Cover image for Caribou Coffee

3.6
Caribou Coffee President and CEO  John Butcher
John Butcher

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Free coffee, good start, flexible(in 81 reviews)
  • "Discounts and can meet some pretty great people(in 81 reviews)
  • "Flexible with school schedule and great coworkers(in 73 reviews)
  • "The hours are flexible and because of that I can volunteer and do other things.(in 67 reviews)
  • "The benefits of a free drink per shift are nice and overall the customers compared to other stores are for the most part well mannered.(in 59 reviews)
Cons
  • "low pay and they don't give you many hours(in 114 reviews)
  • "poor management and few hours(in 81 reviews)
  • "If you end up with a bad manager it can make your experience a living hell(in 65 reviews)
  • "Managers can be very pressured by upper management and a bad manager may pass that down to employees(in 32 reviews)
  • "Saw a number of excellent store managers, shift supervisors, and team members fired arbitrarily, and in an unethical manner (fired for silly, insignificant missteps as a cover(in 30 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Caribou Coffee and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Pto

Nov 23, 2022 - Assistant General Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Caribou has really nice benefits I was able to use my PTO for a complete week using 40 hours of PTO when I was on Covid leave. Overall I really love the company they pay really well and I don’t feel like I’m just a NUMBER! I actually feel human and appreciated but my superiors.

Cons

there is a lot of gossip at not only the store I work at but a lot of the other caribou stores’s it seems that all the employees do is gossip and talk trash about one another instead of handling their issues like adults and bringing their issue to the person they seem to have it with. Caribou hires all people and everyone is looked at equally ! However it seems like they tend to hire alot of The LGBTQ community so if your apart of that community then you can definitely get into caribou without a doubt.I personally don’t have an issue with The LGBTQ community I do feel like they do wear their emotions on their sleeves and that causes alot of friction not just at my store but alot of other places I’ve been too.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Stressful workplace

Nov 25, 2022 - Barista in Onalaska, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was very happy in the beginning: Decent pay for the role ($15 per hour plus split tips), free shift drink, and somewhat flexible scheduling make it a great starter position. Seeing daily regulars and working with some of the team members as well as the assistant manager also made my shifts go by quickly.

Cons

Cons: STRESSFUL. Constantly being understaffed, being pushed to stay past your shift times due to no call no shows, and workplace drama pushed a lot of the good people to jump ship. Management also made it difficult to want to stay an employee- there was a huge level of disconnect between the staff and general manager. All blame for poor performance of the store seemed to be placed on the staff's "lack of work ethic" rather than on poor training and lack of support for team members. I actually had my general manager tell me about a personal issue another team member had brought up to her in confidence and then explain that she "didn't care about their feelings" and that she "had a business to run". Another con is their benefit package- in order to begin collecting PTO, I had to work 6 months. Not ideal for parents, as any shift missed due to illness/family emergencies/etc. meant losing out on a day's work. I ended up leaving Caribou after spending months as an anxious mess, and wouldn't recommend the job to anyone until Caribou begins to hold their management at a higher standard.

3. Join the Caribou Coffee team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0

DO NOT WORK HERE

Oct 15, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Absolutely nothing. Please, go find a different place to work. ANYTHING is a better option than this.

Cons

I don’t think I know better, I just know that this is not the place you want to work if you care about your job at all. There is ZERO opportunity to move up at all in this position, as they would rather hire cheaper employees, no matter how great of an employee you may be for them. I worked an entire year and begged for a raise on more than one occasion, and each time I was told I was lucky to make what I make. What a waste of my time. It’s all about saving money for them, and having zero appreciation for employees. We raised our prices three times throughout the year, and I still couldn’t get them to raise my pay ever! You also won’t get the shifts you desire if you are a manager there. I thought I would be working mornings like I requested, but since my boss wants those shifts, they get them. This is also an issue because the tips you make are obviously better for the people that work the mornings. Working for Caribou coffee has been one of the worst experiences with a company I’ve ever had.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good enough

Nov 17, 2022 - Shift Leader
    Business Outlook

Pros

-flexible hours -good customer and coworker interactions -free shift drink -free weekly coffee beans

Cons

If they are short staffed they will overwork who's left into the ground.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Flexible and fun

Sep 18, 2022 - Shift Lead in Elk River, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

This job has flexible hours and is overall just a very pleasant place to work. I love the atmosphere and getting to meet and talk to new people every day.

Cons

The pay is not super great, though tips do help. Corporate can also be a bit frustrating sometimes.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 3.0

Very Fast Paced, but Enjoyable

Nov 27, 2022 - Sales Floor Team Member
    Business Outlook

Pros

Tips are nice, and you get a shift drink, free drip coffee, and half pound of beans

Cons

Performance pressure, extremely busy times, single drawer accountability can be intimidating

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome

Nov 9, 2022 - Team Member
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good people. Awesome atmosphere. Great people.

Cons

It does get a little bit hectic sometimes. But otherwise it’s cool.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Decent

Nov 5, 2022 - Shift Leader in Fargo, ND
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible if you find a good crew stick with it.

Cons

Some GM’s aren’t the best but it’s an easy job if you can be on your feet.

10. 3.0

Barista

Nov 22, 2022 - Shift Lead
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved expanding my knowledge on coffee and getting to know all of the regulars!

Cons

Getting time off was very difficult and towards the end, management was very hands-off on my store's location.

11. 5.0

Its fun

Nov 6, 2022 - Shift Lead
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule . Fun Interacting with characters .

Cons

Not too much of a coffee drinker.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,353 Reviews
</>Embed

Caribou Coffee Reviews FAQs

Caribou Coffee has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 1,373 reviews left anonymously by employees. 63% of employees would recommend working at Caribou Coffee to a friend and 49% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Caribou Coffee employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Caribou Coffee. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

63% of Caribou Coffee employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Caribou Coffee 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Caribou Coffee to be workplace, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be career development, compensation, management.

Popular Careers with Caribou Coffee Job Seekers