CareerBuilder Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Pros
  • CareerBuilder prides itself on allowing employees to enjoy a work life balance (in 83 reviews)

• Other pros-great benefits, wellness benefits, fun happy hours and team outings (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales Management, high turnover, work life balance isn't great if you've just started a family (in 13 reviews)

• It forces the sales reps to do a lot of their own support which takes away time from selling (in 25 reviews)

1. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, upward mobility, good culture

Cons

Poor/ inexperienced management in certain departments.

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, culture, benefits and professional development are amazing. Have never seen or experienced any badmouthing, backstabbing or disrespectful behaviors among or between employees at any level. Very authentic and passionate leaders who want to do right by the employees and encourage candor, growth, promotional opportunities and new ideas throughout every part of the business and at every level and location. Would have rated it 5 stars if we could get this sale behind us and move on.

Cons

There has been quite a bit of change due to the pending sale and employees are feeling vulnerable and uncertain for the first time in many of their careers with the company. The pay tends to be on the lower end and and benefits such as summer hours, that were compensating factors, are starting to disappear.

Advice to Management

You've created something magical here. Keep it alive by closely managing and communicating the change, the why's behind the strategy and holding those who are pulling us back from greatness accountable to higher expectations. Either consider paying competitive market-based salaries across the board, or get a little more creative with our benefits and keep the summer hours tradition going.

"Great place to get started"

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive NBG in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Sales Executive NBG in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great position for people new to the workforce
     - There is a lot of cold calling in the role, but you are rewarded very generously for the work you put in.
     - Great work environment. I can turn to anyone on our floor and ask for help or advice.
     - Given additional intensives for hitting our number (Cubs Rooftops, Bulls Sky Boxes, Team Happy Hours, Amazon Cash)
     - Plenty of opportunity to grow and get promoted.

Cons

- There has been a good amount of change at the company since i started, not saying the changes were bad, but if someone doesn't like a faster paced environment where things can change often this role is not for them.

Advice to Management

They do a great job letting us know what is going on with our group and are always up front about any changes.

5. "Innovative and Rewarding"

Current Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, culture, experience, travel

Cons

Need to invest more in the product teams. CB has unbelievable software that solves very large client problems, but roll out and delivery needs work.

Advice to Management

CB has great leadership

"Working at CareerBuilder"

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive-New Business Group in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Sales Executive-New Business Group in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Encouraging, fast-paced, fun, hard-working environment. Everyone here does their job well and works hard. We are especially passionate about the solutions we sell, and most importantly are passionate about the impact they have on the businesses we sell to. Supportive environment that is driven by sales and improved success.

Cons

Lots of change, not necessarily a bad thing. Just make sure you can handle being flexible and making adjustments.

"Software Sales Executive Role (Entry level)"

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- First job out of school with some sales internships in the past
    - Pay is competitive if not better than most entry level sales jobs
    - Company culture is excellent, many young talented individuals that help you grow as a professional
    - Work life balance is huge, 40 HR work week, flexible time off when needed
    - Management encourages and wants you too succeed
    - Well known company allows confidence with clients
    - Transparency from C-Level down

Cons

- Cant be afraid of dialing the phone
    - Must be able to adapt to change in structure

"New Business Software Sales Executive-Senior"

Current Employee - Senior Software Sales Executive-New Business Group in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Couldn't have asked for a better job right out of college! The New Business Group is where its at! CB is a great place to dip your toes is the water of the sales world and learn a lot. Didn't come in with a lot of experience 2 years ago but have learned A LOT since joining CB. Big Pros are if you put in the work you will get promoted quickly and continue to move into roles with more $$. I've been promoted 3 times in 2 yrs and my income has doubled. It never hurts that I whole heatedly trust the senior leadership and executives.

Other pros-great benefits, wellness benefits, fun happy hours and team outings.

Cons

Things change A LOT in terms of structure and process stuff. That can be kind of stressful but every change has left me in a better position than before with more potential to make $$. If you can handle change and a bit of uncertainty it will pay off.

"Company review"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at CareerBuilder for a year and half and can still say I truly love my job. Being in a sales role can be stressful as their are always quotas to hit. Management does an excellent job of motivating and encouraging their team and works to help their team develop.
    CareerBuilder prides itself on allowing employees to enjoy a work life balance. We work hard, but we also play hard. We have activities in the division in the work place as well as team outings. It really helps keep morale high. Benefits are great too!

Cons

If you don't like change, this is probably not the place for you. I don't mind it since the changes usually work out for the best, but it can be stressful.

"Awesome Place to Work - NBG"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my time I have been with CareerBuilder, I have had a great experience. The culture is great (lots of people who are just starting their professional career, happy hours, etc.), work/life balance is great (work no more than 40 hours/week, they won't let you!), and pay really well for hard work, along with perks for hitting your metrics, like Cubs Rooftop or Bulls/Hawks tickets. The managers will help you grow your skills professionally, too.

Cons

No cons, just be able to embrace small/slight changes within the group.

11. "Overall great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- You can sell something you believe in that really helps companies
    - Forward-thinking company - constantly working to recognize and adapt to trends in the market
    - Company invests in its employees - in terms of training, development, benefits, etc.
    - Defined career paths and opportunities to move up within the company
    - Our group (the New Business Group) strives to be fair and set everyone up to succeed as much as possible

Cons

- Sometimes people are promoted to management because they were the best sales people or because they know people, not because they would be the best managers
    - Especially lately, a *lot* of change. As long as you're adaptable, you'll be fine - but if you have a tough time with change, you'll have a tough time with this company

Advice to Management

Promote people (especially in management) based on merit, not based on how much someone is liked