Carestream Health Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Carestream Health CEO and Director Kevin J. Hobert
Kevin J. Hobert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They care for their employees work/life balance and I valued my direct leader immensely" (in 16 reviews)

• "great people, Good fun work environment" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Too many reviews with Upper Management" (in 21 reviews)

• "I have never worked for a company with the level of incompetence at the senior management and executive level seen at Carestream" (in 10 reviews)

1. "It was a great place to work"

Former Employee - Workforce Analyst in Nappanee, IN
    Former Employee - Workforce Analyst in Nappanee, IN

I worked at Carestream Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They had a fantastic benefits package and I could never complain about the income I was paid. The executive leadership team is very smart and know what they are doing. The upper level managers and directors are great. They care for their employees work/life balance and I valued my direct leader immensely.

Cons

Currently undergoing layoffs due to profitability and ensuring financial stability.

Advice to Management

DO NOT SELL THE MOST PROFITABLE PART OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!
    While it really is a fantastic company, once the Dental business was split off from the Medical business.... it turned into the Titanic. I keep hearing about the rounds of layoffs that are occurring globally... tragic.

However, as I said.... the management team is great and in the 16 years I worked for the company in all its various forms, I was ALWAYS proud to be employed by them.

2. "Hard to improve"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time

Pros

Nice nice nice nice nice employees

Cons

Less less knowledge for managers

Advice to Management

More proactive for CI

"Senior Internal Auditor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Carestream Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Competitive pay and benefits
    2. International travel
    3. Tight-knit audit team
    4. Audit Management is very supportive
    5. Endless professional growth opportunities

Cons

Declining sales and growing reliance on fewer geographies, layoffs, debt, old IT infrastructure.

It's not clear what the future holds for Carestream.

Advice to Management

1. Focus on growing the top line,

2. The CEO had it right when he spoke candidly with employees about his plans for the company. Revisit that communication strategy and stick with it.

4. "Has its pros and cons"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Rochester, NY

I worked at Carestream Health full-time

Pros

Fun place to work and they do well as a company

Cons

Hard to move up in the company

"A Sinking ship"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is probably not too late to turn the company around

Cons

The company is experiencing strong headwinds. Three disastrous programs in XRS (Cone Beam CT, Ultrasound, and Nano) have decimated Carestream’s growth. Focus on these failed programs has taken resources away from working on our core competencies such as updating system software and launching new products the market so desperately needs. There are no new products in the pipeline!!!These problems along with the crippling tariffs on film in China have lead to a financial crisis.

Unfortunately, the same management team who made these disastrous decisions is still in place. They have been entrusted by our new CEO to turn things around. I do not believe they are capable of doing so. Even if they do turn the business around, the end game is to sell the company as soon as possible.

The most talented and mobile individuals are rapidly leaving Carestream. There seems to be no effort to stop this. I have never worked at a company with lower morale. It is truly depressing here.

Advice to Management

Replace the old Kodak management ASAP with professionals from the outside. This means everyone on the director level and above.

Did you ever consider that selling HCIS will make it very difficult to sell x-ray products to our customers? We won’t have a SW package to bundle it with... Duh!!

6. "Loved Almost Everything about Carestream"

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Carestream Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Progressive, Professional Leading Manufacturer, Quality of Employees

Cons

Long-Term vision was sometimes neglected leading to no new products resulting in lost market share resulting in workforce reduction.

"More Details (below) than a Headline can Describe"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Carestream Health (More than 8 years)

Pros

1) Pay is good comparable to other local companies. Benefits were good, but are being progressively stripped.

2) There is a small collective of high-performers that continue to do all that is necessary to drive the business and do the right thing.

3) (As a salaried employee) So as long as you are willing to regularly in excess of a 60 hour work week, you have the flexibility to construct/manage your work day.

Cons

1) Lack of transformative vision to save what's left of the business.

2) Change-driving projects, particularly in IT, rarely come to fruition due to 'Death by Analysis' by its principals.

3) Select R&D leadership is vacant and self-serving, with lack of innovative thought and positional insecurities that cause high-performers to exit the company.

4) There is a considerable gender and political pay gap, the correction of which may happen on a 1:1 basis, rather than based on performance merit. Personal observation was a peer doing similar work in an adjacent organization making in excess of $40k/yr more. There isn't pay-balancing/consistency, which sh/could be driven by standardization/harmonization of HR pay practices.

5) If you're determined and driven, expect to be 'worked to death' to make up for non-engaged employees, management that is focused intently on their bonuses (micromgt) and, notably, other good people/high-performers leaving the company. Our program and project managers for a major initiative left within a week of one another last year, and the project drags on because there is no leadership/passion behind it.

Advice to Management

1) Focus on, and fully support, transformative growth and innovation efforts in the businesses that are not being stripped and salvaged. Demonstrate some bravery and trust in passionate and dedicated employees who want to make a difference in alignment with corporate objectives.

2) Don't replicate the Kodak model of riding out the film cash cow until there's nothing left and you're left with entering odd markets that have nothing to do with the brand or value proposition.

3) Overhaul R&D, Manufacturing, Service and IT Leadership with fresh-thinking, passionate individuals that are determined to transform the business, and willing to lead in an agile, flexible, expedient manner. Be sure to place LEADERS in leadership positions, not EGOs.

4) As the current skewed demographics are painfully obvious, try developing high-performing female, minority and early-career individuals that demonstrate potential. Let their merits speak for themselves, don't take advantage of them, and don't make them fight for 'a seat at the table'.

5) Make ALL employees, regardless of position, spend some regular, dedicated time within the Regions the business supports. GMs may spend a copious amount of time traveling to have face-time with Regional peers and their various markets, but unless a direct understanding and respect for Regional needs/differences is understood by each individual relative to their responsibilities, little will change.

6) Find a way to exit people who simply don't want to be with the company. Difficult to execute, understandably, but necessary.

"Started Out Great"

Current Employee - Procurement in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Procurement in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people that do the work

Cons

Secretive management that appears to be having problems getting the business refocused

Advice to Management

Trust the workers

"Was great at first, feels like a sinking ship now"

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was great at first, feels like a sinking ship now

Cons

Bean counter mentality has taken over. Employee moral is almost non existent

"Great people, great product"

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time

Pros

Intelligent, collaborative people to work with
    Even after changes, benefits are better then most peer companies

Cons

It seems that too many times, decisions are short term goal oriented. Products like the wireless DR detector are industry firsts, trend setters -- but no follow up.

Advice to Management

Infuse new talent