Carestream Health Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 6 reviews

2.6
Carestream Health CEO Kevin J. Hobert
Kevin J. Hobert

"Challenging work, outdated culture"

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Pays well, very smart employees, challenging and complex products, interesting technology stack

Cons

Poor requirements, lack of strong decision makers in middle management, stuck in waterfall development model, outdated culture

Advice to Management

Embrace the Agile software methodology from the top down, and get your teams integrated with each other instead of in separate silos with separate goals. Stop the performance ranking - if someone isn't pulling their weight, and you know they probably never will, just cut ties and move on. Get rid of the old Kodak culture.

Carestream Health2016-03-30

"A Sinking ship"

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

It is probably not too late to turn the company around

Cons

The company is experiencing strong headwinds. Three disastrous programs in XRS (Cone Beam CT, Ultrasound, and Nano) have decimated Carestream’s growth. Focus on these failed programs has taken resources away from working on our core competencies such as updating system software and launching new products the market so desperately needs. There are no new products in the pipeline!!!These problems along with the crippling...

Advice to Management

Replace the old Kodak management ASAP with professionals from the outside. This means everyone on the director level and above. Did you ever consider that selling HCIS will make it very difficult to sell x-ray products to our customers? We won’t have a SW package to bundle it with... Duh!!

Carestream Health2019-03-09

"Schadenfreude R Us!"

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time

Pros

One of the few companies that hires, rewards, and promotes previously unemployable sociopaths. You gotta feel good about that! It's a short walk to the building. Although it is a vintage model, I have a company provided desk. There's also a company provided chair, but it so grossly stained from previous users I'm thinking of bringing in my own.

Cons

There is a management chain of many layers whose sole function appears to be inflicting pain on the individual contributors doing the work. The entire culture is negative and toxic. This is one bleak place to work. The company is not growing and probably never will.

Advice to Management

Cash out and go home

Carestream Health2016-05-13

"Love firefighting? Join here or your local FD"

Current Employee - Senior Software Quality Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Some very good people here who actually want to do the right thing and build excellent products. These are people to learn from and haven't been already jaded by mid/upper management.

Cons

Hyper and inflexible schedule driven. Less concern for the true cost of quality, design for longevity, or employee satisfaction. More concerned with management bonuses. Focus is to rush to market then fix all the issues as a direct result and then punish everyone for having to make these fixes.

Advice to Management

Start walking the talk and abandon the schedule-only driven approach and truly support the DesignForX initiative that so far has ONLY been given lip service. Eliminate the moral-busting employee ranking appraisal system that continues to reward only the select few and demoralize the greater good.

Carestream Health2016-01-07
  5. "Senior Software Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Great pay, great to work from a Home Office.

Cons

Few Training Opportunities, few opportunities forgrowth

Carestream Health2019-04-16
  6. "Software engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tel Aviv-Yafo

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

At Carestream we strive for excellence and to provide the best products to our customers. It is our mission to have intuitive, usable and high-quality products without sacrificing quality or potentially doing harm.

Cons

Strict work ethics and bureaucratics but otherwise a great place.

Carestream Health2016-09-29