Carillon Assisted Living Reviews | Glassdoor

Karen E. Moriarty

1. "Dietary Aide"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, NC

I worked at Carillon Assisted Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the job! Wonderful Residents and staff

Cons

The pay was Just not enough

Advice to Management

You can't support your family on $8.50 an hour

"Marketing Director"

Former Employee - Marketing Director

I worked at Carillon Assisted Living full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The PCAs really did care about our residents and did everything they could to provide the best possible care. Staff went above and beyond the call of duty.

Cons

Regional staff are terrible and Karen is one of the worst CEOs I have ever worked for. They are more concerned about profits than the mission that they make every employee memorize and regurgitate. She lacks the courage to do what was right for the people that call her communities home. She hides behind the guise that the people she hires didn't have the chops to succeed but yet they thrive in other communities. The short comings of her and the regional staff she entrusts to carry out her awful agenda could not be more obvious. I would never recommend any of the communities to a loved one.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and empower them. It's not the people that are the problem but rather the culture you have created.

3. "Great company with great values"

Current Employee - Dining Services Director in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Dining Services Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Carillon Assisted Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The residents are wonderful and team are wonderful

Cons

pay is not the best

Advice to Management

Keep to the core values and try to pay employees more, i understand that it is hard to pay better at a small company but keep up the good work and you wont be small for long!

5. "Committed to Care"

Former Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Carillon Assisted Living full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The leadership holds the company’s values, is genuine, and committed to residents, family and employee team members. They foster a spirit of inclusion, supportiveness and communication. Employees hired are held to high standards, with dedication and commitment being rewarded. Employees at Carillon are selected not only because of their training and experience, but also because they have a calling for caring and want to make a difference in the lives of seniors. The company expects employees to act on and live the company’s values daily. They have a holistic approach to senior care and dementia care, with team members committed to providing care and attention on a unique and individual level.

Cons

Carillon’s challenge is representative to the assisted living industry, with a range of options available to seniors and their family. The CCRC industry struggles with high turnover from administrators to PCAs and Carillon is no exception.

Advice to Management

Stay the course on the mission and values the organization is founded (uncompromising care and quality for seniors), continue listening to residents and family, evolve and adapt to the changing landscape of senior care as well as the changing face of US seniors.

6. "Pca"

Current Employee - Pca in Newton, NC
    Current Employee - Pca in Newton, NC

I have been working at Carillon Assisted Living (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interacting with the residents seeing them smile

Cons

To many bosses no direction

"Not the worst job, but not the best either"

I worked at Carillon Assisted Living full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Residents became like my own grandparents. Facility was very clean, lots of activities for the residents.

Cons

Pretty much any and everything that had to do with how staff was treated. The ED's hands were tied on many things. She wanted to do more for us (pay increase, more hours, health insurance, etc.) but couldn't do anything due to it being home office policy. No way to move up to a better job, neither.

Advice to Management

Make it a place people want to stay and you won't have such a big turnover problem with your staff.

"management"

Former Employee - Management in Shelby, NC
    Former Employee - Management in Shelby, NC

I worked at Carillon Assisted Living (More than 3 years)

Pros

regional staff support is good

Cons

very unprofessional corporate and regional marketing, they ask "how do we stop the bleeding?", when alzheimer's residents pass away

Advice to Management

invest in your employees and they will invest in you, give them decent benefits and wages and you will see turnover stop

9. "Poorly Run"

Former Employee - Dishwasher
    Former Employee - Dishwasher

I worked at Carillon Assisted Living part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the time the people that you work with are very kind and helpful. Also, the residents are just wonderful.

Cons

The wages are far too low. They offer benefits, but unless you are a department head you won't be offered a full-time position. They don't offer those benefits to part-timers. Those in charge display an alarming lack of leadership skills. Always understaffed because of this.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be that, if you wish for people to work there longer, and do better work: treat your employees better and pay them closer to a living wage.

10. "It may not be the easiest job - but it can be very rewarding"

Current Employee - Marketing Director
    Current Employee - Marketing Director

I have been working at Carillon Assisted Living full-time

Pros

First, the residents are just amazing. I love being able to interact with them through the entire process of getting them moved in. Residents are treated well compared to a lot of companies in this industry (I've worked at a few). So you can definitely stand behind the service you are selling.

Training has come a long way - you get a full month of training and then you also have access to their sales trainer and regional director for ongoing support and training as well.

Yes, there is a lot of "process" so to speak...and I can understand that that is not for everyone. But if you are a system oriented person, it's great. They have a great process and have built a strong, successful business - they know what it takes to be successful and will give you the tools to do so.

The uncapped bonus is great and can be very rewarding. Yes, there are ups and downs and it's not easy - but thats just sales. But if you work hard, you will definitely see it in your paycheck.

Cons

You have to be willing to put in a lot of hours to be successful. But guess what - THAT'S SALES! So it's not really a con because if working 50+ hours a week isn't going to work for you...then a sales career path is NOT for you. You got to bust your butt and like I said above, you will do well.

Limited upward mobility. It's a small company, so as a result - the room for advancement is also small. As they continue to grow, there could become more opportunity.

Advice to Management

Some more flexibility would be nice - but the system certainly works.

"The Carillon culture is anti-employee"

Former Employee - Marketing Director

Pros

Loved working with the residents and families to improve their day-to-day living situation. Loved the feeling that I am part of a healthy and loving solution to their needs. Loved seeing them happier and healthier after moving in.

Cons

This is not a company that believes or invests in its employees. Too many arbitrary rules that serve no purpose other than to second-guess and belittle the employee. I honestly don't think the owners like their employees very much. Policies are punitive, redundant, restrictive. No way of getting ahead in terms of career growth. All policies seem to only benefit the higher ups, never the rest of the staff. There's a form for that form that must be filled out before that report (I'm joking, but you get my meaning. Lots of bureaucracy!). Let sales people do what they do best -- sell. We know how, you obviously don't. Stop trying to finagle the bonus plans to the corporate office's benefit. I feel they have taken money I earned from my pocket.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. Treat them fairly. Stop putting roadblocks up for your sales people, then wondering why the turnover is so high among Marketing Directors. Turnover is high among care staff, too, so this is a widespread problem at this company.