Carl's Jr Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew Puzder

Pros
  • Simple job duties, and flexible hours (in 13 reviews)

• Good place to learn what a fast-paced workplace is like (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Manager and Shift Leaders (Supervisors) (in 16 reviews)

• I also really really dislike handling the drive thru and the front line (in 12 reviews)

1. "carls jr"

Current Employee - Cashier in San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Marcos, CA

Pros

some of the good reasons are freindly mangers and good team members fast pace learning good customer service skills and

Cons

pay is very bad no promotions district mangers very rude too much expected for fast food place not a good job

Advice to Management

more respect, more pay,promotions more friendly and understanding help your employes out dont put them down need better mangement

2. "Dead End Job--run, don't walk away"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Merced, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Merced, CA

Pros

Decent pay after a few months. Free soda!

Cons

Phoney foods, surly management, and inadequate training. What less could you want.

Advice to Management

Stop playing the "hours game" with crew members

3. "One of the worst jobs ever."

Current Employee - Cashier in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Friendly co-workers
    -Discount on food
    -Easy to get hired

Cons

-Management is terrible. They are rude and inconsiderate.
    -There is always a lack of supplies.
    -If you're a cashier, you get the worst end of this job. You get yelled at by unsatisfied customers for the mistakes of the cooks.
    -The management doesn't care about you at all.
    -Management doesn't report injuries, then tells you to "Stop over exaggerating."
    -Harassment is unavoidable in this job, upper management will not care and yell at you ANYWHERE.

Advice to Management

You should really treat your employees with respect , if you want it in return. Guess this is what you get when you don't pursue further education.

5. "Slave drivers"

Current Employee - Slave in Norco, CA
    Current Employee - Slave in Norco, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (More than a year)

Pros

there are no pros that I can talk about. If I did I would be lying to all.

Cons

Norco, CA - no raises because the management decided to buy TVs to install in the dining area. Some workers have been working hear for month, and years and are lucky if they get a .10 cent raise.
    Long hours
    During the busy lunch hours the managers hide in the back while one person manages the drive thru and the front reception area.
    If we ask for a raise management tells us to get another job, or that we are lucky to have a job.
    The reward programs are meant to help the managers, and not the employees who do the actual job
    Managers refuse to give breaks or will give us our breaks a few minutes before we clock out for the day.
    lack of any type of culture or values.
    No respect for its employees
    No cost of living increases
    Company keeps boasting about how much money they make, but yet they don't even provide basic cost of living to their employees.
    CEO is clueless of what is happening in the work environment, or he is a greedy SOB

Advice to Management

Respect your employees who make the money for you.
    Provide honest wages, and reward hard working employees which will lead to better customer service, and will make customer want to come back.
    Respect, Respect, and communicate

6. "Fast paced and always busy, management is the worst"

Current Employee - Cook
    Current Employee - Cook

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working as a team was very good. Majority of my coworkers are willing to help. Discounts of 50% off food when on breaks and 20% off any other time.

Cons

The place is always busy and fast paced. If you are the cook, as I am, you will fall behind on orders. You constantly get yelled at my management and even some of the rude cashiers about not putting out the food fast enough. All orders had to be out in under 3 minutes, which is nearly impossible when customers order 6+ burgers.

But the worst of it all was when you had weekly upper management come in to inspect the place working efficiently. They never praise the employees, they just hassle us about the mistakes we do. Every employee hates them.

Advice to Management

Work with the crew members and not hassle them. We do our best to provide great service.

7. "Overworked, underpaid."

Current Employee - Cook in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Cook in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount thats pretty much it

Cons

Management, Customers, Scripting, Strictness, Attitude

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees

8. "wouldn't recommend to anyone unless in high school or going to school"

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time

Pros

50 percent discount and flexible hours

Cons

bad management and they arrange hours according to people they favorite

"Avoid at ALL costs, no MATTER how desperate"

Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Katy, TX

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

20%, 50% discount on meals - that is if you used it regularly enough

Cons

**Despite the discount, I DON'T EAT HERE, I bought a shake during a break and it made me sick whenever I took a sip. I even made it myself!
    **There's district/regional/general manager conflicts.
    **I'm sure no one at the restaurant likes their coworkers, and you consistently hear managers cursing the job, on the job.
    **The Carl's Jr I work at is disorganized and consistently lacks supplies.
    I'm overworked and sometimes never get a much needed break. Customers like me and come back for the service but because I'm the only cashier on deck I have to juggle cleaning the ever dirty tables, sweep THEN mop the floors, wipe down windows from the inside AND outside, clear restrooms, replace and take out all the trash to the dumpster and beverage bar which is all expected to be done in less than 15 minutes. And I tend to guests as they come in so I have to constantly restart the "circle of influence" so I can't get things done when I have things pulling me in 3 different directions. Not doable, and not conceivable--especially during lunch rush when the stress is greater.
    One manager threatened to keep me at the restaurant past my time even though the afternoon shift cashier had clocked in to assume my duties.
    **The place is filthy. I ate once at the location I work at (before I worked there) and the tabletops were sticky. As I got employed I learned why: the employees don't change out their sanitation bucket water and will continue using the same dirty water until it's opaque and grey. Remember that these buckets and towels have all the crumbs, grease, soda, and dirt cleaned up from guests' tables in them. Filthy. Disgusting.

**SCRIPTING. Every guest gives me a dirty look whenever I ask them if they want the 1/3 or 1/2 lb patty for the thick burger, or to upsize, because it tacks on $2-$4 to what would've been a more affordable meal, into a over-glorified heart attack. Whoever wrote the scripting has probably never dealt with face-to-face business in the restaurant service industry.

Advice to Management

Have a "busboy" job, because a cashier can't be both a cashier and busboy within reasonable means.

Hire better managers.

Don't play "favorites".

Have better hierarchy of management organization.

Get a better POS system that gives more power to cashiers with the guest orders--every time I ask for the manager card because a guest changed their mind about a meal, the manager shoots me a dirty look as if I did something wrong.

"Inadequate treatment of their employees."

Current Employee - Shift Leader
    Current Employee - Shift Leader

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well, my co-workers were friendly. Since we are in a college town, the students that came in are nice. There is a 50% discount on duty.

Cons

Customers are ridiculous, but that is just fast food. They are allowed to personally insult and threaten you all they want, and you cannot defend yourself at all.
    Upper management is so contradictory and hypocritical. They demand one thing, but are dissatisfied when that is done. One silly example of this: We need to stock the napkin holders. We fill them up just like the district manager shows us, he comes in again and tells us to put less napkins in. We do it again just like he shows us, and he tells us to do it like the first time. Ridiculous.
    They expect you to be superman. They expect the drive thru person to clean, cashier, do all of drive thru and keep up with cleaning. On top of this, we have to have orders out in 3.5 minutes. With how long everything takes to cook, and the number of responsibilities they give us, this is impossible. Upper management is always telling us how horrible we all are, and constantly crying that we can't do all this and the insane amount of chores we have to do every night. This could all be fixed if they had more employees on the clock, but no, the rich franchise has to save every dollar. I even have to send people home if we are slow, instead of having them do chores! Then, we get rushed and don't have the manpower every time!
    The scripting is intrusive and I can tell it ticks off the guests. It makes you sound like a drone and they push it until they are red in the face.
    They treat they employees like crap. Here is what is happening to me: We recently got bought by franchise, so during transition my paycheck got cut and nobody told me. It went from $8.75 to $8.25. Apparently, a clerical error. Well it has been a month and my general manager has notified them twice and nothing.
    Also, I got a promotion 2.5 months ago. But they won't actually promote me from shift leader trainee to shift leader, even though I'm doing all the work as one. I've been closing on my own since I got that title. I know it's because they are trying and succeeding at exploiting me for all my worth. It's unacceptable.
    They push happiness on you, but when they treat you like this, how can you be? Then they get angry at you for not being in a good mood.
    Franchise wants shift leaders helping the employees, but then they give us all this extra meaningless paperwork. How are we supposed to get out on time and do all this? we can't. Franchise makes us stay open 1.5 hours later than corporate, so now I'm exhausted every night. It's messing me up. I study 12 credit hours, and work is giving me 45 hours a week because we don't have enough shift leaders or employees. The shift leaders at my restaurant are being torn apart from all the stress and being overworked for barely any pay.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like they're sub-human if they can't live up to your ridiculous tasks. You are a fast food restaurant, stop thinking this is a five star place. It's not. Stop scripting, and guests will be happier. They don't want to buy all the food we push. You're just annoying them. Stop expecting general manager and shift leader to work magic.

11. "Very bad team work and pay"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You het to do practically anything you want

Cons

Very low pay shift leader making .25 cents more than a regular cashier no benefits and no raise

Advice to Management

Need to get better management and employees and please give a raise to shift leaders