Carl's Jr Reviews | Glassdoor

Carl's Jr Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Simple job duties, and flexible hours (in 13 reviews)

• Great co-workers and opportunity to improve customer service (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Manager and Shift Leaders (Supervisors) (in 17 reviews)

• Everyone who isn't part of drive thru or a front cashier barely speaks English (in 13 reviews)

1. "Slave drivers"

Current Employee - Slave in Norco, CA
    Current Employee - Slave in Norco, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (More than a year)

Pros

there are no pros that I can talk about. If I did I would be lying to all.

Cons

Norco, CA - no raises because the management decided to buy TVs to install in the dining area. Some workers have been working hear for month, and years and are lucky if they get a .10 cent raise.
    Long hours
    During the busy lunch hours the managers hide in the back while one person manages the drive thru and the front reception area.
    If we ask for a raise management tells us to get another job, or that we are lucky to have a job.
    The reward programs are meant to help the managers, and not the employees who do the actual job
    Managers refuse to give breaks or will give us our breaks a few minutes before we clock out for the day.
    lack of any type of culture or values.
    No respect for its employees
    No cost of living increases
    Company keeps boasting about how much money they make, but yet they don't even provide basic cost of living to their employees.
    CEO is clueless of what is happening in the work environment, or he is a greedy SOB

Advice to Management

Respect your employees who make the money for you.
    Provide honest wages, and reward hard working employees which will lead to better customer service, and will make customer want to come back.
    Respect, Respect, and communicate

2. "Nice co-workers, horrible corporate management"

Former Employee - Cashier in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Logan, UT

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1 - 50% discount on delicious hamburgers while on the clock.
    2 - Easy job. It was fairly easy to get hired as well.
    3 - My team leaders and store manager were very nice, hardworking people. (for the most part)

Cons

1. Horribly unrealistic expectations from corporate management, who visit on a weekly basis.
    2. Virtually no employment benefits or reasons to stick with the company.
    3. The corporate managers of Carl's Jr. show little to no respect for their hourly workers. E.g. the store manager at my location was fired after fifteen years of working at Carl's because she couldn't lower the drive-thru time to less than a five minute average. Firing her was outrageous behavior. I also witnessed a few really good workers (people who had been there more than six months) walk out and quit on the spot because they couldn't handle the way they were being treated by the district managers at our location.
    4. Paychecks are disbursed by default through a third-party company onto cards, which Carl's gives to every employee. These cards have weird fees and can only be used at locations like 7/11 ATMs without extra charges.
    5. Stores are often understaffed and employees have to work long hours. One of my team leaders once worked an eighteen hour shift until two in the morning (7 am - 2 am), and then had to come back at five a.m. after a three hour break, then working until five o'clock in the afternoon. Personally, I was most often assigned ten hour shifts (strictly on drive-thru) with only one 30 minute break. Crazy long hours for such a mind numbing job.
    6. I gave my best work to Carl's Jr. for three months and wasn't once given a personal compliment or word of encouragement from corporate or district managers. It's very hard to give a job your best work only to receive harsh criticism in return.

Advice to Management

You've got to start treating your workers with respect. For example, I felt like some of the computer based learning modules I had to complete insulted my intelligence. Carl's Jr. works so hard trying to force their employees to be happy by making them learn memorize various acronyms and phrases detailing what kind of friendliness they should demonstrate to customers. What Carl's Jr. doesn't do, however, is try to cultivate an environment in which their workers would be naturally happy. I was yelled at by various managers for failing to say precise phrases to customers. (I was yelled at for saying "your welcome" instead of "my pleasure", I was also yelled at for asking a customer if they wanted a "small, a medium, or a large drink" instead of saying "would you like that upsized to a medium or large?") I'm sure every low-level employee feels like they could run the company better than the boss, but I would advice the Carl's Jr. Corporate employees to make a real effort to show respect for their hourly workers.

3. "Fast paced and always busy, management is the worst"

Current Employee - Cook
    Current Employee - Cook

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working as a team was very good. Majority of my coworkers are willing to help. Discounts of 50% off food when on breaks and 20% off any other time.

