Carlson Craft Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin Svenson

1. "Shipping"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mankato, MN

I have been working at Carlson Craft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always looking for quality employees. Flexible with your time if you need to leave for appointments. Good for College students or second family income looking for benefits.

Cons

Hourly rates are low and raises are small no matter the quality of the work. Not a good fit for a person to earn enough to support themselves with rent and other expenses. Advancement opportunities limited.

Advice to Management

Pay your top employees a livable wage. They are your best employees so, pay them or lose them.

2. "Shipping Clerk"

Current Employee - Shipping Clerk in Mankato, MN
    Current Employee - Shipping Clerk in Mankato, MN

I have been working at Carlson Craft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible with personal time. Most employees are great to work with.

Cons

Low hourly pay, great for college students, and second income families, not so much for a single person. Can't pay rent let alone food with what you make. Little opportunity for advancements.

Advice to Management

You need a nucleus of full time employees who can keep all of your temps on top of productions. You need to pay your full time employees more to attract and keep the cream of the crop

3. "Good"

Current Employee - Production Temp in Carlson, PA
    Current Employee - Production Temp in Carlson, PA

I have been working at Carlson Craft (Less than a year)

Pros

You don't need experience to do this job and it's not so busy even during the peak season.

Cons

When you're new and a mistake has been done they always assume you are the one who did it and the supervisor are mostly blaming the new ones.

5. "silk screen"

Former Employee - Silk Screener in Good Thunder, MN
    Former Employee - Silk Screener in Good Thunder, MN

I worked at Carlson Craft full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pros about this place is that you get to eat lunch and it has good people that work there

Cons

Terrible company to work for if you are looking for a lifelong career. The corporate level is full of greedy people who don't give one crap about you. Terrible company to work for

Advice to Management

Learn to not be so greedy and lay off hundreds of people without notice all the time. You can't trust this company

6. "Production Supervisor"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in North Mankato, MN
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in North Mankato, MN

I have been working at Carlson Craft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities to interact with several different areas of the business.
    Product development and implementation of new ideas.

Cons

Too many employees per supervisor.
    Salary

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and give each supervisor less employees to mentor and manage.

"Ehhhhh..."

Current Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Mankato, MN
    Current Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Mankato, MN

I have been working at Carlson Craft part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're going in as a student the schedule is amazingly flexible. They work around it very well , and the people there are ,for the most part, all very nice . They really don't restrict how you can dress ether, which is really convenient if you go there between classes. The pay is good, specially if you're going in as a bilingual representative. PTO is also a bonus, paid holidays, the AC works really well, so it doesn't get very hot in the office. .

Cons

The schedule , once set, is pretty much something you have to adhere to or get fired. It is set in stone unless you break a leg or it is very slow at work. You constantly feel like the managers are watching you or talking about you . I'm not saying they do this , but it's the feeling you get . You can't get out of the phone to make a change to an invitation for five seconds before someone is already sending you a message to get back in the phone. You are told to take your time on orders to avoid mistakes by one person , but another person is constantly rushing you to move on to the next call. It can be very , very stressful .Most of the managers are nice. My Direct supervisor was Jolene Wilson , and I think she did a good job handling me and dealing with how unkind I could be sometimes. I do sincerely believe she did all she could when we complained to her about something or the other, but whoever was supposed to help her( or allow her ) to make the change ( or however it works ) never really did much . I think it's not the kind of job you want to stay in for a super long time because your mind and body ( with all the sitting ) will explode. Bilingual representatives have to go in and basically do the job for 5 different departments and 2 other companies (occasionally helping them with their orders) because of a lack of bilingual representatives, all the while working on incoming emails and holds. It's not a very fulfilling job. I mean , I guess you get to help people get their wedding invitations, but I can't say I got a tremendous amount of satisfaction out of it( but I did get some ! Some of the dealers are extremely grateful and, in the small Spanish department, you really get to know some of them).

Advice to Management

Jolene did everything she could to help me while I was there. I was not the nicest employee at times, but she was never mean to me. This is a very good thing , but some of the supervisors need to make themselves more accessible. It can be intimidating to approach them . Also, the art department really needs to find a better way to locate the artwork being sent to the company. A way to make the atmosphere at work feel less suffocating really needs to be found too . It can be a little tough at times to keep it together.

"customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in North Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service in North Mankato, MN

I worked at Carlson Craft full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was with company along time. Initially it was a family experience and everyone was supportive

Cons

As the economy was worsening, so did managements view of long-time employes and they seemed not to regard experience as necessary. The results was bad all around

9. "Fairly decent college student job."

Former Employee - Typist in North Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Typist in North Mankato, MN

I worked at Carlson Craft part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Several college student employees make for a more interesting environment. Flexible with class schedule.

Cons

Low hourly rate and fluctuating hours. It would be dreadfully boring if not for the other similar age employees.

"Great benefits - pay depends on your position."

I have been working at Carlson Craft full-time

Pros

The benefits and the people are some of the best reasons to work here. Overall, it's a great company to work for and I would recommend this employer.

Cons

The pay isn't anything wonderful but it's reasonable for the area. It also depends what your position is

"A great, caring company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in North Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in North Mankato, MN

Pros

Friendly staff, great management. Constant opportunities for performance reviews.

Cons

Fairly performance driven based on average statistics. This isn't always the most efficient form of performance measurements

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!