Carlos Rosario International School Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Amazing!"

Current Employee - Computer Lab Teacher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Computer Lab Teacher in Washington, DC

I have been working at Carlos Rosario International School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CR is probably one of the best schools I've ever worked for. The staff is genuinely happy and the students are very appreciative. The admin provides unlimited support and feedback to ensure that you are growing as a professional. I started three months into the school year, so I had to learn along the way; however, everyone has been easily accessible and all of my questions/concerns have been answered.

Even during the interview, walking in the building was very welcoming and I immediately wanted to be a part of the community.

Cons

There are no cons at all!

2. "Great place to work..."

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Washington, DC

I worked at Carlos Rosario International School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers and CR's leadership team...

Cons

I have the best memories working at CR

3. "Mostly good"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at Carlos Rosario International School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great professional development. Teach mornings or evenings if new hire. Appreciative students (they attend free of cost). Fun events. They really care about the immigrant population and offer lots of services for them. There is a culinary arts program that prepares incredible food. Some sick days, some holiday pay. Nice, clean, large building. Modern computer lab.

Cons

Nearly impossible to go full-time as an ESL teacher. Huge administrative record-keeping requirements that add lots of hours. Classes are large - normally capped at 25, but can be more.

Advice to Management

Get a grant to cover the cost of full-time benefits and hire part-timers for full-time; that way you can hold on to more talent.

5. "Positive"

Former Employee - Teacher's Aide in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Teacher's Aide in Washington, DC

Pros

The mission and facilities of the school are great, the salary is good for part-time staff, and there are a number of professional development opportunities. Directors are very supportive. I had my first job out of college here with little experience, but my supervisor believed in me and even offered me a promotion after a few months of work.

Cons

The class sizes in the program I worked in were quite small and sometimes the attendance was quite low. There was not much incentive for the students to come, but understandably as many had jobs and children to tend to.

The HR screening process is not very rigorous. I had a bad experience with that as the head teacher was dismissed because he had not disclosed important information about his past to HR.

Advice to Management

Try to make the programs a bit more formal. Screen your employees better, especially if they will be working closely with student and young children.

6. "Culinary Arts Instructor"

Former Employee - Culinary Arts Instructor
    Former Employee - Culinary Arts Instructor

I worked at Carlos Rosario International School part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

By far the most inspiring job I have ever had. Amazing staff and program. The school cares for it's employees. Only place I ever received a Holiday Bonus. Students give you reason to want to go to work every day. Great benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Like most teaching positions, you put in a lot more hours than you get paid. Very few full time positions.

7. "Has potential"

I have been working at Carlos Rosario International School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Adult Ed can be underfunded but not at this school. The majority of the students feel welcome. The salaries are competitive for this work and in the non profit world.

Cons

The school's management and leadership. If you are social justice oriented, you can find a lot of the language and practices used by the leadership cringeworthy.

Advice to Management

Allow more room for open dialogue. Meet with students and teachers more. Be more transparent. Connect more to what is actually happening in the classrooms and in the school.

8. "HR Assistant"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Carlos Rosario International School as a contractor

Pros

Positive work environment. Everyone is friendly and helpful, even to temp/contract employees. They make you feel welcome.

Cons

Heavy workload at times. Salary was also low.

9. "A place to start but not to stay for motivated, driven IT professionals."

Former Employee - Technology
    Former Employee - Technology

I worked at Carlos Rosario International School full-time

Pros

Good benefits(medical, 403b), adheres to Federal holidays and inclement weather policies. Not a 24/7/365 environment. Good parking. Patient with employee development. Generally pleasant workplace and staff. Very supportive immediate team. Sonia Gutierrez, the school founder, is a truly charismatic leader. Demanding but fair.

Cons

Not enterprise level. Small environment and budget. Limited opportunities to work with the latest technologies. Nominally static environment with limited engineering opportunities. Non-technical managers drive technology adoption instead of requirements. Social/people troubleshooting prevails over technical engineering. Sonia Gutierrez is stepping down.

Advice to Management

Communicate to your IT staff your requirements. Let IT find the solution.

10. "Part-time Tutor"

Pros

Great place to work. Friendly staff, wonderful mission, and you get to work with adult students from all over the world.

Cons

I do not see many downsides to working at this school so far. Everyone has treated me well, and the school appears to have an important impact on the community.

Advice to Management

I would say keep doing what you are doing. It might be good to implement of more in-depth training program for the tutors, so that we are all on the same page.