CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

CareerBuilder Chicago Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Chicago, IL

Pros
  • Did I mention great work/life balance (in 76 reviews)

• Fantastic Culture, Great Benefits, Career Advancement (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales Management, high turnover, work life balance isn't great if you've just started a family (in 13 reviews)

• It forces the sales reps to do a lot of their own support which takes away time from selling (in 25 reviews)

"Great Potential and Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest leaders you will ever work with.
    The culture has been built over the past 20+years is centered around autonomy and empowering employees. If you like the idea of working in an entrepreneurial setting CareerBuilder is for you.
    Compelling product vision that is not completely there yet but it is already gaining traction.

Cons

The business is in the midst of a transformation from an advertising model to a mix of advertising, software and data. There are some definite bumps in the road along the way. However, the product vision is compelling.

Advice to Management

During this transition period you may lose some of your talent if you don't pay attention.

2. "Major Account Executive"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder (More than a year)

Pros

High level sales organization, cutting edge technology and software solutions. Excellent training and management, fast paced and always changing.

Cons

Lots of meetings lots of turnover and changing of roles

"Get back to the glory days"

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard, you will be successful here.
    Fun people

Cons

Constantly changing the goal makes it hard for reps clients to take them and CB seriously.

Advice to Management

Pay competitively compared to other sales organizations in Chicago. You have the data to know what that is!

5. "Great pay but lots of stress"

Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay very well, especially for people coming right out of college.

Cons

Very stressful environment with lots of meetings and mandatory time consuming side projects.

"Major Account Executive"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, well establish company quick to keep up with the change in the industry and great culture overall.

Cons

The rapid change isn't always backed up by proper support, adjustment in quotas, understanding of the new sales life cycle, etc. Quotas dropped in half though since 2014, so any sales position at this company up to National should not be near as difficult as it was in year's past. They will most likely go public in the near future.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to look deeper at mid-management's production. % to Quota isn't always a perfect indicator when there are instances where teams with bad managers might turn over 6+ reps in a year, but the manager still gets rewarded because upper management isn't peeling back the layers that led to having an entire team over 100%.

7. "Major Account Executive"

Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid company, culture, benefits and leadership! Freedom to run your own business with the accounts giving, and endless career advancement opportunity. Great coworkers and aggressive pay structure.

Cons

As a new hire there is lots to know and learn, so its impossible for leadership and training and teach you everything requiring you to learn on the job, and seek out answers and help. No hand holding

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Talent Strategist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Talent Strategist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, fantastic coworkers, great benefits, and a ton of employee perks/discounts. It's an excellent environment for motivated individuals and self-starters. The learning and development department is the best I've ever encountered. CareerBuilder constantly strives to improve employee satisfaction; it's great to work for a company where you feel valued.

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Senior Account Executive - Place Went Downhill"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started in the inside sales unit, followed by a promotion to Account Executive before I retired my CB career as a Senior Account Executive. This place was a lo of fun to work my first two years at CareerBuilder. It had a great culture, great perks (three time trip winner!) and a promising future. Then they tried to roll out their software package, micromanage the sales force and lose their best people in the process.

Cons

I ended up leaving because I was selling software that did not work as it should, was released too early and was not competitive in the market. CB tried to change too much, too fast. I always had the sense of "flavor of the week" ideas trickling down from upper-management but this was not a problem because the culture was amazing at this time. When they switched to software it became a madhouse. Middle management started freaking out and putting my friends on ridiculous 3-month performance plans that led them right out the door. They claim we are "consultative selling" but how come we had minimum quotas for specific products? I had to pitch products to keep my job that were not a good fit for my some of my clients--this is not consultative selling. I am glad I left when I did, it seems most/all my friends still there are either miserable or looking for a new job. I worked a little over 3 years at CB and had 12 different managers with only two promotions.

Advice to Management

You fired half your sales force in 2007. With your aggressive quotas, poor management and general lack of understanding of the direction of the company you are having the worst turnover that I have ever seen in my 3+ years at CB. Every study you published about candidate behavior suggests that the future of the company, and your brand in general, might end up being surpassed by even Monster.

10. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company really takes care of its employees and offers great benefits and opportunities for growth!

Cons

The department I was working in was moving in a different direction and the contract I was on was ending.

"Sr. Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

The company has a way of changing quickly to meet a market need.  If a strategic change needs to be made, the company will change and change fast.

Great co-workers

If you hit your numbers and are savvy navigating internal politics, you can move up quickly in this organization.

Cons

Sales Managers: The company's fast-paced culture has put a middle management layer in place that is not prepared to manage software sales reps.   The sales managers were all successful selling job postings in previous roles, but have no background in SaaS sales. It creates a lack of credibility in many cases, while turning some managers into micromanagers. But I should note there are a few managers who are good... Want to find out who's a good manager and who should be avoided? During the interview process, ask the manager about their turnover rate.

Lack of Consistency: Very little consistency from month to month, or even week to week.  One month we are told to put all of our focus on selling software, then the following month we are told to increase our focus on job postings.  Given the long sales cycle required for software, this approach is very counterproductive. It tells me the company isn't sure about its transition to a SaaS company and wants the best of both worlds.  Whatever the case, you get the sense that upper management is constantly sending down new directives to middle management based on changing winds.

Work-Life Balance: Careerbuilder has a few nice perks like half day Fridays in the summer and occasional happy hours, but when I am in the office I feel like I am chained to my desk. I feel a sense of guilt or "big brother watching" if I walk in a few minutes late. The concept of "disciplined freedom" is just lip service. CB has created an environment where reps don't have a desire to go above and beyond for the company unless they see a direct benefit. You can see it play out at 5:00 each day, when everyone gets up and walks out at the exact same time. Id rather work in an environment where I can get my work done in a manner that works best for me and my clients.

The daily dial and talk time requirement makes little sense if we are transitioning to a SaaS company. But as mentioned earlier, management doesn't seem to know what we truly are. So perhaps we should keep it for now.

There is a real sense of frustration amongst many account execs at the Sr. and Major levels.  Many reps are looking to leave while new reps seem to come in and disappear after a few months. The transition - or lack of transition - to a SaaS company is taking a real toll on everyone.

Constant shifting of clients from rep to rep: This causes several major issues:
    1) good clients are very frustrated because they constantly have to deal with someone new who doesn't know their business.
    2) low spend and zero biller clients feel like they are being harassed by careerbuilder reps, and just when one rep gives up, another starts harassing them again.
    3)  If you get an account that was managed well by the previous rep, you're in luck.  If you get an account where a previous rep burned a bridge, you're screwed.
    4) Tenured reps become frustrated when accounts they've been working are given to someone else, then 3 months later they watch another rep get the credit (and bonus) for closing a deal they started working on a year prior.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and stick with it

If we are going to make the transition to a SaaS company, bring in a few executives and sales managers with SaaS experience.