Carestream Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Carestream Health Reviews

Updated January 8, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is way better than previous jobs (in 13 reviews)

• great people, Good fun work environment (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • ludicrous exceptions of doing 2 jobs and no work life balance is still not enough to keep management happy (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management needs to inject passion, energy, and focus into this place more often (in 21 reviews)

"Schadenfreude R Us!"

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time

Pros

One of the few companies that hires, rewards, and promotes previously unemployable sociopaths. You gotta feel good about that! It's a short walk to the building. Although it is a vintage model, I have a company provided desk. There's also a company provided chair, but it so grossly stained from previous users I'm thinking of bringing in my own.

Cons

There is a management chain of many layers whose sole function appears to be inflicting pain on the individual contributors doing the work. The entire culture is negative and toxic. This is one bleak place to work. The company is not growing and probably never will.

Advice to Management

Cash out and go home

"Challenging work, outdated culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well, very smart employees, challenging and complex products, interesting technology stack

Cons

Poor requirements, lack of strong decision makers in middle management, stuck in waterfall development model, outdated culture

Advice to Management

Embrace the Agile software methodology from the top down, and get your teams integrated with each other instead of in separate silos with separate goals. Stop the performance ranking - if someone isn't pulling their weight, and you know they probably never will, just cut ties and move on. Get rid of the old Kodak culture.

"Carestream Review"

Pros

The technology, and the ability to have multiple roles within the workplace.

Cons

Poorly managed at all levels.

Advice to Management

Have a solid plan to execute our product before selling to customers, so we can met and exceed customer requirements.

"Field engineer"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best job I've had to date when it comes to support, help is available as needed through various processes. Work life balance is way better than previous jobs. Training is as good as it gets for oem equipment. Benefits are excellent. Just do your job and take pride in your work the rest falls into place.

Cons

Antiquated processes for example parts management is antiquated by years of other processes in place by other companies. It can get hairy at times and be involved for the FE almost to the point of being considered a part time job. And lastly my favorite CRM for call management. When you open the program and its dated back to the mid 90s I mean, it to as well can be involving at times.

Advice to Management

Look at process improvement to reflect the century we are in to streamline paperwork, parts utilization, and returns and were on the road to greatness

5. "Manager"

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

Old school culture, difficult to change

"Not a healthy company"

Current Employee - R&D Engineer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - R&D Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting products, innovative R&D teams, the working level teams truly care and put their heart and soul into the products. Excellent pay, solid benefits. Truly a global company with products that are often top in their categories. So much potential is managed by true leaders.

Cons

Senior management talks about employee morale yet actions do not match words. Even fairly high level leaders are micro managed by the ELT to an amazing level of lower level details, controlling every penny spent and every decision made. Decisions are seemingly made with the very short term financial impact being the primary driver with little emphasis on long term growth. It just does not feel like a healthy company. Having been 8 years since acquired by Onex, and an unsuccessful attempt at sale 3 years ago, employees are standing by waiting to see the next move. This makes for a depressing environment filled with rumors and management does little to alleviate these fears. Sadly people stay because the Rochester market is not great but in the long run this doesn't feel like a company that will attract a new generation of talent and therefore will die as the long term Kodak employees retire.

Advice to Management

Stop leading with old school GE principles and embrace modern management styles. Even GE has eliminated the relative performancr system. Trust the top talent you have placed in lead roles and stop micromanaging every small operational detail. Instead work on building and conveying a 5-10 year strategic vision that will inspire teams to excel.

"sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

benefits and salary are competitive

Cons

Worst managed company I've ever worked for. HR is totally ineffective, completely on management side. No career path unless you are part of good old boy/girl group. Culture of bullying and harassment through out management. Management claims they want team work, but encourage employees to throw each other under the bus! Extremely hostile work environment. Wish I would have paid more attention to these reviews before joining Carestream

Advice to Management

Management needs complete turnover - although it's probably to late. They use old GE management system that are outdated and don't work. Management verbally belittles employees. They don't seem to understand the market or future of industry, just want to make their bonus now.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a good place to learn and implement new technologies. The products demand performance and highest possible reliability.

Cons

The review/ranking system is extremely negative in nature.

Advice to Management

Negative motivation is stubbornly backward.

"RUN! Leave before they suck all the life out of you!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Carestream Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers were nice, but so riddled with fear of losing their jobs they would never speak up to make positive change.
    The CEO once served me ice cream in the cafeteria for a fund raiser.

Cons

Complete lack of respect for employees. We were treated like a warm body, easily replaced and without much consideration. They like to hire from the outside instead of developing existing capable employees. So many very talented people stuck in dead end jobs, their only crime - not being a part of the "good ole boy" system. As so many people have mentioned, the performance review system is RIDICULOUS! How can you meet all of your personal goals for the year and still be considered a "low performer". How can you work be judged by a mysterious group of your "peers" and not your actual manager who has direct knowledge of your abilities?
    When I tried to voice my issues with HR, the representative told me that I had no room to complain, she actually had it WORSE than me! I was given no direction, coaching, suggestions or feedback - basically sent back to do my job and be grateful for my paycheck.
    If you're even considering the possibility of working here, I highly suggest you read through the YEARS of reviews posted. It's not getting any better...

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like they are easily replaced. We get it, you're in charge - but you can inspire people to perform at a higher level when you treat them with respect.
    Stop sending out your silly surveys asking the little people what would make them happy. That's condescending and disrespectful. YOU KNOW HOW TO TREAT PEOPLE - DO IT!

"IT Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of time. Work life balance. Good benefits, health, dental, vision.

Cons

Not very organized work environment. No clarity of role.