Cons

The place is always busy and fast paced. If you are the cook, as I am, you will fall behind on orders. You constantly get yelled at my management and even some of the rude cashiers about not putting out the food fast enough. All orders had to be out in under 3 minutes, which is nearly impossible when customers order 6+ burgers.

But the worst of it all was when you had weekly upper management come in to inspect the place working efficiently. They never praise the employees, they just hassle us about the mistakes we do. Every employee hates them.

Advice to Management

Work with the crew members and not hassle them. We do our best to provide great service.

5. "chef"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great hours
    -great food.
    - easy learning curve

Cons

-food
    - no advancement, you are stuck in that job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.

6. "Love/Hate Relationship"

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most employees are very nice, fairly good flexibility, easy to get hired, good about giving requested days off if in advance, discount on food, you can socialize with customers and get to know them, the environment is usually an upbeat and happy one.

Cons

Lots of gossip amongst workers, favoritism, some spanish speaking workers don't understand you or cant communicate with you or pretend not to understand you, some co-workers are very lazy and don't keep up on cleaning tasks as asked or told, there are very high expectations that realistically can't be met. Some things just take too long to cook especially during rush hours. You don't have enough time to get the store up and running in the morning. They give you 30 min before doors open to get everything up and running and they want you out 45 min after close. This is impossible. Then you get lectured and treated poorly when you don't meet these expectations. If you arent meeting your labor requirements you have to send people home. you may have no choice but to work with 2 people in the front and 2 people in the kitchen and then you are also expected to keep everything clean and orders out on time. How can you do this with one person cooking burgers, one person running fries and the green burrito line? And one person in drive thru and one to run the front for walk-in customers? It's not possible. Its very stressful.

Advice to Management

I'd love to see the people who set these guidelines and rules to come in and run the floor under these circumstances, like in undercover boss. I bet you'd realize how unrealistic your expectations are. Maybe you'd appreciate and understand your employees more.

7. "Horrible place to work at"

Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Newhall, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Newhall, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good way to start earning money.

Cons

Very rude shift leaders and district manager.

Advice to Management

They should be more friendly and not have their favorites.

8. "Decent Pay, Low Trust"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Woodward, OK
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Woodward, OK

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay
    health insurance
    loyalty to employees

Cons

Low chance of moving up the ladder much within the company.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your lower management.

9. "shift leader"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Lake Havasu City, AZ

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great crew members most where hard workers but had those who just would not follow co. gridlines. but those same ppl where great at standing around with the guest service

Cons

this was so disorganized, favoritism at its best. would set expamples of best employees and re hiring the worst. allowing shift to slack off leaving a greater burden on the graveyard shifts. to pick up slack that was left through out the day.

"Very stressful and expectations ridiculous."

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. Chance to move up if you can handle the stress and hard work. You can take what you learn at Carls Jr, to find a better job.

Cons

Extremely stressful, expectations are ridiculous with the labor allotted. Huge menu that is labor intensive. No retirement. No labor credit for sick days or vacation days, so you have to be ahead on labor to be able to use vacation or sick days???!!! General Manager does their job and the lob of 2 employees as well.

Advice to Management

Pray that the job market remains tight, since there is little to recommend Carls Jr for a career choice except that it is a job. Offer some sort of retirement option, at least match 2% on 401k contributions. Keep in mind that reduced staffing affects service and morale. No matter how much you threaten jobs and yell at people, they can only do so much. The continuing shortage of management staffing and high management turnover, should tell you something about your business practices.

11. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Cashier in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get experience on been a waitress.

Cons

The expect so much from you but pay you poorly they dont give you any raise i have a friend that been working their for 8years and she still gets paid $8 managers dont care of your opinion they treat you good in the begining after like crap.

Advice to Management

They should give a raise to people once they hit 1year or 6months for the way they treat employees and dont care of what you feel is wrong i dont think its worth working here get a job at costcomor home depot you have a better future their.