CareerBuilder Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • CareerBuilder prides itself on allowing employees to enjoy a work life balance (in 96 reviews)

• Other pros-great benefits, wellness benefits, fun happy hours and team outings (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Its actually a great place to be and offers good work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• CareerBuilder has a reputation of very high turnover of sales reps (in 26 reviews)

"Great place to work, uncertain future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's still a great, collaborative atmosphere where most people you encounter genuinely try to help you. People are free to share their opinions and ideas are listened to.

Cons

The recent acquisition by new owners still hangs a cloud over the short and long-term future of working here. There's clearly been a change in direction/strategy which has led to lay-offs, perks being taken away and general cost-tightening with regards to travel/entertainment. Time will tell whether these are the biggest changes or over time we become a much different company than we were...

Advice to Management

People are still behind the company but the potential gradual erosion of our culture is the number 1 concern I am hearing. Long standing employees don't stay here for the salaries, which are still below market value despite the spin we are given, they work for the work/life balance, perks and open/relaxed culture. If you lose this you will lose people and everything that makes CB special.

"A difficult transitional time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology / good resources available. Good office location in Chicago. If you have a good manager, you're likely happy and riding out the change just fine.

Cons

If you are in a small, non-sales department, you are often out of the loop. Leadership is either out of touch, or doesn't care - unclear which. So many decisions amidst change would not have been demotivating if they'd been communicated differently.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your people than the bottom line. If you do that, they'll do the rest.

3. "Great, mature company doing a good job not stalling or becoming complacent in the industry."

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*An old dog can learn new tricks...and still lead the pack.

*CB has the broadest offering of products in the market - all of which (with a couple exceptions) are extremely complimentary to our suite of solutions. Award-winning suite of products. First product I’ve sold that I️ actually believe in and feel good about selling.

*CB is continuing to invest in leadership, products, services, advertising/marketing....and yes, they decided to trim the excessive and unproductive spending (be honest tenured reps, you know it made sense)...No, sorry, gone are the days you just hop on a plane and fly from Atlanta/Chicago to California for 3 days just to hold 1 meeting. You guys took advantage of the leniency/culture and they’re rightfully putting an end to those shenanigans.

*You do your job, well, and you get paid, well. Some extremely well. Comp structure is changing for the better next year. Our input is being listened to.

*Very flexible working environment. Anyone that says otherwise is most likely an entitled Millennial that has never had another job outside working for Abercrombie or TGI Friday’s. Don’t expect “Google-quality” perks unless you produce “Google-quality” results.

*Kickass offices. Kickass benefits. Wellness (for now). Good 401k. Top-notch training resources.

Cons

*Uncertainty of company direction, compensation structure, benefits, metrics/KPIs and expectations.

*Slow erosion of company culture, granted some was necessary as I️ mention above.

Advice to Management

Chill out. Slow down. Take your consultants’ opinions with a grain of salt. Trim the fat but at least attempt to keep your good employees. Don’t assume everyone is going to or wants to “move on” - many want to stay but current comp/metric structure forces the hand of some valuable employees to look elsewhere.

Oh yea, and how about a fruit option along with Bagel-Monday and bagel-Fridays? Keep one employee from getting diabetes from years of bagels and cream cheese > the fruit will pay for itself through lower insurance costs 👍

☝️true story

"Sr Account Executive"

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work hard and someone will always be there to help you achieve your goals. This was my family for 5 years and I’ve met a lot of great people and am thankful for the opportunities CB has given me.

Cons

This isn’t the same company it was 5 years ago... Our brand and products are suffering and morale is at an all time low since before and after we were bought out. I personally couldnt shake the 120 people we laid off in September and knew it was time to leave after 5 years. It’s sad, but it’s not CB anymore, it’s Apollo. It’s all mainly inside sales now too... a tiny budget per team will allow maybe one person per month to travel.

Advice to Management

We need to clean up accounts and get organized as quickly as possible or more great talent will continue to leave. Our products aren’t yielding the roi they used to and I felt for the first time in 5 years that I was forcing and pushing roi where it really didn’t exist...

5. "Great place to start or continue to grow your career"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast Paced, Always evolving and developing new tools
    Fun place to work - Family Feel
    Opportunity to move up the ladder quickly or change roles

Cons

Internal Communication between groups can be a challenge

Advice to Management

Continue to motivate teams. Communicate what is happening and what you are excited about.

6. "Good company to work for"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate coworker, flexible working hour, good life and work balance

Cons

Uncertainty due to recent acquisition

Advice to Management

Develop fast, deliver fast sacrifices product quality sometimes

"Fine for a short while"

Former Employee - Verification Specialist in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Verification Specialist in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers
    Decent pay for recent college grads
    Paid holidays and days off for perms
    Pretty easy work, you do the same thing all day

Cons

Zero fulfillment
    Job gets seriously boring very quickly
    Some of the leads really let their position get to their head.
    Management has been slowly becoming more controlling, but are very aware morale is going down.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with that are not managers
    It was a great place to work...
    Sometimes we got fruit but then that stopped
    Fast Career Advancement (That has since stopped)
    Decent Bonus Structure (Backloaded though and Comp Pay is LOW)

Cons

It was a great place to work... Then the focus changed and it became terrible
    ZERO communication
    Lots of upper management drinking the CB juice and then handing it out to their reps
    2 years ago - CEO Matt F. once said that advertising isn't an effective way to capture resumes or create traffic... Now you can not listen to the radio without hearing an Indeed ad or Ziprecruiter ad. Even HRIS systems are getting into advertising. CB has once again launched TV commercials but the one I saw did not capture my attention.
    Rebaselines
    Management at every level in Sales (Boys Club) - I will admit that there were some very good managers that work there but it is not the norm.
    Fast Career Advancement which led to a lot of "How did they get that position?"

Advice to Management

Get your boots on the ground and listen to your people. My outlook is not great for CB in the next 5-10 years. A lot of work needs to happen to keep them relevant. Google entering the market is huge and could see that overtaking the industry just like Indeed did (Only a matter of time before Google starts to monetize off of the traffic). There's a reason why so many have left recently but that is most likely OK as you would not have to pay severance, should you lay them off. Without the mass exodus I am sure the first layoff number in 2017 would have been greater. You are entering a market and a crowded market with the software. You are no longer the big fish in the job board market nor are you in the ATS market, so you need to stop acting like you are. Your prices are high and after looking at other systems for my current role... well, your software doesn't REALLY set you apart. I hope the best for CB as I have friends that still work there but I can't fault any of them for wanting to leave.
    You get two star because you were a good company and I have met some great friends there.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong business ethics, good management style & teams

Cons

Company recently sold has shaken the employees and many were laid off, but many also left on their own accord, including management.

10. "SA"

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time

Pros

People. Culture. Products. Location.

Cons

Work life balance. Though a value not often adhered to

Advice to Management

Great. They actually care.