CareerBuilder Major Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • CareerBuilder prides itself on allowing employees to enjoy a work life balance (in 97 reviews)

• Other pros-great benefits, wellness benefits, fun happy hours and team outings (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Its actually a great place to be and offers good work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• CareerBuilder has a reputation of very high turnover of sales reps (in 26 reviews)

"Great, mature company doing a good job not stalling or becoming complacent in the industry."

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*An old dog can learn new tricks...and still lead the pack.

*CB has the broadest offering of products in the market - all of which (with a couple exceptions) are extremely complimentary to our suite of solutions. Award-winning suite of products. First product I’ve sold that I️ actually believe in and feel good about selling.

*CB is continuing to invest in leadership, products, services, advertising/marketing....and yes, they decided to trim the excessive and unproductive spending (be honest tenured reps, you know it made sense)...No, sorry, gone are the days you just hop on a plane and fly from Atlanta/Chicago to California for 3 days just to hold 1 meeting. You guys took advantage of the leniency/culture and they’re rightfully putting an end to those shenanigans.

*You do your job, well, and you get paid, well. Some extremely well. Comp structure is changing for the better next year. Our input is being listened to.

*Very flexible working environment. Anyone that says otherwise is most likely an entitled Millennial that has never had another job outside working for Abercrombie or TGI Friday’s. Don’t expect “Google-quality” perks unless you produce “Google-quality” results.

*Kickass offices. Kickass benefits. Wellness (for now). Good 401k. Top-notch training resources.

Cons

*Uncertainty of company direction, compensation structure, benefits, metrics/KPIs and expectations.

*Slow erosion of company culture, granted some was necessary as I️ mention above.

Advice to Management

Chill out. Slow down. Take your consultants’ opinions with a grain of salt. Trim the fat but at least attempt to keep your good employees. Don’t assume everyone is going to or wants to “move on” - many want to stay but current comp/metric structure forces the hand of some valuable employees to look elsewhere.

Oh yea, and how about a fruit option along with Bagel-Monday and bagel-Fridays? Keep one employee from getting diabetes from years of bagels and cream cheese > the fruit will pay for itself through lower insurance costs 👍

☝️true story

2. "Great place to start or continue to grow your career"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast Paced, Always evolving and developing new tools
    Fun place to work - Family Feel
    Opportunity to move up the ladder quickly or change roles

Cons

Internal Communication between groups can be a challenge

Advice to Management

Continue to motivate teams. Communicate what is happening and what you are excited about.

"Major Account Executive"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and amazing work culture. Competitive salary as well.

Cons

Disorganized management and internal infrastructure.

Advice to Management

When promoting your employees, one make sure they are ready and two ensure you have a legitimate book of business for them to work.

"Anonymous"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good for getting experience. They have excellent benefits including health, dental, PTO, wellness benefits, two days off for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, generous 401k match. No weekends. Made a lot of friends.

Cons

Seems to be a sinking ship. Company was recently sold to a private equity firm specializing in distressed companies. They are trying to be a software company instead of an advertising company but they don’t seem to know how to make that change. They say the comp plan is changing in 2018 but they don’t know how they will change it yet. Just that the comp plan is changing. They also said books of businesses will be getting a lot larger but not the pay, however your opportunity will be bigger. There is a lot of cost cutting and people are quitting instead of getting fired. The company culture has changed rapidly for the worse and people are freaked out about what is going to happen next with the company.

Advice to Management

Don’t know if any advice would help.

"Uncertain direction with inmature leadership"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well know brand, work/life balance, great team members, competitive pay, great employee perks, attempt to pivot and expand offerings as a total pre to post employment platform.

Cons

Brand image not what the company has evolved to, company has been purchased (only told you are safe from leadership as massive amount of people are jumping ship or being wrongfully pushed out), huge integration issues, constant changing direction and product focus messaging from leadership, stuck with small book of named accounts that might not be even valuable targets, new hires get the worst accounts (no need, maxed out, lack budget to move, bad previous experience with CB)

Advice to Management

Have clear and consistent messaging to your sales team. Don't push out your best reps when they are exceeding or at quota. Good senior reps are better than new reps with lest cost to ramp up (seen this happen to others, is this to save over head cost on the commission side?) Work with reps to focus on good target accounts that will bring more revenue faster. Stop trying to put a square peg in a round hole. This is not media sales any more it is solution sales and that takes strategy and time.

6. "Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder (More than a year)

Pros

Strong Work Life Balance
    Great Products
    Exceptional Mgmt and Vision

Cons

Upward Mobility can lack at times

Advice to Management

Remember to tailor things towards the candidates and end user

7. "Major Account Executive"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong Comp Plan, Good Benefits

Cons

Constant Change (this also could be a pro)

8. "You don't realize how good you really have it until you leave."

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, decent pay, unreallll benefits (no exaggeration and a company that has really evolved to stay ahead despite the challenges of evolving.

Cons

Sometimes reps promoted to managers that shouldn't be. They can have a bad approach to managing but also a lot of solid leaders that end up becoming long time friends and care about your success. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Advice to Management

Hire me back please

"Sales Review"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are amazing. I came here for upward mobility and to learn. That's what I got. I've met some of my best friends who are co-workers here. Tons of team, division, and company outings. If you work hard and network well, you will succeed here.

Cons

Your book or territory will most likely be all over the place. A bad manager and/or book will make it difficult to win here. Lots of competition has entered the marketplace over the past several years.

Advice to Management

Casual dress in the office. Work from home flexibility.

"Ok experience, but could be soo much better!"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers, benefits, culture can be fun at times.

Cons

Sales Management, high turnover, work life balance isn't great if you've just started a family

Advice to Management

Mid-level management: Be accountable for developing your team. Get off your high horse and really help your struggling sales reps. Senior Management: Stop promoting these "would be managers" because they're great drinking buddies. VP of sales and above: to evolve into a true software organization, having the right people in the right place is key. Poor management in the levels below you is severely hurting the company evolution and execution. Also stop hiring external candidates like myself who were brought in to help change your old ways of thinking. Your sales methods are antiquated. Your strategic teams are poorly equipped based off the same methods you use from your telesales teams. Major and National teams are basically highly compensated telesales reps. I was more impressed with the East Coast (Atlanta/Carolinas) management and its a clear reflection why Chicago lacks severely behind them in terms of retention and new revenue generation. I really wish I had a better experience to put here but I'm clearly disappointed with what could've been something great. Very cliquey here in Chicago. The high turnover here is also ridiculous. Not one person is left from my new hire training as well as the hires one month before and after me. These are classes of 15-20 new hires per month! I'll end this by saying there's soo much potential here and it can be fun. I'm a top performer who has left on their own terms, but I was also an external candidate brought in as a Major Account Executive. If you get to start from the beginning at the lower levels here, it's better off. External candidates brought in at higher roles are at a disadvantage because most people here started at the lower levels including mangers. There's an instant sense of apprehension towards us because internal candidates were passed over for us and kind of unwilling to help at first. Okay I've said a lot here but on a positive note, there are some very talented managers there as well who've been promoted multiple times already. Seek them out for mentoring. Most will be down in the Atlanta region, but nonetheless they were very welcoming and really helped me along when I needed the help. Thank you for that, I couldn't be more appreciative! To the Chicago managers. It wouldn't hurt to pick up the phone and reach out to them. You could learn a few things as I have.