Carmike Cinemas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Carmike Cinemas President, CEO, and Director S. David Passman III
S. David Passman III

Pros
  • Free movies free popcorn free soda fun place to work bosses are great atmosphere is great safe place to work (in 146 reviews)

• Good pay, Free movies and popcorn, fun enviroment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Only pay raises I received in four years of employment came from a raise in minimum wage and a promotion (in 39 reviews)

• Low pay, No overtime pay, work holidays (in 26 reviews)

1. "Awesome employer"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Apple Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Apple Valley, CA

I worked at Carmike Cinemas part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the friendliest environments I've ever worked in. My former fellow employees were outstanding people who worked hard to provide a great place for customers to come see movies and enjoy the concessions that were offered. The perks for being an employee of Carmike Cinemas were awesome.

Cons

Even though I was hired as a part-time employee, I wish I could've been given a lot more hours. And a con for the whole business was to see how much it was affected by the seasons. It was slower in the winter and early spring but picked up when it started to get warmer. And that industry is really driven by the movie companies when they decide to release new features. But, it was what it was and I showed up on time when it was my time to work and I gave it my all.

Advice to Management

Don't use write-ups so much. Even for first time employees. Everybody's going to make mistakes and I think the write-up system was overused. It's not a really good way to teach someone how to do something. I think a supervisor should work with each new employee to show them how to do as much as they can so that mistakes are kept to a minimum and when a mistake is made, such drastic disciplinary actions don't need to be taken. Or if that system must be used, at least convert to an all digital format to save paper and ink.

And give more raises. More money and better benefits and full-time hours will make for happier employees especially if the employer does what it can for the employees.

2. "District Manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Carmike Cinemas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was a great company to work for unfortunately they were sold and went out of business.

Cons

They sold the company and there was no room with the new company.

Advice to Management

Stay focused, positive and be proactive not reactive. Always be ready for the unexpected.

3. "Fun part-time job."

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Floor Staff in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Carmike Cinemas part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Free movies, popcorn, and drinks
    -Opportunities to become crew/staff leaders or supervisors for ages 18+
    -Had good managers at my location that worked with my schedule

Cons

-Closing concessions usually takes until past 1:00 am, and that's if you know what you are doing
    -The occasional irrational customer(s)
    -Scheduling sometimes is not favorable and can cause busy shifts

Advice to Management

Whichever manager is over the scheduling needs to learn to think ahead on each day and assign more shifts accordingly. We were slammed on Tuesday night (which is stimulus Tuesday) after Beauty and the Beast premiered because we had only 2 people on concessions when there could have been up to 11 on all the registers. 2 managers had to get on registers to help take care of the lines of people, and it still took over an hour before the lines died down.

5. "Great for a first job"

Former Employee - Staff Leader in Fort Oglethorpe, GA
    Former Employee - Staff Leader in Fort Oglethorpe, GA

I worked at Carmike Cinemas part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall my job was supervising concessions employees and keeping up with inventory, counting down registers, etc. The job gives a lot of flexibility and variety. Also involves a lot of problem solving, customer service, etc. Loved it as my first job.

Cons

Late hours, not a lot of flexibility in terms of time off, especially on the weekends. It basically all depends on if the manager feels like working with employees on their schedule.

Advice to Management

Don't let the fact that employees are mostly younger adults/ teens cloud your judgement or bring you down to their level. Management needs to be professional and respectful of all employees.

6. "Good Starting Job"

Former Employee - Film Crew Member in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Film Crew Member in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Carmike Cinemas part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helpful, Reasonable, Flexible, Fun Co-workers

Cons

Menial, Overworking for some, Slack for others, without purpose

7. "Good job for students"

Former Employee - Box Office Cashier in Edinburg, TX
    Former Employee - Box Office Cashier in Edinburg, TX

I worked at Carmike Cinemas part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good perks--such as free movies, drinks & popcorn. Laid back work environment with opportunity for advancement. I got a raise after a year working with them. Very flexible & respected my school schedule.

Cons

The favoritism was very apparent

Advice to Management

Less favoritism would go a long way.

8. "Fun place to work!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Harlan, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Harlan, KY

I worked at Carmike Cinemas part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were fun, upselling and talking with customers was always fun, chances for paycheck bonuses and commission came during certain promotions, decent hours.

Cons

The company neglected our theater (sound problems, screen issues, broken chairs), the assistant manager was hired due to a thing she had with the former manager, we couldn't stay to work during films due to pay cuts and I often had to leave and come back 2 hours later.

Advice to Management

Take care of your small town theaters.

9. "Management needs to be better supervised, employees are less than satisfactory."

Current Employee - Team Member in Bethlehem, GA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Bethlehem, GA

I have been working at Carmike Cinemas part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. Free movies. Free popcorn while working. Free sodas. Discounted concession items. Overall okayish environment to work in.

Cons

Bad management. Turnover rate is through the roof. Employees create way too much drama. Management does not abide by the schedule they set in place and you'll stay there 3 hours past the time you're scheduled to get off.

Advice to Management

Keep a better tab on your employees, abide by the schedule, and be willing to actually do your job.

10. "Decent Job"

Former Employee - Staff Leader in Auburn, AL
    Former Employee - Staff Leader in Auburn, AL

I worked at Carmike Cinemas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work while in college, works well around a class schedule. Lots of college students working in the same place allowed for easily switching shifts or having a shift covered if something came up.

Cons

Working late nights and weekends gets old really fast. Only pay raises I received in four years of employment came from a raise in minimum wage and a promotion.

Advice to Management

Give more incentive such as pay raises for a job well done. People are will work harder when their work is not only appreciated, but rewarded as well.

11. "Decent, Seasonal Job"

Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Carmike Cinemas part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This Carmike Cinemas had a friendly management team, that was encouraging and insightful on how to sell concession items better.

Cons

The hourly wages were low.

Advice to Management

Consider higher wages.