Caribou Coffee Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Caribou Coffee President and CEO Mike Tattersfield
Mike Tattersfield

Pros
  • 30% off discount and free shift drink, coffee/tea (in 56 reviews)

• Free half pound of coffee every week, co-workers are fun (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Some upper management are difficult to work with (in 34 reviews)

• Not the best management, understaffed during peak hours, team members sometimes feel overlooked by management (in 34 reviews)

1. "Raindrops Keep Falling On My head"

Former Employee - Barista in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Barista in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free shift drink, interesting location, free coffee beans and great discount. Meet new people every day, great at getting one ready for a fast paced environment.

Cons

No breaks unless you work 8hrs, not even 15's. Exceedingly low pay at 7.50. No respect for employees, unsupportive managers. Will treat you horribly if you make one simple mistake. Expect to be more of a maid.

Advice to Management

Pay people accurately, treat employees like humans and give more breaks.

2. "Difficult time at Caribou"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Edina, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to lead important projects while in other corporations would require a larger team

Cons

Lack of resources, unfair compensation to lower levels in the organization

Advice to Management

Fair compensation

"Only for Coffee Lovers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albertville, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albertville, MN

Pros

Caribou offers great perks to coffee lovers like a free drink when you work and free coffee beans. Forming relationships with regular customers is rewarding.

Cons

The company doesn't seem to appreciate its employees, particularly in busy stores. There is no enforcement of breaks, sometimes you aren't even able to go to the bathroom because staffing is so short.

Advice to Management

Give more basic respect to your employees and make sure you allow management to have enough staff to work on busy days. Workers aren't even given basic rights sometimes like breaks. Corporate is doing a great job pushing customers to stores but as the company grows, it's staffing doesn't and strains current employees further and further.

"Barista"

Current Employee - Barista in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Barista in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee (Less than a year)

Pros

There's really none other than free coffee

Cons

No breaks, horrible bosses, horrible schedules

6. "Shift supervisor"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Lots of locations, advancement is easy if you want it, however the benefits of advancement don't get much better than a TM or SS position and you do Lot more work. Also, it's not fair that you atop getting tips as an ASM, you do all the same stuff plus a bunch more..

Cons

See above. Disorganized, hard to communicate with store as a whole. Crappy pat.

Advice to Management

Get zbetter accountability system and

"Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Irondale, AL
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Irondale, AL

I worked at Caribou Coffee (More than a year)

Pros

Tips were decent in the morning and getting out of work early in the day was nice.

Cons

Management does not care for employees, store managers spend too much time in the back office area on the computer, employees are not listened to when concerns are voiced.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees instead of blowing their concerns off as irrelevant. When your average manager turnover rate is 11 months, that should tell yo

"Company has potential but needs better in store leadership"

Former Employee - Lead Barista in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Lead Barista in Boulder, CO

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products, good idea of what culture SHOULD be, 2 week training about Caribou products and culture was amazing (not everybody got to do this), good in theory, a few good people. a great idea to bring in Caribou Coffee to a local bakery - Woody Creek Bakery. Luckily, I was treated decently because I worked hard and took initiative and cared, I also met some great friends.

Cons

There is so much potential but the leadership failed many times, the treatment of employees was absolutely terrible - favoritism at its finest, a lot of yelling and antagonizing employees, INCONSISTENCY with training new employees (no more 2 week actual training), HUGE problem with in store management (dishonesty included).

Advice to Management

in store managers, if you're still there and still doing these things: please stop stealing from the company - word gets around, please stop treating your employees like crap - it's not effective WHICH IS WHY THE TURNOVER RATE IS HIGH, provide proper and consistent training to employees, schedule enough people so there aren't two people just suffering during rush hours. And treat your employees better because half of the time pepole weren't showing up for their shifts or just walking out because they hated it there. I luckily was a responsible, hard working person along with a few other people who lasted a couple years.

9. "Low pay, no tips for months."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coon Rapids, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coon Rapids, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast Paced
    Fun
    Great people
    They let you customize your name tags and pick the trivia sometimes, which is kind of cool.

Cons

Not getting tips until a two month coffee quiz is passed? Ludicrous.

10. "Won't go back"

Former Employee - Team Member in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Team Member in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee (More than a year)

Pros

Can be a fun environment with good coworkers and some customers are the best

Cons

Incredibly stressful, consistently raising prices/planning promotions without giving staff proper (or any) notice which leads to a horrible day

Advice to Management

Try and work on management longevity. I had 3 general managers in 3 years while I was there.

11. "Chronic understaffing, unrealistic sales expectations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

People - I love many of the customers I meet. Free shift drink, employee discount.

Cons

1.) Many stores are understaffed. I started about 1 month ago and I've already been asked to cover no-shows at my store, and help at 2 other stores.
    2.) Unrealistic sales expectations. Caribou gives a lot of $2.50 Med or $3.00 Large drinks coupons, it's very busy when people redeem them, and then management says "we weren't that busy, our sales are low"; of course they are, we're selling a $5+ drink for $2.50. We have to try to up-sell with every customer which is annoying for both myself and the customer.

Advice to Management

Want to retain employees? It'll never happen, but 1.) pay more, and 2.) don't understaff.