Carle Clinic Reviews | Glassdoor

R. Bruce Wellman

1. "Loved it!"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Champaign, IL

I worked at Carle Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Patients, doctors, staff, supervisor, bonuses

Cons

Of course the pay could have been better!

Advice to Management

The supervisor I had was amazing!! She was very involved and helped in any way she could! I loved working for her!

2. "Overall decent experience but I wish I hadn't stayed so long."

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Urbana, IL

I worked at Carle Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pros are very few in working at Carle Clinic. The non-management people are great. They are some of the best people I have met and I have formed life long friends with several people, both staff and doctors.

Cons

The cons are numerous. The pay is poor and the benefits aren't that great. I pay less for the same health insurance plan at a new job that isn't in healthcare! Carle's slogan is advanced medicine close to home. Well, they aren't know for advanced paychecks. The atmosphere is toxic. There is a lot of gossip and back-biting. The management plays favorites, I saw this in many departments from several managers. They don't value hard work and honest people. I saw someone get fired for reporting a potential life-threatening error made by a nurse. Employees who were hard workers were punished. I saw someone get written up for coming into work early who wasn't even on the clock but arrived 15 mins before her shift started. They need more employees. The patient load is crazy and the staff can't keep up. They value the bottom line, plan and simple. Carle isn't in the business of truly caring and helping people. It's all about the money. I've seen doctors fired and they are treated just like the employees. They don't have a say in what happens in their practices. Employees are just a number at Carle.

Advice to Management

It would behoove management to start treating all employees equally and to compensate them better. They need to start valuing long term employees. Employee turn over is a huge problem at Carle.

3. "medical administrative assistant"

Former Employee - Medical Administrative Assistant in Danville, IL
    Former Employee - Medical Administrative Assistant in Danville, IL

I worked at Carle Clinic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good co-workers, good benefits, nice offices

Cons

work-life balance is difficult, hard to leave the stress at work

Advice to Management

positive reinforcement versus cut-downs is more effective and improves morale

5. "Challenging"

Former Employee - Insurance Invoice Collector in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Insurance Invoice Collector in Urbana, IL

I worked at Carle Clinic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very challenging and very interesting work

Cons

Not always a friendly computer system

6. "My experience with Carle was overall satisfactory."

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Urbana, IL

Pros

Very good benefits package
    Flexible hours

Cons

No job security at Carle.

Advice to Management

Have regard for employees who have been loyal to Carle Clinic for many, many years (17+).

7. "All depends who you work under."

Current Employee - Software Support Engineer in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Software Support Engineer in Urbana, IL

Pros

It is hard to get fired, unless you do something very stupid.

Cons

Poor performers are rewarded the same as the heavy hitters. Everyone suffers from the few that abuse.

8. "Employment worth investing your life in."

Current Employee - Currently IT in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Currently IT in Urbana, IL

Pros

I have many yesrs of experience of working between Carle Hospital and Carle Clinic. One reason that stands above the rest for working at Carle is feeling that my input is valued and encouraged. They seek suggestions for improvement of all processes from all staff. They encourage involvement of staff for decisions ranging from how we want our department remodeled while the plans are being drawn up to decisions on how FTE's may be best utilized in our opinions. I have seen the evidence of their taking into cosideration our suggestions. This makes me feel like a valued employee!

Cons

We have weathered some tough years together between the implementation of DRGs in 1983, the MOD project in the early 90's and the financial crunch of these times. It is difficult to be negative when considering the long haul.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage and listen to the input of your employees and they will appreciate the value you place in them.