Caritas St. Elizabeth's Medical Center Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great people!!"

Current Employee - ICU RN in Brighton, MA
    Current Employee - ICU RN in Brighton, MA

I have been working at Caritas St. Elizabeth's Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are very supportive and welcoming. You get a lot of on the job training to prepare you to handle the job requirements.

Cons

Management and office politics.

Advice to Management

Be more mindful of your good workers and support them so you retain them

2. "If you are a physician, do no work here"

Former Employee - Staff Physician in Brighton, MA
    Former Employee - Staff Physician in Brighton, MA

I worked at Caritas St. Elizabeth's Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The daily staff with whom you work; they are the glue that holds this place together and they are not appreciated for it.

Cons

I was told by many people to NOT work at Steward. I foolishly did not listen to them, instead believing that my assessment of a seemingly kind future boss made my experience different. I was 100 percent wrong. Please contemplate that for a moment: this is a horrible FOR PROFIT hospital for whom to work. The vast majority of doctors in my dept last LESS than ONE YEAR.
    There are too many to list. But here's a start.
    1. They are understaffed and worse--they don't care, making the same mistakes and overworking docs to the point where no one stays. When I say, "they don't care,"I mean, they do not care. I couldn't say this more plainly. Past the plastic smiles and promises of work life balance and how your boss has two daughters and she is always home by 4. It's outrageous the degree to which heads of departments outwardly lie in order to recruit good people.
    2. No work life balance whatsoever--except for the heads of the departments. if you are an physician--good luck. Expect to do your notes from home every evening. Expect your spouse to pick up the slack and expect your kids to have a semi-absentee parent. This is pandemic--especially in primary care departments.
    3. Even Locum Tenems people cannot place people here
    4. No resources, but they turn a fabulous profit--in the hundreds of millions, but they have no docs, insufficient nursing staff and some of the premises are filthy and hazardous. I assure you that they will not show you these parts of the hospital when you tour. Whatever they offer you for salary, slice it by FORTY percent because you will work 8 to 8 everyday, plus free weekends several times per year and some weekends just to catch up on discharge summaries, etc.
    5. Things are so bad here, the staff ask you to please not leave when they get to know you, as if they would try to entice you within their own means if they could. It's sad and morally repugnant

Advice to Management

You have no respect for your doctors. You make millions of dollars and do not invest in basic supplies for pt care. You work your doctors to exhaustion whereupon they quit. This happens enough that patients are demoralized and the first question they ask out of their mouths when they meet you is: please promise me you're not going to leave too?" Instead of helping your docs thrive, you send them over the top emails about what will happen if they don't complete a discharge plan by such and such date. In the context of working 80 hours a week, you're nothing short of disgraceful

3. "Unit Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MA

I have been working at Caritas St. Elizabeth's Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

They pay well. That really is the only reason to work here. The money is good. It's union.

Cons

The employees are all miserable. The turnover rate is horrendous. The nurses treat you poorly. The doctors holler at you for anything. The cafeteria food is disgusting and unhealthy, even though it was just re-done.

Advice to Management

Stop accepting mediocrity. This place could be better if productive ideas were put into action instead of utilizing the current models. Middle management is missing. Adding assistant managers and team leaders would allow for the company to grow. It would also weed out some of the more mediocre employees.

4. "A"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Everyone is friendly and makes you feel at home.

Cons

Too many changes within the hospital that I don't believe are beneficial towards patients.

"Hang in there, Christopher O'Connor is the breath of fresh air and vitality that is so needed at the Medical Center"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

St. Elizabeth's Medical Center for a large city hospital still has that small community hospital feel about it. A tight family feel and although keeping up with technologies that the larger hospital can afford, the personal touch and interaction with the patient is something that has become lost in many healthcare settings but still exist here.

Cons

We have been been witnessing declining volume while attempting to compete with the more hi/tech glitzy hospital in metropolitian Boston. An aging infrustuture and a lack of fancy digs makes it a challage to draw in new patients

Advice to Management

Take a chance, take a different approach. Dare to be different and not fit in to the typical healthcare model.