Carestream Health Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 13 reviews

2.8
Carestream Health CEO Kevin J. Hobert
Kevin J. Hobert
  1. "Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Greece, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Friendly people, opportunity for an annual bonus, removal of stack ranking, fun friday's during the spring/summer

Cons

Work in a building that used to be a warehouse. It is rather industrial in feel.

Carestream Health2018-06-14

"A Sinking ship"

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

It is probably not too late to turn the company around

Cons

The company is experiencing strong headwinds. Three disastrous programs in XRS (Cone Beam CT, Ultrasound, and Nano) have decimated Carestream’s growth. Focus on these failed programs has taken resources away from working on our core competencies such as updating system software and launching new products the market so desperately needs. There are no new products in the pipeline!!!These problems along with the crippling...

Advice to Management

Replace the old Kodak management ASAP with professionals from the outside. This means everyone on the director level and above. Did you ever consider that selling HCIS will make it very difficult to sell x-ray products to our customers? We won’t have a SW package to bundle it with... Duh!!

Carestream Health2019-03-09
  3. "Good pay - terrible culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Carestream Health

Pros

The pay was great and honestly most of the people couldn't have been nicer.

Cons

The Ridge Road location is soul crushing. A big warehouse with cubes and few windows. You have to pay for a cup of coffee that comes from those gross motel style packets. If you go to a happy hour you have to pay for your drinks. Very little socializing. If you're a young person you probably won't make any friends here and will want to put in your 8 hours and then get out of there.

Advice to Management

For God's sake, pay everyone 1% less and give them some perks like free (good) coffee, paid happy hours, a ping pong table, and maybe people will want to stick around instead of racing out of there at 4:45 every day.

Carestream Health2017-05-06

"Schadenfreude R Us!"

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time

Pros

One of the few companies that hires, rewards, and promotes previously unemployable sociopaths. You gotta feel good about that! It's a short walk to the building. Although it is a vintage model, I have a company provided desk. There's also a company provided chair, but it so grossly stained from previous users I'm thinking of bringing in my own.

Cons

There is a management chain of many layers whose sole function appears to be inflicting pain on the individual contributors doing the work. The entire culture is negative and toxic. This is one bleak place to work. The company is not growing and probably never will.

Advice to Management

Cash out and go home

Carestream Health2016-05-13

"Challenging work, outdated culture"

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Pays well, very smart employees, challenging and complex products, interesting technology stack

Cons

Poor requirements, lack of strong decision makers in middle management, stuck in waterfall development model, outdated culture

Advice to Management

Embrace the Agile software methodology from the top down, and get your teams integrated with each other instead of in separate silos with separate goals. Stop the performance ranking - if someone isn't pulling their weight, and you know they probably never will, just cut ties and move on. Get rid of the old Kodak culture.

Carestream Health2016-03-30

"Love firefighting? Join here or your local FD"

Current Employee - Senior Software Quality Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Some very good people here who actually want to do the right thing and build excellent products. These are people to learn from and haven't been already jaded by mid/upper management.

Cons

Hyper and inflexible schedule driven. Less concern for the true cost of quality, design for longevity, or employee satisfaction. More concerned with management bonuses. Focus is to rush to market then fix all the issues as a direct result and then punish everyone for having to make these fixes.

Advice to Management

Start walking the talk and abandon the schedule-only driven approach and truly support the DesignForX initiative that so far has ONLY been given lip service. Eliminate the moral-busting employee ranking appraisal system that continues to reward only the select few and demoralize the greater good.

Carestream Health2016-01-07
  7. "This is great company. I like woking here."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Carestream Health

Pros

When I got this job. I am so exiting. I like this company. I learn a lot of new technical skill from this company.

Cons

I have great time in here with my colleges. We get the job done very well . It already great. I don't have any suggestion for you guys.

Advice to Management

He do a great job. the company is done very well. He is a nice guy. give me a lot of help.

Carestream Health2015-11-05

"Carestream had the opportunity to be great, now I'm not sure."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Carestream Health full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Designing innovative, useful products. Good co-workers. Excellent pay. Successfully shedding Kodak culture and becoming more nimble and innovative.

Cons

Culture of fear based on yearly performance ranking and firing bottom 10%. International wokforce hard to coordinate, leads to product development inefficiency. Once innovative detector products have been bypassed by competitors. Top people don't stay long.

Advice to Management

You have long ago fired the loafers and incompetents. Now your'e firing good people. Find a better appraisal system.

Carestream Health2013-06-11

"A good growth oppurtunity that leaves little time for work life balance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer/Developer in Oakdale, MN

I have been working at Carestream Health

Pros

The digital output business segment is successful , productive and competent. Compensation and benefits are fair. Co-workers are helpful and there is a sense of "being in it together" .

Cons

All success development schedules and budgets that impose undue risks in the finished product and invariably require copius amounts of overtime to achive. Human resources policies that mandate the use of relative performance apprasails long after weeding out underperformers.

Advice to Management

End the use of relative performance apprassails and allow direct manangement to deal with employee defeciencies. Firing and replacing the bottom 10 % is no longer an effective stradegy to improve productivity.

Carestream Health2011-12-16

"Run. Don't look back."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Carestream Health

Pros

Challenging work on medical products. Opportunity to interface with multinational partners, customers and work with some very talented coworkers. Constant job openings due to the 10% reductions and restructuring. Average benefits, good location.

Cons

Management is following the GE model of Topgrading throughout Rochester. Continual ranking, walking out the bottom 10% frequently. No training, must wrap yourself around your boss to survive. Long hours slogging away. Creating a long slow ride down a draining pool of talented people.

Advice to Management

Put together your data , if it exists, on the topgrading done so far and share with employees its affects on the bottom line. Expose the method to the madness.

Carestream Health2011-05-27