Caribou Coffee Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

3.3
Caribou Coffee President and CEO Mike Tattersfield
Mike Tattersfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • TIPS, FREE SHIFT DRINK, 30% DISCOUNT (in 60 reviews)

• The coffee is good and you get a free half pound of beans a week, as well as a free shift drink for every shift you work (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers can be very pressured by upper management and a bad manager may pass that down to employees (in 36 reviews)

• Not always great communication between management and team members or shift supervisors (in 35 reviews)

1. "Team Member"

Current Employee - Team Member in Shakopee, MN
    Current Employee - Team Member in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive and fun environment. Free half pound coffee per week and free shift drink. Also able to try all drinks and products sold. Great management. Autonomy.

Cons

Pay rate is too low. Sometimes not staffed well enough, especially during promotions such as BOGO.

Advice to Management

Hire younger people who have a drive to actually work. Many high school age kids get hired and have no work ethic or even energy/enthusiasm for work.

2. "Entry-Level to Highly Experienced"

Former Employee - Store Team Member, Barista in Elk River, MN
    Former Employee - Store Team Member, Barista in Elk River, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team was agreeable, good workplace chemistry, good balance of fast paced work and down time

Cons

Inconsistent scheduling, angry customers, high-stress environment at times can be tough for new and experienced employees to work in simultaneously

Advice to Management

Work new employees into the schedule at times that are slow enough for thorough training, LEAD don't direct, give orders but let employees work on their own without interfering

3. "Shift supervisor"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Champlin, MN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Champlin, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee (More than a year)

Pros

-Discounts on coffee
    - Room to grow your customer service skills
    - Good place to learn leadership skills
    - Being a shift leader is nice

Cons

Every manager I have had is rude. Makes you feel bad for needing to cut back on hours. The whole company is understaffed, maybe because everybody takes their anger out on each other.

Advice to Management

Upper management is very room to lower management. Lower management takes it out on the team. Not a good environment

4. "Great Part Time Job"

Former Employee - Store Team Member in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Store Team Member in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved staying caffeinated (not a morning person), Co workers were awesome!

Cons

Too many early mornings and people calling in sick. Made it hard to study.

5. "I went back and it was even better!"

Current Employee - Team Member in Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Team Member in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-weekday closing is very laid back
    -(most of) my coworkers make the job super enjoyable
    -team atmosphere- everyone is there to support each other
    -free drinks, discount on drinks and food, free beans or tea every week
    -the REGULAR CUSTOMERS! seeing a regular walk through the door always makes my day.
    -it does not take very long to close at my store since we are not busy during most weeknights
    -perfect summer job for teenagers
    -updated website for training
    -you don't have to force people to join the Caribou rewards program!
    -you get cool Caribou merch sometimes when you complete training!

Cons

-high turn over between stores
    -rude customers
    -it's a lot to learn and can feel very overwhelming at first
    -you can go a long time without breaks when it's busy

Advice to Management

Work out a break schedule for busier stores, and keep encouraging new employees!

"Joined because of culture, left because of culture."

Former Employee - General Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great deal of passion in the quality of the coffee that they deliver. Sure, it may not be the greatest stuff on the market but in comparison to other major coffee house chains, these guys are hands down at the top.

Cons

I joined the team 3 years ago because I fell in love with the culture of the business. "To deliver an extraordinary experience that feeds the soul" resonated with who I am and how I do what I do. In the 3 years i spent with the company, this philosophy has come and gone. The core values of the company are now just words rattled off rather something that can be felt and recognized without being said.

The new direction of the company is with these Coffee & Bagels stores that combine the menus of Caribou with Einstein Bros. Bagels. This idea would have been phenomenal in 1997. The menu is massive and messy. Their are sandwiches with unique names and nothing to describe what they are. The guest has to ask what's on each sandwich to know what the heck they are considering to buy. The uniforms are hideous. It's hard enough to hire competent, hard working people at almost minimum wage these days. Throw a huge list of things to memorize at them and put them in an ugly outfit everyday and see how long they stick around, or even apply for that matter. Also, who was a part of deciding that was a good name for these new stores? I have yet to find a single person outside of the company that has any idea what I am talking about when I refer to a Coffee & Bagels.

Advice to Management

Refine. Refine. Refine. The idea of delivering an experience is gone. The goal now is to peddle stuff. Stop increasing options. Stop pushing deals. Stop trying to mirror your competitors. Caribou's success came from that homey, down to earth feeling. Being able to walk into a store that feels like someone's living room. That comes from delivering an experience instead of selling stuff. If you only get to have a 5 sentence interaction with someone and you're trying to deliver an experience, you don't have the time or breath to make a genuine connection if you have to explain what perks are, why getting a large drink is the best, or what the heck is in the 45 things on the menu.
    If people are looking for a place to buy stuff, they are going to go to a gas station and buy their coffee for 99¢.

Also, take care of your people and listen to them. I know you're trying, but come on. There is a mass exodus of great people in the company going on right now. Take it as a wake up call to hear them out now while they are still with you.

7. "Good job to have overall"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free drink each shift, half pound of coffee each week or tea, fun co workers, great if you're a student since you can come back and work holidays

Cons

Low pay, was only given a raise when the minimum wage hike happened.
    Drama between supervisors & managers at times when things aren't running smoothly.
    Job can get old after a while if been employed for a long time.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, just make sure you are listening to your supervisors since manager responsibility is shared often.

"Benefits and Terms of Employment Misrepresented."

Current Employee - Team Member in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Team Member in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips, if you like fighting for them, Free shift drink is nice, free beans is okay, but you will already be sick of coffee.

Cons

Benefits poorly communicated, Told I was being hired for full time, handbook says full time work before 6 mos still earns time off but you can't use it until you have been there six months. I finally got to six months and they didn't give me any PTO. I just started earning it now. I feel so cheated.

Advice to Management

Actually know what is in your goddamn handbook. I mean, you should at least know what the actual terms of your business are. Management is no help with any questions I have ever asked. This has been incredibly disappointing and I have lost all faith in your company. I chose between this and Walgreens and I think I made the wrong choice.

9. "front house"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee if you like coffee

Cons

No breaks, overworked and lack of staff members

Advice to Management

Hire more staff before a lawsuit is filed for not giving breaks

10. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great team members and passionate management
    - Opportunities for growth
    - Flexible schedules

Cons

- Staffing can drive happiness at particular stores