CareerBuilder Reviews | Glassdoor

CareerBuilder Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Did I mention great work/life balance (in 76 reviews)

• Fantastic Culture, Great Benefits, Career Advancement (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales Management, high turnover, work life balance isn't great if you've just started a family (in 13 reviews)

• It forces the sales reps to do a lot of their own support which takes away time from selling (in 25 reviews)

"Major Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary and dynamic work environment. My manager at the time was the best manager I've ever had to this day. The company is also growing by acquiring software organizations that increases their offerings.

Cons

Very much a boys club and you're either in or you're out. Additionally, much of the upper management has been there from 7-10 years and knows nothing else but CareerBuilder and that is a big weakness as they will not hire from the outside.

Advice to Management

Give the field offices more support and have your reps focus on less products instead of having them learn 10 different offerings and be spread so thin - a lot of options to sell is great but it takes too much getting to learn all of them.

"Client Support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lithonia, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lithonia, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder (More than a year)

Pros

- great benefits and 401k
    - no weekends
    - steady paycheck

Cons

- bonuses are at manager's discretion no matter how successful you were in the quarter
    - favoritism
    - lazy upper managent
    - tons of work with terrible headcount and terrible pay
    - leadership lacks leadership skills; would rather gossip than work
    - extremely low pay
    - there are lots of company events that client support cannot attend; we are emailed to grab leftovers
    - company surveys show moral is low in client support but nothing is done to make the department better
    - they hire and fire temps left and right

"Looking back...overall a good experience"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I'll be honest, I was very frustrated at times! But I have concluded this is just part of the normal career experience. There is no such thing as the perfect job or company! It is what you make of it. Looking back, I have a lot of good memories at CareerBuilder and am glad I had this experience! (Please note: No company is immune from the cons I list....)

Additional info:
    -Overall good benefits (They often talk about their good benefits as part of the overall compensation package, so they are known for paying less than other companies).
    -For the most part, I had good managers
    -Opportunity for advancement. A lot of room to grow.
    -Flexibility
    -Well known company
    -Fun coworkers
    -With the decline of job boards in general, CareerBuilder is reinventing itself which is not a bad thing!
    -I learned a lot

Cons

-Sometimes low pay compared to other companies.
    -Sometimes lack of company vision which can lead to a lot of thrashing
    -Some unqualified leaders seem to stick around forever, jumping from position to position
    -Lack of accountability in certain areas of the business
    -Too much title inflation. There are some big job titles that don't match up to what the job responsibilities would be at most other companies.
    -CareerBuilder has a reputation of very high turnover of sales reps. Customers are even aware of this. I have often heard "I can't believe how many sales reps I've had in the past year. It's always someone new. They only care about upselling me, they don't care about the customer relationship."
    -Very sales-focused which frustrates non-sales employees. Sales reps often oversell, or the customer does not understand what they bought and have unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

-Maintain a company vision. This may have improved since I left.
    -Focus on change management
    -Focus on making great products that customers will love. CareerBuilder already has the name recognition, but is not necessarily known for excellent products with a great user experience.

5. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good people, great benefits, ok pay

Cons

The identity/direction of the company is evolving.

6. "Lunch Monitor"

Former Employee - Graduate Student in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Graduate Student in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at CareerBuilder part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I supervised young children in cafeteria during lunch hours.

Cons

I only get to hold shorter hours of work per week!

Advice to Management

I would like to use my people skills to cooperate with my coworkers and consumers.

"Fun job but Management is a revolving door"

Pros

Fun and energetic co-workers. Management is good but they don't stay long and the demands grew with each new Manager.

Cons

Demands for documentation of everything, right down to how many thumb tacks you have in your drawer. I kid, but only a little

Advice to Management

When you recruit good people and take the time and money to train them, you should work to keep them.

8. "Great for Advancement"

Pros

Opportunity to move quickly within the company, which leads to higher pay! CareerBuilder is moving away from the traditional job board and has re-invented itself into a full blown SaaS company, helping companies manage their candidates within a pre and post-hire software solution.

Cons

With reps typically staying in their role for around a year, most clients receive new point of contacts, which leads clients to repeating their goals/challenges and building new relationships often

Advice to Management

Help with the rep transition to ensure the client receives a smooth transition when reps get promoted.

9. "Best place to work at"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The flexiblility and the benefits that careerbuilder provide its employees are awesome.
    Depending on your position the flexibility may vary but overall it's an amazing company to work for.

Cons

Sometime you don't know where the company is headed even those there is company update.

Advice to Management

Value your employee, try harder to keep your talents!!

"Great culture, but lacks discipline"

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time

Pros

The CEO is great, and the organization tends to be very flat. You can walk into any executive's office, talk to anyone at any level. Everyone gets access to the same benefit package, it's relatively "classless." A really innovative firm that believes in trying new ideas and being agile.

Cons

There are some "boys clubs" and clicks in upper management. A lot of decisions seem poorly thought out. The CEO is awesome, as mentioned, but also seems to let poor performers stay in key roles for too long. People at the top stay around for a long time, even if they don't perform. Change management sucks. Compensation is average to slightly below market for some corporate roles.

Advice to Management

DISCIPLINE! Control your expenses, fire people in management that aren't cutting it. You need a COO that can actually pull the company together, every leader is running their own fiefdom right now.

"Client Support Specialist"

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time

Pros

Healthcare, PTO, People you know that are not in management

Cons

I'm pretty sure that when you are promoted to a team lead there is some sort of Stepford wife transformation that takes place. The people I knew who were very nice and understanding came out of the management program acting like the client support reps were the crappiest people on earth and that managers were gods!

Client Support is incredibly flawed and lead by an incredibly flawed good ol' boy system. If you don't know someone's father,mother, brother, sister, cousin, or second cousin twice removed then you are nothing but a piece of trash as far as leadership is concerned. Yes they will make a bunch of empty promises and make you feel special but they are backstabbers. . Management is totally clueless with how to improve the workflow and just throws mindless ideas at the wall to see if it will stick without going through a proper testing phase.

If the managers don't change their way of thinking or the actual mindset then this company does not have a chance on making it on their own.

Advice to Management

Quit the 8-hour giggle fests in your cubes and do actual work.