Caribou Coffee Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Caribou Coffee President and CEO Mike Tattersfield
Mike Tattersfield

Pros
  • 30% off discount and free shift drink, coffee/tea (in 56 reviews)

• Free half pound of coffee every week, co-workers are fun (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Some upper management are difficult to work with (in 34 reviews)

• Not the best management, understaffed during peak hours, team members sometimes feel overlooked by management (in 34 reviews)

1. "Caribou Coffee"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Red Wing, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Red Wing, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Never had a day when i didn't want to come to work. Customers are very nice, and make your day.

Cons

Lack of training. There is no communication from management. Never get your full 40 hours per week, have to add you PTO to make your full hours. No lunch or break room

Advice to Management

Caribou needs to be more aggressive with their pay. Minimum wage keeps going up, but pay does not.

2. "Needs some work"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time

Pros

free shift drink,
    Coffee, cool coworkers

Cons

Rude customers
    schedules not put out in a timely fashion
    rude management
    poor pay for tasks asked of us

Advice to Management

Stop pushing beans on customers, train management better

3. "Company doesn't care about employees"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free shift drink, beans, and employee discount. Some stores give you eight paid volunteer hours.

Cons

The pay is terrible. Caribou doesn't let customers tip with their credit cards because they don't want the customer to feel "awkward" even though you're supposed to give two up sells to each customer.

Promotional beans are stupid. You'll often ask your customers to donate the coffee to a charity, but what many don't realize is that Caribou addsa 200-400% markup on those beans. You're really just donating to the Caribou profits. Often donations get mixed up or not delivered right away to.

The pay isn't worth the hard work. You're expected to go above and beyond expectations to customers, but Caribou doesn't do the same for their employees.

Advice to Management

Maybe you'd actually save money if you would pay your employees more, or figure out a way to increase tips so that turnover isn't so bad. Many stores go through 100% turnover because Caribou doesn't give any incentive for them to stay. When that happens, training hours are used, employees are inexperienced, and customer connection tanks.

5. "Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee during the shift. Flexible hours. Get trained and work at any Caribou that need extra hands. Walk home with tips everyday.

Cons

Minimum wage. Horrible management. Manager wanted me to quit so she scheduled me for 4 hours per week. Coworkers were hard to work with - harassing and irritable. Nobody went by the book.

Advice to Management

I don't know what the management was doing. The district manager clearly was doing his job that well. After I left there I boycotted Caribou for 5 years. They need to do something about making sure their employees are treated fairly and the customer get what they paid for. Not 12 hour old coffee.

6. "Work Hard, No Reward"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the product and so many of the people are fantastic. Most Managers can maintain an alright work/life balance

Cons

Not a lot of communication from upper management, questions are discouraged, bean promotions every 3 weeks with no rewards for the teams.

7. "Absolutely awful treatment"

Former Employee - Team Member in Hibbing, MN
    Former Employee - Team Member in Hibbing, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free shift drink. 30% off. It's fun to expiriment on bar during slow times.

Cons

No breaks (illegal) . No lunch breaks. No 15 minute breaks. Awful management. Rude behavior from higher ups. Sometimes they don't pay you.

Advice to Management

Actually give employees breaks. Order the correct amounts of syrups etc so we don't run out and have angry customers. Pay employees on time without being prompted.

8. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

1st class coffee, comfortable clean environment, growing company.

Cons

Absolutely the wrong people moved into senior leadership. Company culture has been turned into just words rather than reality. NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY - if you have kids and expect any type of accommodation... Think again.

Advice to Management

Take the company culture and employee engagement systems in place down, show the true colors of the company. So those not currently employed don't waste their time. CARIBOU IS STRICTLY A RESULTS COMPANY - NOT - A PEOPLE COMPANY. #NEEDBEANS???

9. "Terrible all talk no walk"

Current Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Blaine, MN
    Current Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Blaine, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to bond with customers, if possible grabbing a shift drink, pay was ok, flexible to an extent, employee discount.

Cons

Poor management, complete disorganization in store and with scheduling, no true training program for team member or shifts in training. Never would be able to clock out on time. Management should not be socializing with team members other than business related issues. (i.e. Talking negatively about other employees around team members, regardless of their status with caribou.) to many promotions to sell beans, customers especially regulars would get irritated. Not real breaks except to use the bathroom or if your lucky sit down for five mins.

Advice to Management

I would revise and regroup, do not start any new employee at high income store, have them train in smaller stores. That way they can receive the proper training on all aspects of caribou. They could have kept what could have been a valuable employee.

10. "Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Shift Drink
    Free Weekly Coffee Beans or Tea
    Decent Pay Wage

Cons

Worst job I have had in retail (and I have worked in retail for 10 years). I love working with and around coffee, have been a manager for over 5 years, yet Caribou was the absolute worst. Hours are terrible, mostly working 10-12 hour days without breaks, even longer if someone doesn't show up/come in for their shift. Employees under me were always unhappy, partially because of how much our store got screwed over. District manager was a joke, didn't take me as a manager seriously, didn't seem to care about my development or effort towards my job. Didn't work with me to help me solve problems. I gave it my best while I could, but overall, my coworkers and district manager did not give me the time of day. Lack of respect all around. I viewed Caribou Coffee as a company that had good values and ethics, they just need to follow through with them.

Advice to Management

Advice to district manager, be more than just a phone call or email. Take personal development seriously.

11. "Talks a great game, produces a toxic environment."

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Fun coworkers, great regulars (customers).

Cons

Bean sales are all that matter. Literally the only thing that matters to upper managment are bean sales. It's cult like. They send dozens of emails a day asking for alomst hourly updates.
     No breaks. I honestly don't know how they legally get away with it. Expect a class action lawsuit in the next couple years. You will be expected to work 8 hours without even a 5 minute break.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect.