Carl Zeiss Vision Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Matthias Metz & Jens Boy

Pros
  • Friendly co-workers (most of them) (in 3 reviews)

• Excellent products and great relationships with our customers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Roles can become stagnant with little room for growth (in 3 reviews)

• Unmanageable work load across the board, no raises tanks hear, and insurance costs went up so paychecks went down (in 4 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Carl Zeiss Vision (More than a year)

Pros

Good group of knowledgable managers willing to communicate and help each other in times of need.Daily meetings helped keep the group focussed on driving the company in the right direction.

Cons

Stability was a main factor for me with many different branches being closed it seemed the main focus of the company was the consolidation of a large percentage of the work load to their ever growing plant in Mexico.The most annoying thing was the practice of using local temp agencies to recruit ,which seem to scrape the bottom of the barrel for people looking to get a paycheck or two.Long term employees would get frustrated when they end up training people who wash out within a month or two usually due to the tardies and sick day policy guidelines which the temps simply do not wish to or could not comply with.

Advice to Management

Seek out new employees by recruiting from the local colleges and or the fast food industry .

2. "Anonymous"

Former Employee - California in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - California in San Diego, CA

I worked at Carl Zeiss Vision full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vision insurance an their charities

Cons

To much work for employees to handle. Employees come last and no team moral

Advice to Management

Actually listen to you employees. Build them up rather then always beating them down

"Customer sales associate"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Ontario, CA

I worked at Carl Zeiss Vision (More than a year)

Pros

Great benifits and competitive wages

Cons

Training. Management poor. Communication poor

"Doesn't value employees"

Former Employee - Administrative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Carl Zeiss Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health benefits, especially with the vision insurance (Duh!). Friendly co-workers (most of them). Well-known company that looks good on résumé.

Cons

Management is oblivious to employee issues, no direction, training or opportunities to grow. Stressful environment. Struggling financially, so every year they cut down on benefits and perks.

Advice to Management

Take care and listen to your employees, treat them as assets and help them succeed so that the company succeeds.

"No Raises!!!!"

Former Employee - Accounting in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting in San Diego, CA

I worked at Carl Zeiss Vision (More than 3 years)

Pros

Aside from good employees, few pros to mention. Some great people to work with.

Cons

Memo from President/CEO informing San Diego employees that there will be no raises for 2016. So nice to be recognized and rewarded for hard work and dedication.

Advice to Management

No real advice, as there is nobody listening at the top. Upper management needs to get its house in order.

"Focused on saving instead of growing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Carl Zeiss Vision (More than 10 years)

Pros

location is perfect in one of the most beautiful cities.

Cons

All what the leaders care is saving money, instead of investing in the company to generate growth they have been weakening all departments with layoffs and 7 years of wrong decisions.

"Mismanagement at the top"

Former Employee - Office Worker in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Office Worker in San Diego, CA

I worked at Carl Zeiss Vision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location is ideal. Direct boss and colleagues are great to work with. Products look good. Some benefits are ok. Colleagues tend to help each other out of survival.

Cons

Too many cons. Germany leadership puts unattainable expectations and fires local leadership for failures. Causing new hire management to make extreme short term decisions that lead to damaging company morale. Depressing environment with high turnover with almost weekly going away parties. Employees trickle out when new and better opportunities come.

Advice to Management

Things will not change and sales will continue to decline until Germany leadership realizes the local US company collapse was due to their own lack of understanding of American culture. You can't apply German expectations and values to American market and employees.

"Just a job, not a career"

Current Employee - California in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - California in San Diego, CA

Pros

Friendly co-workers. Other than that, really not much pros for the company right now.

Cons

Company is going down. Lay off every a few months. High work load for current employee. No career advancement. Benefits keep cutting.

Advice to Management

Business Strategies is more important. Cost cutting should be focus more on source. Layoff employee does not help.

10. "Treated me well,so far......."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Good benefits,good support from my boss

Cons

No clear mission,non-optical industry in high level positions.Yes,it does make a difference.

"No raises for this year! After lay offs, and working harder than ever, employees learn today no raises."

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Carl Zeiss Vision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can't think of any pros. I guess I can maybe say it's better than unemployment, except being on unemployment would be I didn't have to work here.

Cons

Unmanageable work load across the board, no raises tanks hear, and insurance costs went up so paychecks went down. High turn over, ineffective management, low morale, no employee appreciation and terrible culture.

Advice to Management

Not sure where to start. Just when we think things can't get worse they do. Stop over working everyone and give us a raise. I overheard my manager telling another manager she bought her husband something with her bonus check in December. I don't understand why managers were given bonuses but hourly employees can't even be given a 2.5% raise? So insulting.