CareerBuilder Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

3.9
CareerBuilder CEO Matt Ferguson
Matt Ferguson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • CareerBuilder prides itself on allowing employees to enjoy a work life balance (in 93 reviews)

• Other pros-great benefits, wellness benefits, fun happy hours and team outings (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership is accessible, team is inclusive, work-life balance is more than fair and communication is easy (in 14 reviews)

• CareerBuilder has a reputation of very high turnover of sales reps (in 25 reviews)

"I was a contractor. Valued, but not highly valued."

Former Contractor - Talent Intelligence Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Talent Intelligence Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Young staff, creative people, team work valued

Cons

Contracted, moved desks involuntarily a lot

2. "CareerBuilder is an excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Project Strategist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Strategist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent management, work from home environment, team oriented environment

Cons

There is little upward mobility, and salaries are not up to speed, but benefits are excellent

3. "SMB Sales from 3/07 until 08/09 - Amazing entry-mid level sales job!"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work!
    Awesome sales training.
    Sweet benefits.
    Very cool co-workers.
    President's Club vacations are jaw-dropping.
    In 2007, I started with people whom now have Sr. roles at Google, SFDC, and LinkedIn.

Cons

High-level; fast paced. Only a "con" if you can't handle it.
    You best be ready to WORK/HUSTLE if you are fresh out of college. If you do, the opportunities are endless!

Advice to Management

Good management.
    Management should work a few accounts (which they opened/grew as reps) while managing.

"Fantastic place to meet people and learn but compensation is LOW"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, amazing work-life balance (1/2 day Fridays throughout the summer), access to any form of training, education reimbursement, quarterly team fun days, and quarterly bonuses!

Cons

Compensation is not IT-market based in Atlanta. Even with quarterly bonuses you will be looking at $15-$25K less in salary due to the added "perks" mentioned (summer Fridays, team fun days, education reimbursement, etc.).

Advice to Management

Use compensation to not only show value to your employees but to retain them. A lot of good talent walks out the door due to higher paying jobs elsewhere.

"Product Management"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great work-life balance, great leadership, and an overall great work atmosphere. Careerbuilder has shown that is not afraid to change in order to become a better place to work. The company has done quite a bit for my career already, and will continue to do so in the future.

Cons

Very sales-focused, some of the sales reps are very entitled and think the company revolves around them. There are also ceilings at the company once you hit a certain level since leadership has been entrenched for so long.

6. "Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Online Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Online Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Good pay. Good work life balance. Hours were 8:30-5:00. Managers were very approachable. This is a place that if I could, I would go back to.

Cons

Some managers were micro managers because your performance reflected their pay. Lots of meetings that took time away from your day, but some meetings were necessary like training.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Best career decision I ever made"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gives SO much insight into different industries. Our solutions truly make an impact on our clients business. I 100% believe in the products and services I recommend and sell.

Cons

Traveling is involved so if that's not in the cards for you I'd look somewhere else.

"Overworked and Underpaid"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great Health/Dental/Vision
    - Wellness Reimbursement
    - Paid days off to volunteer
    - Team outings and happy hours
    - Not a lot of micro-managing
    - Casual dress days (every Friday & Summer)
    - Summer Hours
    - Fun atmosphere
    - CareerBuilder does an excellent job of distracting their employees with fun games, prizes, and alcohol

Cons

- Pay
    - Terrible management
    - Terrible technology, no test environments for new code. Technology is from the 90's, breaks all the time
    - More work than fits in an 8 hour day, but no one is allow to work more than 8 hours a day.
    - Unobtainable expectations for daily responsibilities and for quarterly bonuses (nearly impossible to gain the maximum amount)
    - Held to a very high standard for customer satisfaction, so high it can take months to be evaluated positively after one mediocre evaluation.
    - When asking for advise or expressing frustrations the common response from people is "You have to not care"
    - Cutthroat environment for advancement.... it is not about who does the best job, it is a popularity contest. Moreover, if there is an opportunity for advancement, their are 200 people trying to get 1 promotion because everyone wants out of this role.
    - Continually changes operational procedures without telling the company much less training them properly before the changes occur. Then those in the support roles have to take the backlash from the clients.
    - Sales reps treated like gods, support reps treated terribly... no respect for those in this position.

Advice to Management

Look at other companies... see the base salaries and job requirements for this role. Most companies require half as much work and pay at least $10,000 more. You expect people to come into this role to gain experience and move on... yet the requirements for the job to be met; you must have long term experience in the role. It creates a chaotic environment that breeds employees that will only do enough to not get fired. There are no incentives to go above and beyond.

9. "Amazing people doing amazing work together"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Your career at CareerBuilder is what you make of it. There are many opportunities but you have to go get them, nothing will be handed to you. I love that I have worked here for many, many years yet I still continue to learn and grow every day. The people I work with are wonderful for the most part and we all truly care about this organization. The culture here is just amazing and we are very protective of it.

Cons

Salary will probably always be slightly lower than the market. It is unfortunate as I have seen many good people leave here because of that.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to everyone, we are the company's eyes and ears.

10. "Learning culture. Would rather take time to build rather than buy. No CareerGrowth"

Current Employee - Manager in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, casual environment and dress (unless your in Sales or Customer Care), Exceptionally good work life balance. Good benefits

Cons

No career development or planning as most leaders are not experienced enough to know how to do it. Salaries are typically average and bonus is only 10% for Technology and you must have Above Expectations performance review to receive it.

Advice to Management

Lead by example when it comes to career development. There's little movement for Team Leads & Mgrs as orgs remain flat with few Directors or VPs. No one really understands or practices Candor and Agility values