Caribou Coffee Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Caribou Coffee President and CEO Mike Tattersfield
Mike Tattersfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • TIPS, FREE SHIFT DRINK, 30% DISCOUNT (in 61 reviews)

• You get a free half pound of coffee a week as well as a free drink every time you work (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers can be very pressured by upper management and a bad manager may pass that down to employees (in 36 reviews)

• Not always great communication between management and team members or shift supervisors (in 35 reviews)

1. "Barista"

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Denver, CO

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time

Pros

FREE COFFEE, choice of hours, when to work. It was nice to either wake up super early so that you would be off at like noon. Or work in the afternoon and close at a reasonable hour. Great job for students.

Cons

Ugh, my boss was like the popular cheerleader in high school that really everyone disliked, but worshiped her anyways. Like in almost every high school movie, she is the Regina George of Caribou Coffee.

Advice to Management

Please don't hire a man who is more of a woman than Kim K.

2. "Caribou treats their workers poorly"

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee. Fellow entry-level workers are friendly and form a great community.

Cons

Pay for entry-level baristas/"associates" is terrible. They claim to make it up in tips, but rarely do you walk out with more than a few dollars. Though I was hired "full time," management did everything possible to keep me from getting the 40 hours that would require them to offer me benefits and PTO. We were encouraged to come to work when sick so no other worker would have to cover our shift (and thus risk needing to be paid overtime).

Advice to Management

Pay your workers fairly. Treat them as human beings, give them benefits, encourage them to take sick leave when they're actually sick.

3. "Shift supervisor"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Champlin, MN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Champlin, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee (More than a year)

Pros

-Discounts on coffee
    - Room to grow your customer service skills
    - Good place to learn leadership skills
    - Being a shift leader is nice

Cons

Every manager I have had is rude. Makes you feel bad for needing to cut back on hours. The whole company is understaffed, maybe because everybody takes their anger out on each other.

Advice to Management

Upper management is very room to lower management. Lower management takes it out on the team. Not a good environment

4. "Hopefully things have changed"

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time

Pros

It's pretty easy to get a job

Cons

-did not get 15 min breaks
    -were scheduled just under 8 hrs so we would not get lunch break

Advice to Management

Treat your baristas better. Of course anyone who works the floor is always lowest in corporate hierarchy, but still. Breaks, please.

5. "This company is a mess"

Pros

The coffee culture is awesome

Cons

Too much going on in this company, they don't know what they are doing.

"Joined because of culture, left because of culture."

Former Employee - General Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great deal of passion in the quality of the coffee that they deliver. Sure, it may not be the greatest stuff on the market but in comparison to other major coffee house chains, these guys are hands down at the top.

Cons

I joined the team 3 years ago because I fell in love with the culture of the business. "To deliver an extraordinary experience that feeds the soul" resonated with who I am and how I do what I do. In the 3 years i spent with the company, this philosophy has come and gone. The core values of the company are now just words rattled off rather something that can be felt and recognized without being said.

The new direction of the company is with these Coffee & Bagels stores that combine the menus of Caribou with Einstein Bros. Bagels. This idea would have been phenomenal in 1997. The menu is massive and messy. Their are sandwiches with unique names and nothing to describe what they are. The guest has to ask what's on each sandwich to know what the heck they are considering to buy. The uniforms are hideous. It's hard enough to hire competent, hard working people at almost minimum wage these days. Throw a huge list of things to memorize at them and put them in an ugly outfit everyday and see how long they stick around, or even apply for that matter. Also, who was a part of deciding that was a good name for these new stores? I have yet to find a single person outside of the company that has any idea what I am talking about when I refer to a Coffee & Bagels.

Advice to Management

Refine. Refine. Refine. The idea of delivering an experience is gone. The goal now is to peddle stuff. Stop increasing options. Stop pushing deals. Stop trying to mirror your competitors. Caribou's success came from that homey, down to earth feeling. Being able to walk into a store that feels like someone's living room. That comes from delivering an experience instead of selling stuff. If you only get to have a 5 sentence interaction with someone and you're trying to deliver an experience, you don't have the time or breath to make a genuine connection if you have to explain what perks are, why getting a large drink is the best, or what the heck is in the 45 things on the menu.
    If people are looking for a place to buy stuff, they are going to go to a gas station and buy their coffee for 99¢.

Also, take care of your people and listen to them. I know you're trying, but come on. There is a mass exodus of great people in the company going on right now. Take it as a wake up call to hear them out now while they are still with you.

"Benefits and Terms of Employment Misrepresented."

Current Employee - Team Member in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Team Member in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips, if you like fighting for them, Free shift drink is nice, free beans is okay, but you will already be sick of coffee.

Cons

Benefits poorly communicated, Told I was being hired for full time, handbook says full time work before 6 mos still earns time off but you can't use it until you have been there six months. I finally got to six months and they didn't give me any PTO. I just started earning it now. I feel so cheated.

Advice to Management

Actually know what is in your goddamn handbook. I mean, you should at least know what the actual terms of your business are. Management is no help with any questions I have ever asked. This has been incredibly disappointing and I have lost all faith in your company. I chose between this and Walgreens and I think I made the wrong choice.

8. "Gone down hill."

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time

Pros

Social and fun. Loved the team,

Cons

Zero work life balance.
    Very stressful (Not worth the pay)

9. "Caribou Coffee"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free shift beverages and a half pound of coffee each week.

Cons

Do not care about retention of employees.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employees.

10. "Probably fine for a high schooler who doesn't need $"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally good teams, fun making drinks, sometimes have customers that are very nice, nice discount

Cons

Pay was terrible. After four years as a supervisor, made less than $0.50 total in raises. Worked my butt off. No breaks unless you work a full eight hours (and even then you don't get breaks when you're not "scheduled" for 8 hours). People were rarely trained in properly, putting pressure on other employees. Understaffed 100% of the time.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and your turnover rate would be lower.