having them learn 10 different offerings and be spread so thin - a lot of options to sell is great but it takes too much getting to learn all of them.

"Looking back...overall a good experience"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I'll be honest, I was very frustrated at times! But I have concluded this is just part of the normal career experience. There is no such thing as the perfect job or company! It is what you make of it. Looking back, I have a lot of good memories at CareerBuilder and am glad I had this experience! (Please note: No company is immune from the cons I list....)

Additional info:
    -Overall good benefits (They often talk about their good benefits as part of the overall compensation package, so they are known for paying less than other companies).
    -For the most part, I had good managers
    -Opportunity for advancement. A lot of room to grow.
    -Flexibility
    -Well known company
    -Fun coworkers
    -With the decline of job boards in general, CareerBuilder is reinventing itself which is not a bad thing!
    -I learned a lot

Cons

-Sometimes low pay compared to other companies.
    -Sometimes lack of company vision which can lead to a lot of thrashing
    -Some unqualified leaders seem to stick around forever, jumping from position to position
    -Lack of accountability in certain areas of the business
    -Too much title inflation. There are some big job titles that don't match up to what the job responsibilities would be at most other companies.
    -CareerBuilder has a reputation of very high turnover of sales reps. Customers are even aware of this. I have often heard "I can't believe how many sales reps I've had in the past year. It's always someone new. They only care about upselling me, they don't care about the customer relationship."
    -Very sales-focused which frustrates non-sales employees. Sales reps often oversell, or the customer does not understand what they bought and have unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

-Maintain a company vision. This may have improved since I left.
    -Focus on change management
    -Focus on making great products that customers will love. CareerBuilder already has the name recognition, but is not necessarily known for excellent products with a great user experience.