CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • Did I mention great work/life balance (in 79 reviews)

• Fantastic Culture, Great Benefits, Career Advancement (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales Management, high turnover, work life balance isn't great if you've just started a family (in 13 reviews)

• It forces the sales reps to do a lot of their own support which takes away time from selling (in 25 reviews)

1. "There's a reason it's one of the best places to start a career."

Current Employee - Interactive Sales Specialist-U30 in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Interactive Sales Specialist-U30 in Chicago, IL

Pros

The company really cares about it's employees in every possible way. Their basic philosophy is that if they keep their employees happy they will A. be loyal and B. be more productive. They constantly do things for their employees, throwing parties with tons of food and booze, taking us bowling on company time, having a picnic at the Chicago Field Museum, throwing a lavish yearly kick off party with speeches by people like Colin Powell.

Cons

It's a sales job, which means lots of rejection and lots of time spent chasing down prospective clients. It's not an easy job and it's something that takes alot of work to get good at.

Advice to Management

I think the veteran sales guys should be in the tougher territories. I say this because the hard sell is not a great place for a beginner to start off.

2. "CareerBuilder review"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

opportunities for advancement, great benefits including gym fees and 401k, a lot of communication in the organization, and a fun place to work as well! the company hosts a lot of events, cubs tickets etc to give employees something fun to look forward to. they provide a lot of ongoing training which is helpful too. hard work is definetly recognized at cb, so if you work hard you can get where you want to be in the company. finally, careerbuilder welcomes ideas from employees in all different departments, encouraging them to submit ideas for advertising, new products and services, etc

Cons

its a long commute some days

Advice to Management

keep communication open as company continues to grow

3. "Careerbuilder - The opportunity is what you want it to be."

Current Employee - Senior Team Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Team Lead in Chicago, IL

Pros

The culture & work environment. The people I work with come from a diverse background. I'm constantly challenged and rewarded when I do well. Careerbuilder has a great PTO policy which allows for a great work life balance.

Cons

80% of the employees are in sales so if you are looking for a non-sales position they are tough to come by.

Advice to Management

The growth over the last several years has been amazing; how much longer can we expect to see this type of growth or do we foresee it leveling off?

5. "Careerbuilder has helped grow my career from a Customer Service Rep to Senior Sales and developed me as a professional"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive - Recruiter Business Unit in Chicago, IL

Pros

It is an amazingly agile company that is fast paced and if you are good at what you do your options in the company are available to you

Cons

Lower level sales has high turnover but also they are taking people with no experience most of the time.
    We feel the effects of the economy like anyone
    Sometimes Managers are promoted because of good sales, not their ability to manage

Advice to Management

Keep arming your sales people with a valuable product and keep competitive with benefits and careerpath. Challenge your employees who are driven to success and show them results whether it be money or recognition. I've seen people go down in the company strickly because of the hand they were delt or because of lack of experienced management.

6. "Customer focused, employee driven. CareerBuilder.com offers growth opportunities."

Current Employee - Online Specialist Account Manager (Inside Sales) in Chicago, IL

Pros

CareerBuilder.com offers fair compensation for productivity and effort. The company holds events that encourage employee satisfaction, teamwork, and opportunities to contribute to the work environment. On a regional basis, employee events and outings are held.

Generosity keeps employees happy and productive. Criticism is always constructive. Managers care about growth from each consultant.

Cons

Turnover in any sales position is a downside. CareerBuilder.com is not an exception. When you accept an entry level position with CareerBuilder.com, you understand that employment is based on effort and productivity. Some people thrive in sales, others wither.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the avenues of communication open between management and entry level. The efforts of management to listen to problems and help with solutions is admirable. So long as this continues, CareerBuilder.com will continue to grow as an industry leader.

7. "Great place to work if you can sell!"

Current Employee - Senior Online Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Online Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great room for fast growth and advancement! You will be shocked how fast you can move up at this company if you can sell!

Cons

It's hard to get started...very hard. You have to cold call very very often. Work hard and don't stop and benefit from all the work.

Advice to Management

Less paper! We need to go green as a company!

8. "If hardwork reaps rewards, then CareerBuilder equals hardwork."

