Carlson Craft Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Shipping"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mankato, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mankato, MN

I have been working at Carlson Craft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always looking for quality employees. Flexible with your time if you need to leave for appointments. Good for College students or second family income looking for benefits.

Cons

Hourly rates are low and raises are small no matter the quality of the work. Not a good fit for a person to earn enough to support themselves with rent and other expenses. Advancement opportunities limited.

Advice to Management

Pay your top employees a livable wage. They are your best employees so, pay them or lose them.

2. "Shipping Clerk"

Current Employee - Shipping Clerk in Mankato, MN
    Current Employee - Shipping Clerk in Mankato, MN

I have been working at Carlson Craft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible with personal time. Most employees are great to work with.

Cons

Low hourly pay, great for college students, and second income families, not so much for a single person. Can't pay rent let alone food with what you make. Little opportunity for advancements.

Advice to Management

You need a nucleus of full time employees who can keep all of your temps on top of productions. You need to pay your full time employees more to attract and keep the cream of the crop

3. "Job Experience"

Pros

Great coworkers, tons of training

Cons

Call center and it is hard to keep all of the details straight

4. "Customer Service Rep Agent"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Carlson Craft full-time

Pros

The people you work with are awesome. The products are pretty cool. The knowledge of the market is interesting and learning more about Wedding Invitations was fascinating.Benefits were Good.

Cons

The pay was horrible, management promised better training but it never came. It was hard dealing with angry customers, I felt that my insights weren't heard until someone else said it.

Advice to Management

Fix the website, make information more readily available for the CSR's and for customers. So we can direct them there. Stream line processes. if we have an envelope in one color in one size, make sure we can get it and let the CSR's know that it can be gotten. Custom Quoting doesn't take calls from clients, and we weren't supposed to just have customer send email. We had to do it, this needs to change. Another item that needs to change is the separation of departments. When you are calling one and they send you to another and then they complete their part and send you back to the original department there is a problem. That is too many touches, and the processes need to become more lean (as in Six Sigma Lean). If the CSR's have information like the envelope chart, so should the dealers. Along with color charts (not just ink but also foil). I have more but I'll end here.

5. "Good"

Current Employee - Production Temp in Carlson, PA
    Current Employee - Production Temp in Carlson, PA

I have been working at Carlson Craft (Less than a year)

Pros

You don't need experience to do this job and it's not so busy even during the peak season.

Cons

When you're new and a mistake has been done they always assume you are the one who did it and the supervisor are mostly blaming the new ones.

6. "silk screen"

Former Employee - Silk Screener in Good Thunder, MN
    Former Employee - Silk Screener in Good Thunder, MN

I worked at Carlson Craft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pros about this place is that you get to eat lunch and it has good people that work there

Cons

Terrible company to work for if you are looking for a lifelong career. The corporate level is full of greedy people who don't give one crap about you. Terrible company to work for

Advice to Management

Learn to not be so greedy and lay off hundreds of people without notice all the time. You can't trust this company

7. "Production Supervisor"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in North Mankato, MN
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in North Mankato, MN

I have been working at Carlson Craft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities to interact with several different areas of the business.
    Product development and implementation of new ideas.

Cons

Too many employees per supervisor.
    Salary

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and give each supervisor less employees to mentor and manage.

"Ehhhhh..."

Current Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Mankato, MN
    Current Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Mankato, MN

I have been working at Carlson Craft part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're going in as a student the schedule is amazingly flexible. They work around it very well , and the people there are ,for the most part, all very nice . They really don't restrict how you can dress ether, which is really convenient if you go there between classes. The pay is good, specially if you're going in as a bilingual representative. PTO is also a bonus, paid holidays, the AC works really well, so it doesn't get very hot in the office. .

Cons

The schedule , once set, is pretty much something you have to adhere to or get fired. It is set in stone unless you break a leg or it is very slow at work. You constantly feel like the managers are watching you or talking about you . I'm not saying they do this , but it's the feeling you get . You can't get out of the phone to make a change to an invitation for five seconds before someone is already sending you a message to get back in the phone. You are told to take your time on orders to avoid mistakes by one person , but another person is constantly rushing you to move on to the next call. It can be very , very stressful .Most of the managers are nice. My Direct supervisor was Jolene Wilson , and I think she did a good job handling me and dealing with how unkind I could be sometimes. I do sincerely believe she did all she could when we complained to her about something or the other, but whoever was supposed to help her( or allow her ) to make the change ( or however it works ) never really did much . I think it's not the kind of job you want to stay in for a super long time because your mind and body ( with all the sitting ) will explode. Bilingual representatives have to go in and basically do the job for 5 different departments and 2 other companies (occasionally helping them with their orders) because of a lack of bilingual representatives, all the while working on incoming emails and holds. It's not a very fulfilling job. I mean , I guess you get to help people get their wedding invitations, but I can't say I got a tremendous amount of satisfaction out of it( but I did get some ! Some of the dealers are extremely grateful and, in the small Spanish department, you really get to know some of them).

Advice to Management

Jolene did everything she could to help me while I was there. I was not the nicest employee at times, but she was never mean to me. This is a very good thing , but some of the supervisors need to make themselves more accessible. It can be intimidating to approach them . Also, the art department really needs to find a better way to locate the artwork being sent to the company. A way to make the atmosphere at work feel less suffocating really needs to be found too . It can be a little tough at times to keep it together.

"customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in North Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service in North Mankato, MN

I worked at Carlson Craft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was with company along time. Initially it was a family experience and everyone was supportive

Cons

As the economy was worsening, so did managements view of long-time employes and they seemed not to regard experience as necessary. The results was bad all around

"Currently not a good place to be employed"

I have been working at Carlson Craft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with are great, decent benefits, job is not very hard to do.

Cons

A company that has been struggling and yet refuses to listen to it's employees. Current management has no compassion for the employees, not very flexible with hours, changes policies without informing employees of the changes. Not enough managers who actually manage, more interested in taking breaks and sitting at their desks all day long staring at the computer. Over all a tense atmosphere with extremely long hours.

Advice to Management

Maybe it's time to go back in time to review what worked in the "prime" of the company and implement some of those things. Wake up and realize that the employees are the most important element of the company and treat them as such, without them you can have all the sales and all the products in the world but without employees to process them, you have nothing. Stop trying to drive what employees you do have out, and think about ways to hold on to them. Be more understanding when employees have things going on outside of work, the company may be all you have in your life, however that is not the case with every employee. Have the HR department get a back bone and take care of things instead of hoping someone else will.