Carey International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gary L. Kessler

Pros
  • I've been blessed to worked with some great mentors during my tenure (past & current), as well as great co-workers (in 3 reviews)

• Management has open door policy (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can be seen drinking at 7 am during busy events such as Superbowl, while lower employees are being slaved for 12 hour or more shifts (in 5 reviews)

• No raises and no matching on 401K (in 4 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Carey International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people who you should work with

Cons

Compensation should go up. Not good right now

Advice to Management

all good

2. "Sales"

I have been working at Carey International full-time

Pros

An interesting industry, and very helpful co-workers in various departments.

Cons

Lots of moving parts, so communication may suffer from time to time.

3. "Dispatcher"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Livonia, MI

I worked at Carey International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, and a great boss.

Cons

Slow at making upgrades, and wage increases.

5. "Coordinator"

I worked at Carey International full-time

Pros

Great team admosphere. Smart and effective management team.

Cons

High-stress atmosphere. Lots of moving pieces.

Advice to Management

Slow down on the number of things you are trying to accomplish. Too much too fast.

"Drunk bozos attempting to run a company"

Former Employee - Reservation Specialist/Dispatch in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Reservation Specialist/Dispatch in New York, NY

I worked at Carey International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Causal dress, monthly lunch which consisted of not enough food

Cons

Boy did I make the mistake of coming here. I slaved for four years to be laid off on my day off. Upper management can be seen drinking at 7 am during busy events such as Superbowl, while lower employees are being slaved for 12 hour or more shifts. Any praise gets taken from you and management tries to make it seem like they did it but make a mistake and no one backs you up. Training is throwing you on the phone with a customer and seeing how well you do. I've never encountered such a disgraceful company. You had dispatchers and reservation agents that were with your company for over 15 to 20 plus years and gave them nothing but the boot and a horrible severance package. You should be ashamed. But you're all too drunk to care. Blatant favoritism and no way of advancing unless you've been there for so many years but if you're not a favorite, expect to be stuck in the same position.

Advice to Management

Value what employees you have left. Give raises that comply with the standard of living. Be aware that due to you shady business practices not even uber wanted to tarnish their name with you and lyft gave you the finger for a reason.

"Beware"

I have been working at Carey International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Just a place to work in the meanwhile. Good co workers

Cons

No raises, no promotions, management takes credit and you will either get a thank you for doing their jobs. I was hired to do entry level work. Some years has passed and I am doing management work at the same entry level title & salary, they might as well had promoted from within then to hire people who has no interest in learning. Middle Management doesn't care as long as they can find anyone with common personal interest to take on lower management responsibilities, rub elbows with, go out to have drinks after work and take credit from lower employees for doing their jobs.

Advice to Management

Needs to promote from within--some of the best, hard working and knowledgeable employees are those that started from the bottom and the worst managers tend to come from the outside.

Senior management needs to step in and see what's going on with the hourly employees and why management is getting paid for doing little to nothing?. The yealy evaluations are a joke and overlooked, it's just a waste of time and ink. I guess the middle management treat the hourly employees the same way the upper management treats them. Oh and if you're not working in the new facility with the upper management in Frederick MD, dont expect any luxury things such as a in-house fitness, shower/locker rooms, employee lounge area and much more, but yet we salary employees in other states only get a thank you while they enjoy their new amenities on our hard work.

8. "Director"

I have been working at Carey International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fair and provides opportunity for growth in exchange for hard work. Creative team of caring leadership who has done incredibly to provide the best working environment they can for their employees.

Cons

Organizational culture needs further development to allow for a more collaborative and constructive work environment.

"Eh."

I have been working at Carey International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They start pay at $12.20 per hour and promote from within.

Cons

They don't care about employees. The health insurance is garbage, well, the dental and vision is okay. No psychiatric medications/services are covered. If you get hurt or sick they give you crap for using your sick time. There is only one supervisor who cares. The rest get paid to do nothing. The company is constantly trying to cut corners and save money so that someone will buy them. The chairs and computers are over a decade old and will never be replaced.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and they will invest in you. Also, perhaps treat your employees like humans.

Carey International Response

Oct 15, 2016

Thank you for your comments. As further clarification, we would like to share with you the following. Indeed, Carey's starting pay is $12.20 for those employees hired to work in our Worldwide ... More

10. "Limousine Driver"

Former Employee - Corporate Driver in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Corporate Driver in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Carey International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason was seeing the smiles or realizing the impact you and the comp. had on the customers. The very interesting conversations, The joy of driving was enhanced by the limo's themselves.

Cons

sometimes the delivery drive could be long and boring, if you got a super busy customer. A couple times driving home from Sedona, the trip was tiring and boring, but all in all it' was not a bad job.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like gold and they will deliver no matter what, they will charge through hell and high water to make sure all is as it should be at the end of the day.

"Keep your current job until after the 3-4 weeks training here"

Former Employee - Reservation Specialist in Walkersville, MD
    Former Employee - Reservation Specialist in Walkersville, MD

I worked at Carey International (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a good company to work for as far as receiving benefits, 401k, health and dental insurance and very laid back in dress code.Pretty cool environment (break rooms with futons and therapeutic lamps and music. Get all holidays off.

Cons

Not much room for errors. They give you test that if you don't pass they will terminate your employment.

Advice to Management

Better explain the terms of employment before you hire someone and get their hopes up of beginning a new career

Carey International Response

Aug 31, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear that you liked the environment and the benefits we have to offer. However, it is disheartening to hear that you feel that ... More