Cargill Reviews in Wichita, KS | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cargill President & CEO David W. MacLennan
David W. MacLennan

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is a sin, there is none, you just deal with it (in 58 reviews)

• Different business units has worst management that doesn't reflect Cargill (in 45 reviews)

1. "Cargill Wichita KS"

Current Employee - Associate Buyer in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Associate Buyer in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cargill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Cargill cares about all the employees and is very flexible and relaxed.

Cons

Pay is not as high as in other industries.

2. "Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cargill full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment, great people, great community involvement.

Cons

Not paid as well as I should be for work experience and years employed.

"Employment at Cargill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cargill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment. Good ethics. Willingness to by supervisors to train and explain. Competitive/generous wages.

Cons

Job losses due to outsourcing. The restructuring to a global model may prove to be detrimental to the Wichita market.

5. "Great opportunity"

Former Intern - Intern in Wichita, KS
    Former Intern - Intern in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cargill as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company that has a lot of interesting business units

Cons

Bad at job forcasting. Told me there is a 90% hiring rate for interns at the beginning of my internship. Three months later they told me there was only a 50% hiring rate. Not sure how in three months it changed but it did

Advice to Management

Have better job forecasting so that interns have a more accurate idea of how likely a job will be when they are done.

6. "Very good"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cargill full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Security and good people, private, big company opportunity to work in many different areas

Cons

Old fashion, bad locations, very commodity driven, most of the people that lead the company are males. IT is very outdated. Salaries are low.

Advice to Management

Become better on talent development

"Cargill - great company to work for"

Current Employee - IT Supervisor in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - IT Supervisor in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cargill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very ethical and transparent / honest company.
    Huge emphasis on community outreach.
    People viewed as individuals, not just numbers.
    Great work / life balance.
    Good salaries.
    Many opportunities if you're willing to put in some hard work.
    Diversity and Inclusion efforts and groups.

Cons

Salaries not on the high end for certain jobs.
    Can have long hours with large projects.
    Some middle management have old style mindsets.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing employees as individuals and recognizing that family life / work life balance is extremely important for high performing employees.

"Great company, great people, stressful work with little work/life balance."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cargill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful offices. Everything you need supplied. Co-workers are great and so are benefits. (See cons about insurance and parking). When I first worked there I was floored. They even supplied products in the break rooms (paper plates, bowls, cups, plasticware). For the ladies they even provide sanitary items free in the restrooms. Cubicles/Desks are roomy with plenty of room to spread out work or collaborate on work projects. Great deals on meat, but you have to buy in bulk so can split with family or co-workers. They have a great health incentive program that rewards you well for taking care of your health, becoming active, having healthy numbers.

Cons

Insurance costs are high and you still have to pay quite a bit out of pocket about $120+ per month for insurance with a high deductible. Pay to park is costly $20-40 per month. Each job is specific and as such there's no standardized training. You have to be trained one on one. Which can be problematic if your trainer isn't a good one. Enjoyed job until they whittled down the number of people to do it. You have many people feeding you work, without all the information needed to complete it. No work life balance really. If you like lots of overtime, this may be the place for you. You can be let go with no notice, even if you've met all requirements of the job, with no reason given. Don't think because you're the only one who knows the job you have any security. My job was the only place to promote unless the supervisor left. Someone who had an exceptional rapport with the supervisor wanted to advance. Suddenly I'm out of a job. Just because the company is ethical, doesn't mean you will get a fair shake if your management decides they'd rather have their buddy in your position. I'm not a sour grapes type of person. I'm just telling it like it is. You have to work in one position for a year or more before you can transfer. When that year is up, promotion focused people will be after your position if it's higher than yours. Went through that with two co-workers. Thankfully one moved to another department. Bad thing is they'll be gone in a year, where I was planning to work at it for a few before attempting to move up out of loyalty to my supervisor and a desire to add some stability to the department. Guess I should have transferred elsewhere. Note to folks who get on there. Use your personal holiday floater before vacation, because when you leave, you do not get paid for it.

Advice to Management

Reward loyalty, don't oust a good and skilled employee to provide a favorite with a promotion. Be a little more transparent with information about benefits and usage. Especially as folks are kept so busy they don't have a chance to go to any of the planned events about benefits, health fairs, farmer's markets, meet and greets, etc. The big luncheons are BORING. I know they're supposed to be better, but make it more of an occasion to get to know folks from other departments and what they do, and then give us information about performance. C-Talks are likewise. Most folks who have worked there sometime that I spoke with wouldn't be dragged to either.

"Good place to work, but pay could be better."

Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Transportation Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cargill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great laid back atmosphere. Easy work. Good hours.

Cons

Low pay. They hire stupid people for low pay.

Advice to Management

Pay a little more to keep top talent.

10. "Great company to work for with excellent benefits."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cargill full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of career advancement opportunities due to continued growth.

Cons

Due to growth and changes, outsourcing jobs is taking precedence and many jobs could be lost over the next several years. Job security is not absolute.

Advice to Management

Engage team members to focus time on learning agility outside their normal functions to develop the team member's experience and talents so they may fit in other parts of the company when/if their roles are eliminated.

11. "A good place to work. Has your normal management issues but overall takes good care of employees"

Current Employee - Analyst in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Analyst in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cargill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and commitment to improving their employees

Cons

Management can change roles quite often.

Advice to Management

keep focused on the key goals

Showing 13 of 1,295 reviews