Cargill Production Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Cargill President & CEO David W. MacLennan
David W. MacLennan

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is a sin, there is none, you just deal with it (in 58 reviews)

• Different business units has worst management that doesn't reflect Cargill (in 45 reviews)

"It's trial by fire - sometimes literally."

Former Employee - Production Manager in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Newark, CA

I worked at Cargill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a lot of experience very quickly. This was my first job out of school and within three years I was running over half the refinery at my location. The operators are very blue collar but they are some of the most loyal workers you will ever find, if you may it through the wringer they put you through when you start. The company is privately held so there is less focus on the immediate numbers.

Cons

The management is incredibly old school and the company runs their factories into the ground. The working atmosphere is very political and sometimes I felt like I was the only person who actually cared about making product (aside from my operators). You could never get away with that in a public company. Management typically avoids conflict so rather than lay people off they use passive aggressive tactics to try to get people to leave but it ends up just causing the good people to leave and then Cargill just moves the old trash around.

Advice to Management

Value your employees that are doing well and don't be afraid to release those who are not.

2. "Could be a great company"

Former Employee - Production Manager
    Former Employee - Production Manager

Pros

Pay and people are great. Even being a union plant most of the people want to do the right thing.

Cons

Management has no idea on how to operate a plant efficiently. They brought all new management and they ran it in the ground. While I was there we had two record years...those days are long gone. Always wanting people to move.

Advice to Management

Hire people with proven track records. Not people who know they are not qualified.