Carlton Hair Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 10, 2017

2.4
James O'Regan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Awesome structure and training each week for assistants but the overall pay should be higher"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Carlton Hair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Education is amazing
    Education can be deducted from payroll
    Try to keep stylists inspired with yearly hair show and collection
    Uses Goldwell color and have a close relationship with them
    Carry great retail/ backbar products

Cons

Had to clock out and keep working then clock back in later so I would not go over my 8 hours per day
    Not much room for growth
    Have to pay out of pocket for all education
    Commission scale should be improved
    Regis Corporation is making a ton of money off each transaction and not passing much on to stylists
    No vacation

2. "Stylist/salon manager"

Current Employee - Stylist/Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Stylist/Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Carlton Hair full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Regis/Carlton has revamped their leadership and it is way better! Carlton offers a ton of resources to help you grow your business. Stylist must remember that they will only be successful if they push themselves.

Cons

Carlton isn't for you unless you are willing to work hard. Some salons need to be remodeled. We need to be up to par with other salons.

Advice to Management

New stylist need a better commission plan.

3. "WORST JOB OF MY LIFEs"

Former Employee - Salon Coordinator in Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Salon Coordinator in Century City, CA

I worked at Carlton Hair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only nice part about working at Carlton is that as an employee you get your hair done for free, you also get a few free products upon hire.

Cons

The management is awful and condescending, you feel like you're part of a cult ( a very underpaid cult who seems to just LOVE lengthy commutes and repeating a script). Lots of busy work with very little pay and full-time in Carlton terms is 6 hours a day max if you're lucky. Unstable hours. Terrible parking situation, you have to pay 10$ a day when you're only making $10.50-$11 an hour. Some of the stylists are catty (not all) lots of gossip and mismanagement. Hard work isn't valued, if someone screws the totals up before you, YOU have to spend the entire time fixing them or it's on you and if god forbid you stay a few minutes over the 5-6 hours doing that, management comes in to reprimand you about the extra overtime even though you're correcting someone else's mistakes. Extremely high turn over rate for both stylists and coordinators. Sometimes when salons in other locations need a coordinator you have to fill in, even if it's a 50 mile drive..which is ridiculous considering gas will cost about 2 hours of your work. Random mandatory, unnecessary meetings. Toxic environment. I got reprimanded for not "smiling" enough, so you better prepare that plastic grin.

Advice to Management

Maybe if you guys actually cared about the people working there and weren't just a bunch of zombies reading scripts, turnover would decrease.

"This place is an ulcer waiting to happen."

Former Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Carlton Hair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Medical benefits
    -401K
    -Education, especially the training you get as an assistant
    -Marketing

Cons

- High stress
    - Extremely low pay
    - Dead end job
    - Always have to work holidays
    - I worked here for 3 years and no matter how well I was doing, or how many goals I was hitting, I never once I had a meeting with management where I wasn't made to feel like I was failing the company. They slap the most impossible goals and expectations on you and offer you very little pay or compensation.
    - All of the commission made from my many product sales went to the receptionists
    - They put an enormous amount of pressure on you to pay for in-company classes. I spent over $600 on classes taught by people in the company.
    - Very poor work/life balance. I felt like I was constantly at work, always on weekends and every single holiday, and struggled to get days off for important events.
    - No paid vacation ever, which by the way the receptionist do get. You figure that one out.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your staff like they are so replaceable, and maybe you won't have to CONSTANTLY be replacing them. I never felt so relieved as the day I gave my notice.

"It's ok to start as a stylist here for their education program"

Former Employee - Salon Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Salon Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Carlton Hair part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great education classes for stylists
    They pay for salon supplies
    They give product comission to salon coordinators
    They have a yearly hair show
    You get your hair done for free

Cons

You're just a number to them.
    I was unfairly made to quit my job because apparently working for a makeup company & Carlton Hair was a "conflict of interest" when other employees were working for the same makeup company & Carlton Hair and they were never asked to quit or let go. I'm sure that's valid for a law suit.
    They stress their stylist to unbelievable levels.
    Stylist end up taking home more than half less money than they really made.
    I used to love my job so much at Carlton, until they changed management.
    They book you clients by how much product you sell. You don't sell their product, you don't get busy and you don't get promoted.

Advice to Management

Be aware of what really goes on in salons. Artists work so hard, and they are under appreciated.

6. "Salon coordinator"

Pros

Discounts on product and sometimes flexible with scheduling

Cons

Company all about retail and demanding pushing promos and product. Leaving little for creative aspect hair stylists and salon atmosphere should be

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and meet half way instead of demanding them to sign contracts with company

"At Carlton Hair, the salon receptionionst will make 3x more than the stylist"

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Carlton Hair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Education program, medical/dental/vision benefits, nice locations, high end product, free hair services, opportunity to build clientele

Cons

You are only a number at Carlton. It doesn't matter if you are friendly, good at your job, and show up on time. If you don't hit their sales goals and sell product you are nothing to them. Extremely hard to get promoted. No hourly pay raises. The front desk gets hourly, paid vacation, and commission. Stylist gets 35% of first $675 they sell, 41% anything after up to $1500. Climbs up after that, but this is on a weekly basis. Horribly unflexible schedule. No discounts for customers or family members. Front desk is documenting you constantly and will complain about you to management so they will get promoted.

Advice to Management

A little praise and thank you go a long way. District leader is pretentious, rude, terribly offensive.

"It has so much potential to be a great place to work, but it simply is not."

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Carlton Hair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of education for stylists
    Good assistant program to train new stylists.
    Medical benefits and 401k option
    Marketing to bring in clientele provided
    Paid vacation for salon coordinators

Cons

Salon Coordinators make commission on all products sold, regardless if it was it was actually the stylist's sell.
    Salon Coordinators get paid vacation however stylists DO NOT. Even if they have been with the company for years
    Commission scales for stylists are very small, stylists on average only taking in about half of what they actually make.
    Education provided by the company is NOT free and is in fact very expensive, on top of that there is a lot of pressure to pay for the classes.
    There is endless time clock issues. The company has been sued over time clock issues and lost at least twice. And still there is so much confusion and chaos over this issue.
    Assistants are required to work 6 days a week. They get away with this by having one of the days off be an education day, but this education day is mandatory and entails of driving to Irvine (EVERY MONDAY) no matter where you live,

Advice to Management

There are probably about 15 people in this company who make a lot of money. Then their are the hundreds of employees who work back breaking jobs for pennies. My advice is start focusing on what would actually make your employees happy. Stop focusing for a few minutes on how to squeeze even more money out of your stylists and focus on your terrible turn around problem. If you have more salons open than you can afford, close some down until you can make the working experience lucrative AND enjoying and fulfilling. And for goodness sake, find a way to help you stylist make more of a decent living. When you pay your receptionist significantly higher than your licensed professionals you have a serious priority problem.