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great corporate culture, the opportunities for advancement and to further your professional career are all a great reason to work for CareerBuilder. You are given an opportunity to prove yourself, for those who do a good job at it, are rewarded very generously. If you can prove that you are serious about any job opportunity at CareerBuilder, you will succeed. On top of generous rewards for doing your job, you're also given great benefits, that you would only probably find at a few other select companies.

Cons

Any job is hard, especially sales, at CareerBuilder it's either you succeed or you fail in sales, if you succeed you're rewarded accordingly, for those who fail, it's not always the best situation. I don't really see any downsides of working at CareerBuilder, unless you're in a sales position, but then again, it's really up to you to figure that one out.

Advice to Management

I think Senior Management has done a great job of modling this company into what it is today. Of course as any other company there are always deficiencies, however, I feel that CareerBuilder is still growing and will only keep finding better ways for dealing with those deficiencies.

9. "A great place for people who want to work hard and be rewarded appropriately for their work."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

CareerBuilder is one of the only employers that I have found where you get out what you put in. It is up to you how well you want to do. There is little office politics and I find it to be a very fair work environment. They reward people who work hard and strive to better themselves everyday. If you are the kind of person who asks yourself what you aren't doing right before looking to blame others you will do very well at CareerBuilder. Overall, I honestly feel that the company expects a lot out of its employees but treats them very well. The pay, perks, benefits, and environment are unbelievable. It really is up to you to determine your future and I like that.

Cons

It is a very hard job and you have to be extremely smart and motivated to do well there. The products we sell are intangible and it is difficult to measure their ROI so you have to be very business savvy to understand how they work and how they benefit companies. Furthermore, it takes an amazing amount of work to really succeed there. It is not a company for people who are just looking for a job but if you want to make something of yourself and start a career, CareerBuilder is a great place to do that.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

10. "CB - Work hard to Play Hard, Period."

Current Employee - Interactive Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Interactive Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

Careerbuilder caters to a young demographic of mostly recent college grads. Most of the entry level employees have little to no real world business or sales experience. The great thing about Careerbuilder is the fact that they train all new employees on such things as sucessful sales techniques and effective communication. Even if you come to CB with absolutely no sales experience, if you work hard and make a serious effort each day, you will reap the rewards in cash and/or promotions.

Cons

There is an introductory period to drudge through. You need to keep reminding yourself of the light at the end of the tunnel. (It's there).

Advice to Management

Never change :-)

11. "If you are willing to work HARD... the rewards will follow!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

I love working with people my age. 90% of the time, the work environment is fun and welcoming. Everyone at CB is very supportive of each other. Anyone who is a very hard worker, commited to success, motivated, likes working with people, and enjoys having a lot of responsibility should consider working at CB.com. The benefits are amazing. Health benefits are wonderful.. we even get $400 toward a gym membership, bike, etc.. All of my managers are very supportive of me. Finally, what other company can you work at where you can take a break to go play Wii tennis??!

Cons

I love having a lot of responsibility, however, this also leads to long hours occasionally. The company really enforces and promotes a healthy work/life balance, but I dislike going home when I know I have several tasks and clients that need tended to. I usually enter the office just before 8am and leave after 6pm each day.. occasionally after 7. Again, most people don't leave that late but I'm the type of person that needs things to be finished so I don't enter the office with a huge to-do list. It's hard for me to manage my time because of the huge responsibilty. Another downfall could be the environment. While I LOVE working with wonderful people.. sometimes it gets too loud, especailly if you are in a meeting or on the phone. All in all, there are not too many downsides for me!

Advice to Management

I wish there were designated sick days. I have about 3 and a half days to use toward sick, vacation, personal, etc... It would be great to have 3 and a half plus a few more for sick days. I would also advise senior management to promote better training. We receive 2 weeks of training.. and then you hit the ground running. There is never a day to sit and organize your business or strategize. Even 1/2 day to meet with your mentor, team lead, co-workers to discuss strategy for your account or for a spacific client would be HUGE for my business. This is something that I hear over and over again from several CB employees. Other than that, I can't think of much feedback, Senior Management is great.