CareerBuilder Reviews | Glassdoor

CareerBuilder Reviews

Pros
  • Did I mention great work/life balance (in 79 reviews)

• Fantastic Culture, Great Benefits, Career Advancement (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales Management, high turnover, work life balance isn't great if you've just started a family (in 13 reviews)

• It forces the sales reps to do a lot of their own support which takes away time from selling (in 25 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great leadership, focusing on delivering sales and results for our clients.

Cons

The constantly changing sales force.

Advice to Management

Invest more in technology and web 2.0/3.0 solutions

"Glen Gary Glen Ross"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Denver, CO

Pros

pays well (if you are one of the 5% who hit quota) and outstanding benefits

Cons

Intimidation style of management. Described as a 'Glen Gary, Glen Ross' sales environment. Turnover at the sales position is extremely high and customers despise how many different sales people they have to work with over the course of a year. Management doesn't value long term customer relationships or long term business, only quarterly 'wins'. Company develops products at a blistering pace, most of which don't work well and sacrifice brand and customer loyalty when customer realizes they made a purchase with low or no return.

Advice to Management

Find an identity and stick with it. President of NA can't articulate who CB is!

3. "Great company where hard work is noticed through prizes, compensation and promotions!"

Current Employee - Online Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Online Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

1. Work/Life Balance – I never work over 40 hours!
    2. Internal Promotions – I have been here for 1 year 3 months and have been promoted twice
    3. Manager Support – My managers jump on calls, strategize accounts and provide feedback
    4. Training – We have trainings all the time so I can improve my skills
    5. Benefits – SUMMER HOURS, Wellness Reimbursement, Tuition Reimbursement
    6. Fun Atmosphere – Position requires a LOT of work, but my work is noticed
    7. My team does contests, team outings, fun incentives to keep us motivated.

Cons

1. This position has a lot of activity – high volume of calls, appointments but has very generous comp package for the work we do
    2. This is not an easy position, it requires time, work, dedication but with a strong work ethic you can get promoted fast and make a lot of money

Advice to Management

Although we have an individual quota, it would be fun to also have a team goal so it gives us something to work towards together.

5. "CareerBuilder will consistently challenge you to learn more as a sales professional."

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Pros:
    1. Solid corporate training program. T1 through T3
    2. Corporate sponsored education programs both within and beyone the companies boders.
    3. Excellent benetifs package.
    4. Excellent compensation package

Cons

Cons:
    1. Communication between groups is often in opposition of each other.
    2. Sometimes difficult to receive support and guidance from management or senior leadership.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to support a consistent message between the various groups, departments, and offices throughout the organization.

6. "Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

CareerBuilder offers great job growth, benefits, culture, and COMMISSION. I have been working here for a very long time and plan on continuing to do so.

Cons

Sometime direct management can be frustrating with some of the hoops you are required to jump through. challenging industry in a down economy

Advice to Management

To offer a better work life balance and leniency with taking time off work. work closer with the reps to understand exactly what the sales processes to implement new strategies.

7. "I was able to learn a lot about the industry."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Benefits, ability to travel, some stellar employees in sales roles.

Cons

Extremely limited opportunities to make money.

Advice to Management

Give your hard workers, your best workers actual opportunities for career advancement, opportunities to make money, quit pigeonholing your best.

8. "Great place to Start Your Career but then time to move on"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Pros

•Great benefits
    •they don't micromanage - allow you to run your "own business"
    •education opportunities
    •learn a lot about business to take elsewhere (some transferable skills)

Cons

•low salary
    •no room for advancement in Norcross location
    •low morale
    •they want you to leave after 2 years of employment

9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - National Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - National Account Executive in New York, NY

Pros

if you are a sales champion this company will reward you and your upward mobility is endless. The entire culture is sales focused.

Cons

The depth of knowledge outside of sales is limited. Thus you really have very little support when selling new products and services.

10. "Rewarding!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

First, this job isn't for you if you have issues taking initiative, want to work a 9 to 5, or if you don't handle constant deadlines. I've seen some reviews of people saying the compensation sucks if you don't hit your number...I hate to break it to you, but that's how sales works. Take away the quota, it's hard to get people to work hard enough to hit numbers and grow business.

Sales isn't a joke, and the reason this company is successful rests on the sales teams.

1. The benefits are fantastic.
    2. The compensation plan is the best I've seen in sales--tell me where you can earn an extra $50k on top of your base in an ENTRY LEVEL sales job.
    3. Lot's of room for growth--been promoted 3 times in 12 months. You do your job, you move up.
    4. Tons of development. Managers are committed to training and improving their staff.

Cons

1. This job takes more than 40 hours per week to be successful
    2. There are some sales people at the company that need to go--they're negative and they haven't hit their number in over a year. They're a cancer to the people around them. Management is sometimes too hesitant to let people go.

11. "CareerBuilder rewards hard workers"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Boston, MA

Pros

The reps who exceed quota get rewarded. The reps who are constantly below their numbers should re-evaluate their career choice. CareerBuilder is not a place for folks to come and collect a paycheck. You are expected to work hard and constantly manage your book of business. If you are able to do this - you will be rewarded financially and get public recognition.

Cons

Long hours and you are constantly working - much like any other sales job.
    Extensive travel