CareerBuilder Reviews | Glassdoor

CareerBuilder Reviews

Pros
  • CareerBuilder prides itself on allowing employees to enjoy a work life balance (in 90 reviews)

• Other pros-great benefits, wellness benefits, fun happy hours and team outings (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales Management, high turnover, work life balance isn't great if you've just started a family (in 14 reviews)

• It forces the sales reps to do a lot of their own support which takes away time from selling (in 25 reviews)

1. "A great place for people who want to work hard and be rewarded appropriately for their work."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

CareerBuilder is one of the only employers that I have found where you get out what you put in. It is up to you how well you want to do. There is little office politics and I find it to be a very fair work environment. They reward people who work hard and strive to better themselves everyday. If you are the kind of person who asks yourself what you aren't doing right before looking to blame others you will do very well at CareerBuilder. Overall, I honestly feel that the company expects a lot out of its employees but treats them very well. The pay, perks, benefits, and environment are unbelievable. It really is up to you to determine your future and I like that.

Cons

It is a very hard job and you have to be extremely smart and motivated to do well there. The products we sell are intangible and it is difficult to measure their ROI so you have to be very business savvy to understand how they work and how they benefit companies. Furthermore, it takes an amazing amount of work to really succeed there. It is not a company for people who are just looking for a job but if you want to make something of yourself and start a career, CareerBuilder is a great place to do that.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. "Great place to work if you can sell!"

Current Employee - Senior Online Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Online Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great room for fast growth and advancement! You will be shocked how fast you can move up at this company if you can sell!

Cons

It's hard to get started...very hard. You have to cold call very very often. Work hard and don't stop and benefit from all the work.

Advice to Management

Less paper! We need to go green as a company!

3. "If hardwork reaps rewards, then CareerBuilder equals hardwork."

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great corporate culture, the opportunities for advancement and to further your professional career are all a great reason to work for CareerBuilder. You are given an opportunity to prove yourself, for those who do a good job at it, are rewarded very generously. If you can prove that you are serious about any job opportunity at CareerBuilder, you will succeed. On top of generous rewards for doing your job, you're also given great benefits, that you would only probably find at a few other select companies.

Cons

Any job is hard, especially sales, at CareerBuilder it's either you succeed or you fail in sales, if you succeed you're rewarded accordingly, for those who fail, it's not always the best situation. I don't really see any downsides of working at CareerBuilder, unless you're in a sales position, but then again, it's really up to you to figure that one out.

Advice to Management

I think Senior Management has done a great job of modling this company into what it is today. Of course as any other company there are always deficiencies, however, I feel that CareerBuilder is still growing and will only keep finding better ways for dealing with those deficiencies.

4. "Customer focused, employee driven. CareerBuilder.com offers growth opportunities."

Current Employee - Online Specialist Account Manager (Inside Sales) in Chicago, IL

Pros

CareerBuilder.com offers fair compensation for productivity and effort. The company holds events that encourage employee satisfaction, teamwork, and opportunities to contribute to the work environment. On a regional basis, employee events and outings are held.

Generosity keeps employees happy and productive. Criticism is always constructive. Managers care about growth from each consultant.

Cons

Turnover in any sales position is a downside. CareerBuilder.com is not an exception. When you accept an entry level position with CareerBuilder.com, you understand that employment is based on effort and productivity. Some people thrive in sales, others wither.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the avenues of communication open between management and entry level. The efforts of management to listen to problems and help with solutions is admirable. So long as this continues, CareerBuilder.com will continue to grow as an industry leader.

5. "Careerbuilder has helped grow my career from a Customer Service Rep to Senior Sales and developed me as a professional"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive - Recruiter Business Unit in Chicago, IL

Pros

It is an amazingly agile company that is fast paced and if you are good at what you do your options in the company are available to you

Cons

Lower level sales has high turnover but also they are taking people with no experience most of the time.
    We feel the effects of the economy like anyone
    Sometimes Managers are promoted because of good sales, not their ability to manage

Advice to Management

Keep arming your sales people with a valuable product and keep competitive with benefits and careerpath. Challenge your employees who are driven to success and show them results whether it be money or recognition. I've seen people go down in the company strickly because of the hand they were delt or because of lack of experienced management.

6. "6-month employee review"

Pros

Being around young people all of the time with the chance to advance your professional career. CareerBuilder holds many events to keep morale up. If you are able to hang around long enough chances are you will gain great experience.

Cons

the base pay is low and near impossible to live off of. The work "minimums" are difficult to reach on a regular basis if you are taking care of other work.

Some peoples success can be from the luck of the draw depending on what team they are hired on to, this can be good or bad, it just depends.

It is a high stress entry level sales job, would you expect it to be all roses?

Advice to Management

Thank you for taking the advice of your employees, I am sure it is not easy to do seeings how large the company is.

Remember that sometimes dials dials dials are not the answer, quality of quantity would be a better rule of thumb.

7. "Careerbuilder - The opportunity is what you want it to be."

Current Employee - Senior Team Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Team Lead in Chicago, IL

Pros

The culture & work environment. The people I work with come from a diverse background. I'm constantly challenged and rewarded when I do well. Careerbuilder has a great PTO policy which allows for a great work life balance.

Cons

80% of the employees are in sales so if you are looking for a non-sales position they are tough to come by.

Advice to Management

The growth over the last several years has been amazing; how much longer can we expect to see this type of growth or do we foresee it leveling off?

8. "Very happy"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Norcross, GA

Pros

Working at Careerbuilder I've found some of the best friends I've ever met. Not only is my team great, we have a great work environment too. I feel that I am always told when I'm doing something good as well as doing something that I need to improve.

Cons

One of the downsides to working at CareerBuilder is the lack of equal compensation throughtout the organization. There is a much greater opportunity for salary advancements and monetary gain through our Sales channels than there are in any of the other departments. Those departments are vital to teh success of the business; however, because they are not directly revenue generating, their chances for more money are decreased too.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more.

"Pay Not Worth Low Morale"

Current Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - National Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

The sales jobs pay well but the new people they're hiring aren't making nearly as big a base.

Cons

The sales management is untrained and inexperienced in management practices. This really applies to both mid-level management and senior sales leadership. The feeling at the company, at least within the Enterprise division, is a real good ol' boy network. If you are one of the "chosen ones", then your career may flourish. If not, you better look for a new job. This is regardless of your performance against quota. The company is firing a lot of people across the company. Times are scary at Careerbuilder.com.

Advice to Management

You need to hire someone with senior leadership experience outside of Careerbuilder.com to lead your sales team. Your organization is far too incestuous with employees only promoting their friends and lovers. You need to keep the people over 100% of quota and those who have loyalty from their customers. If you want to clean house, be more subjective about who you fire.

10. "Careerbuilder is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The company is still growing so there are plenty of opportunities. The CEO is doing a great job at growing the company into something that will pass everyone's expectations.

Cons

In certain parts of the company it's not very clear what kind of careerpath people can look forward to. So if you at the company for several years doing the same exact job, it can get tedious.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but provide a bit more structure to the organization so we can be just a little more efficient.