CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

CareerBuilder Chicago Reviews

Updated September 18, 2017

Chicago, IL

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • CareerBuilder prides itself on allowing employees to enjoy a work life balance (in 93 reviews)

• Other pros-great benefits, wellness benefits, fun happy hours and team outings (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Its actually a great place to be and offers good work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• CareerBuilder has a reputation of very high turnover of sales reps (in 25 reviews)

"Software Sales Executive Role (Entry level)"

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- First job out of school with some sales internships in the past
    - Pay is competitive if not better than most entry level sales jobs
    - Company culture is excellent, many young talented individuals that help you grow as a professional
    - Work life balance is huge, 40 HR work week, flexible time off when needed
    - Management encourages and wants you too succeed
    - Well known company allows confidence with clients
    - Transparency from C-Level down

Cons

- Cant be afraid of dialing the phone
    - Must be able to adapt to change in structure

"New Business Software Sales Executive-Senior"

Current Employee - Senior Software Sales Executive-New Business Group in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Couldn't have asked for a better job right out of college! The New Business Group is where its at! CB is a great place to dip your toes is the water of the sales world and learn a lot. Didn't come in with a lot of experience 2 years ago but have learned A LOT since joining CB. Big Pros are if you put in the work you will get promoted quickly and continue to move into roles with more $$. I've been promoted 3 times in 2 yrs and my income has doubled. It never hurts that I whole heatedly trust the senior leadership and executives.

Other pros-great benefits, wellness benefits, fun happy hours and team outings.

Cons

Things change A LOT in terms of structure and process stuff. That can be kind of stressful but every change has left me in a better position than before with more potential to make $$. If you can handle change and a bit of uncertainty it will pay off.

"Company review"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at CareerBuilder for a year and half and can still say I truly love my job. Being in a sales role can be stressful as their are always quotas to hit. Management does an excellent job of motivating and encouraging their team and works to help their team develop.
    CareerBuilder prides itself on allowing employees to enjoy a work life balance. We work hard, but we also play hard. We have activities in the division in the work place as well as team outings. It really helps keep morale high. Benefits are great too!

Cons

If you don't like change, this is probably not the place for you. I don't mind it since the changes usually work out for the best, but it can be stressful.

"Awesome Place to Work - NBG"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my time I have been with CareerBuilder, I have had a great experience. The culture is great (lots of people who are just starting their professional career, happy hours, etc.), work/life balance is great (work no more than 40 hours/week, they won't let you!), and pay really well for hard work, along with perks for hitting your metrics, like Cubs Rooftop or Bulls/Hawks tickets. The managers will help you grow your skills professionally, too.

Cons

No cons, just be able to embrace small/slight changes within the group.

5. "Overall great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- You can sell something you believe in that really helps companies
    - Forward-thinking company - constantly working to recognize and adapt to trends in the market
    - Company invests in its employees - in terms of training, development, benefits, etc.
    - Defined career paths and opportunities to move up within the company
    - Our group (the New Business Group) strives to be fair and set everyone up to succeed as much as possible

Cons

- Sometimes people are promoted to management because they were the best sales people or because they know people, not because they would be the best managers
    - Especially lately, a *lot* of change. As long as you're adaptable, you'll be fine - but if you have a tough time with change, you'll have a tough time with this company

Advice to Management

Promote people (especially in management) based on merit, not based on how much someone is liked

"Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Software Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great pay
    -Fun work environment
    -Tons of opportunity for growth

Cons

Things are always changing, but in any company that wants to grow and stay competitive that is normal

"Non Sales Support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Every day is something new to tackle; you'll never be bored!

Cons

We move so fast that there's no infrastructure and communication from leadership down is poor. We win in the short term but don't have a long term strategy.

"Senior Software Sales Executive"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at CareerBuilder for nearly 3 years and throughout this time, I've loved the following things about working here.
    - Great work-life balance (never have to work more than 8 hours/ day)
    - They show appreciation for their top performers with great pay, awarded time
        off, and company paid trips
    - Great training programs through mentors, leaders, and trainers
    - No travel required (outside of coming to the office)
    - Summer Hours!

Overall, great company to work for and has helped me accomplish many professional and personal goals throughout my tenure here. Anyone would be lucky to work for such a great company!

Cons

CareerBuilder is fast paced environment, so you must be able to adapt/embrace change in order to be successful here.

"High Stress High Reward Environment -"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The People they hire for sales who are the boots on the ground are pretty amazing! I loved the people I worked with!
    You will come out a better sales person
    C- Level Leadership: CEO, CIO, VP of middle market Sales - AMAZING! Wish it trickled down to the manager level.
    Transparency- C-Level always let you knew where the company stood
    Pay is Good
    Benefits are very Good

Cons

Middle Management - The Directors and some managers (who learned from directors)
    You will feel like you are being fired every day - lead by fear
    The base is so high because you can't make the commission, not because you didn't make your number but because they changed your book on you before you could get paid on it. Most frustrating part of the job.
    Summer hours? I never once used a Friday off, if you are there to try and make money you won't.

Advice to Management

Do a manager evaluation!!! In fact do a manager skills test! I saw many amazing managers leave or get demoted because they challenged the status quo. Stop letting managers get promoted because they are just like you, or are your friends after work. Sometimes those aren't the brightest people. Let account managers keep the relationships they fostered. Get real, we all know its the unqualified managers/directors that are driving the company to the ground. Clean House! This company has something special, it just needs to be fostered with the right leadership on the ground level.

"Great Sales Training for Entry Level Sales - Not a Career"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to start your sales career at and the sales reps are really fun!

Cons

Management doesn't care and its a real mess.