CareerBuilder Major Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • CareerBuilder prides itself on allowing employees to enjoy a work life balance (in 93 reviews)

• Other pros-great benefits, wellness benefits, fun happy hours and team outings (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership is accessible, team is inclusive, work-life balance is more than fair and communication is easy (in 14 reviews)

• CareerBuilder has a reputation of very high turnover of sales reps (in 25 reviews)

1. "Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder (More than a year)

Pros

Strong Work Life Balance
    Great Products
    Exceptional Mgmt and Vision

Cons

Upward Mobility can lack at times

Advice to Management

Remember to tailor things towards the candidates and end user

"Uncertain direction with inmature leadership"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well know brand, work/life balance, great team members, competitive pay, great employee perks, attempt to pivot and expand offerings as a total pre to post employment platform.

Cons

Brand image not what the company has evolved to, company has been purchased (only told you are safe from leadership as massive amount of people are jumping ship or being wrongfully pushed out), huge integration issues, constant changing direction and product focus messaging from leadership, stuck with small book of named accounts that might not be even valuable targets, new hires get the worst accounts (no need, maxed out, lack budget to move, bad previous experience with CB)

Advice to Management

Have clear and consistent messaging to your sales team. Don't push out your best reps when they are exceeding or at quota. Good senior reps are better than new reps with lest cost to ramp up (seen this happen to others, is this to save over head cost on the commission side?) Work with reps to focus on good target accounts that will bring more revenue faster. Stop trying to put a square peg in a round hole. This is not media sales any more it is solution sales and that takes strategy and time.

3. "Major Account Executive"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong Comp Plan, Good Benefits

Cons

Constant Change (this also could be a pro)

"Sales Review"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are amazing. I came here for upward mobility and to learn. That's what I got. I've met some of my best friends who are co-workers here. Tons of team, division, and company outings. If you work hard and network well, you will succeed here.

Cons

Your book or territory will most likely be all over the place. A bad manager and/or book will make it difficult to win here. Lots of competition has entered the marketplace over the past several years.

Advice to Management

Casual dress in the office. Work from home flexibility.

5. "You don't realize how good you really have it until you leave."

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, decent pay, unreallll benefits (no exaggeration and a company that has really evolved to stay ahead despite the challenges of evolving.

Cons

Sometimes reps promoted to managers that shouldn't be. They can have a bad approach to managing but also a lot of solid leaders that end up becoming long time friends and care about your success. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Advice to Management

Hire me back please

"Ok experience, but could be soo much better!"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers, benefits, culture can be fun at times.

Cons

Sales Management, high turnover, work life balance isn't great if you've just started a family

Advice to Management

Mid-level management: Be accountable for developing your team. Get off your high horse and really help your struggling sales reps. Senior Management: Stop promoting these "would be managers" because they're great drinking buddies. VP of sales and above: to evolve into a true software organization, having the right people in the right place is key. Poor management in the levels below you is severely hurting the company evolution and execution. Also stop hiring external candidates like myself who were brought in to help change your old ways of thinking. Your sales methods are antiquated. Your strategic teams are poorly equipped based off the same methods you use from your telesales teams. Major and National teams are basically highly compensated telesales reps. I was more impressed with the East Coast (Atlanta/Carolinas) management and its a clear reflection why Chicago lacks severely behind them in terms of retention and new revenue generation. I really wish I had a better experience to put here but I'm clearly disappointed with what could've been something great. Very cliquey here in Chicago. The high turnover here is also ridiculous. Not one person is left from my new hire training as well as the hires one month before and after me. These are classes of 15-20 new hires per month! I'll end this by saying there's soo much potential here and it can be fun. I'm a top performer who has left on their own terms, but I was also an external candidate brought in as a Major Account Executive. If you get to start from the beginning at the lower levels here, it's better off. External candidates brought in at higher roles are at a disadvantage because most people here started at the lower levels including mangers. There's an instant sense of apprehension towards us because internal candidates were passed over for us and kind of unwilling to help at first. Okay I've said a lot here but on a positive note, there are some very talented managers there as well who've been promoted multiple times already. Seek them out for mentoring. Most will be down in the Atlanta region, but nonetheless they were very welcoming and really helped me along when I needed the help. Thank you for that, I couldn't be more appreciative! To the Chicago managers. It wouldn't hurt to pick up the phone and reach out to them. You could learn a few things as I have.

7. "Amazing Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company to work for. They truly care about their employees, flexible schedules, great pay, leadership is transparent and speaks with candor to the entire organization.

Cons

Been at the company for 3+ years and do not have a single bad thing to say about it.

8. "Major Account Executive"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun culture and fast paced with upward mobility.

Cons

Training is a con surly as it is very elementary and immature to business concepts.

Advice to Management

Be open to alternative perspectives of business.

9. "SaaS Sales"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, challenging work and constant changes

Cons

Lack of direction and confusion. Some of the leaders (field) are not qualified to run a senior level sales team.

Advice to Management

There is too much inconsistency with the messaging. Leaders ask their reps for unrealistic demands because they do not where they are heading.

10. "Great company for salespeople"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open door policy for all managers - you can walk right into anyone's office, including CEO.
    Great comp, benefits & PTO.
    Freedom to run your book as you see fit including ability to work from home/remotely for all sales reps.
    Amazing work/life balance.
    Travel opportunities.
    Many different solutions to offer so you aren't stuck selling just one thing like a job ad.
    Professional & personal development encouraged.

Cons

Very competitive space with new competitors constantly coming in.
    If you start falling behind on your quota, it can snowball on you and be very difficult to catch back up.
    What we sell is boring, but it is also very necessary.
    Sales support is inconsistent - the best support reps go in to sales, the rest leave after a while bc being customer service is a tough job. It forces the sales reps to do a lot of their own support which takes away time from selling.

Advice to Management

Continue innovating. CB is a completely different company than it was 10 years ago, and was completely different 10 years before that. Keep pushing the boundaries and developing new solutions.