Carnegie Institution Department of Plant Biology Reviews | Glassdoor

Carnegie Institution Department of Plant Biology Reviews

Found 8 reviews

4.3
  1. "Summer Intern experience"

I worked at Carnegie Institution Department of Plant Biology

Pros

Good work/life balance, many opportunities to learn and grow. Nice people to work with.

Cons

Working with many smart people when you're a novice.

2. "It's okay."

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Carnegie Institution Department of Plant Biology full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Get to work with some of the best people in plant biology. Great location (Stanford, CA). Can use many of Stanford's resources.

Cons

Affiliated to Stanford, but not part of Stanford. Building is pretty old so are most of the equipment.

3. "Good Science, poor compensation"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Carnegie Institution Department of Plant Biology for more than a year

Pros

Brilliant Scientists, Great Campus, Chance to collaborate and network

Cons

Poor pay, old facilities, expensive area

Advice to Management

Better compensate scientists and staff who dedicated their life to research in the expensive area.

4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Carnegie Institution Department of Plant Biology full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Carnegie has a wonderful community and work environment. The small size of the department makes it so that everyone knows everyone. Researchers have access to top-of-the-line equipment on Carnegie campus and the surrounding Stanford campus. The department has launched many young people onto successful careers.

Cons

Some parts of the buildings would benefit from renovation. However, this does not significantly impact the researchers' ability to do great work.

Advice to Management

I have really enjoyed my time at Carnegie. Thanks for doing a really great job. Keep up the good work!

5. "Post doc for more than 4 years"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Carnegie offers some exceptional scientists to interact with, share ideas, and collaborate.

Cons

As a post-doc, I wish there were more resources available for career advancement.

6. "Working with researchers to develop instruments"

Current Employee - Instrument Maker in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Carnegie Institution Department of Plant Biology

Pros

Great working conditions and benefits.

Cons

No downside to Carnegie, just a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Take the machine shop out of the hands of the inexperienced facilities engineer & give the machinist control of the shop.

7. "Good place for a Plant biologist to stay."

Current Employee - Postdoctoral

I have been working at Carnegie Institution Department of Plant Biology

Pros

Pretty friendly working environment plus plenty of chances to have lunch with the regular Friday seminar speaker. Every postdoc has some chances to organize some of the events including summer intern seminars or lunch with the speaker.

Cons

Kind of limited to Plant Biology, no much chances to know much about other biological research if you stay in the department everyday. However, it's not far from Stanford medical center or bio-x program, enough opportunities to hang out there. In summary, no significant cons to complain.

Advice to Management

The overall setup is good but it seems that communication between different labs is kind of too few. I would like to suggest to set up a yearly retreat like many other departments are doing.

8. "A relaxing alternative to biomedical research"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Stanford, CA

I worked at Carnegie Institution Department of Plant Biology

Pros

Plant Biology, people tell me, is a much more relaxed field to be working in than, say, Medical Research. The place is small, people seem to know each other, and usually they're pretty friendly to one another.

Cons

Plant Biology seems like kind of a backwater compared to other areas of biological research. Perhaps that's changing now due to the increased interest in biofuels.

Advice to Management

Don't allow principal investigators who state a dislike for undergraduates to have undergraduate interns as research assistants.

Found 8 reviews