Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Mary Frances Cooper
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I've never read so much in my life!"

I have been working at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh full-time

Pros

Literary environment; Motivation to read; Developed book knowledge

Cons

It was difficult to manage some customer personalities.

2. "Wonderful library system to work for"

I worked at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh part-time

Pros

Carnegie Library is a well-funded organization that supports its staff with the resources they need to create great programs to engage the community. As a part-time staff person in the Children's Department at the Main library, I was supported by my manager and the other staff in being creative and drawing outside the lines.

Cons

Because it's such a large organization, the management can feel somewhat corporate at times. As a part-time worker, I was sometimes frustrated by the lack of potential for movement within the organization to a full-time position.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing for the most part; maybe offer middle management more flexibility.

3. "A great starting out job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Even though it was a part-time position it was great. Co-workers were friendly and great to work with. I was always kept busy, the hours for the position I had were flexible. I overall enjoyed going to work, it was nice.

Cons

I can't really think of any, sometimes you would get a bad patron once in a while but that is the only bad thing I can think of. Depending on your job you might be on your feet a lot if that may be an issue.

4. "Decent place to work"

Pros

Strong community asset. Mix of long term employees and newer staff. Opportunity for growth within the organization in different locations/branches/departments. Competitive benefit package.

Cons

Low salaries. Change to practice and policy is slow. The main library operates significantly differently than branch libraries.

Advice to Management

Retain and appreciate staff at all levels. Give employees more freedom to make decisions and serve patrons with a high level of service.

"Love the staff"

Current Employee - Library Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Library Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Starting wage is higher than minimum wage
    Many workshops that all staff can attend if interested
    No staff drama
    Yearly raise

Cons

Nothing new occurs for those working in clerical services

6. "Getting better all the time"

Pros

Lots of opportunity to participate in extra activities. Feels like management is trying to make staff engage. Can have ideas and tell someone. Good use of Slack to communicate about what's going on. Strategic plan is being used.

Cons

Serious focus on children and teens - not so much on everybody else. Old school way of doing things can overpower new ideas and efforts to make things better. Some things don't happen because people are lazy or afraid to fail. Some managers are good at using staff and some are not good at all.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if we could hear that we were doing a good job. it feels like managers are never satisfied and we don't get much praise except from the customers. Put some effort into hiring and training people. There is not much support for staff training.

"Could be better - much better."

Current Employee - Librarian
    Current Employee - Librarian

I have been working at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Well-established organization, loved by the public. Endless opportunities to truly help make Pittsburgh a better place. Terrific co-workers - shared goals of doing good and improving residents' lives at every turn. Generally kind customers who appreciate the work of public service workers around library system. Good support for electronic resources, and now lots of steady funding.

Cons

Lack of appreciation, respect or awareness of the knowledge and expertise of its existing employee pool. Swamped local market for library workers causes CLP to view employees as interchangeable and expendable; customers and staff know that not all MLS holders are equal! Refuses to increase compensation or reward more productive workers with greater skill and experience levels. Uses newly stabilized funding to create more administrative level positions, when customers would value more engaged and versatile "on the ground" employees. No attempt to develop diverse staff or administration (in terms of age, gender or ethnicity) through transparent hiring and promotion practices - very far behind the times in this regard. A distinct feeling that staff is not much liked, respected or considered colleagues with shared interest in public service by management.

Advice to Management

Trust that your librarians are professionals and do not require condescending customer service advice - What we need is to be empowered and supported as professionals. The various attempts at assessment over the past few years indicate that managers lack an understanding of basic statistical analysis as well as research skills, and are struggling with this aspect of their jobs. This has caused employees all around the system to waste energy on poorly designed models that hinder our progress as an organization. Consider requiring some knowledge or background in public affairs management or statistics as a prerequisite for management positions, and require training in this area for those who struggle with understanding statistics. Over the past few years, there has been a real effort to "talk the talk" when it comes to "breaking down silos," diversity and taking input from all levels. Unfortunately, CLP is not "walking the walk". I hope that management steps up and makes much needed improvements.

"It's a Library"

I have been working at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh full-time

Pros

- Relaxed and friendly work environment
    - Offers a position to build a relationship with the local communities

Cons

- Not much in the way of career opportunities due to over-saturation of similar positioned employees all looking to fill one open position at a time

Advice to Management

- While there is dialogue between management and the rest of the library system on the policy direction of the library, a less top-down approach to policy implementation would be welcome.

"Employees who work extremely hard are treated the same as those who spend their day trying to get out of doing work."

I have been working at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health care package. Carry over sick time.

Cons

Low pay for clerical staff.
    No incentive to work hard vs do as little as possible.
    Very little upward mobility.
    No chance for overtime or a full 40hr work week.

Advice to Management

Learn the roles of all staff members.
    Visit individual branches and spend time trying to understand their unique needs.

"Great goals!"

Former Employee - Librarian in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Librarian in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Working at Carnegie Library allows you to actively engage in the community, use your creativity and to help your community. You don't pick a career in a library for the pay...this library system offers good benefits as well as nice vacation and sick allowances. There is some opportunity for advancement...see below.

Cons

Its tough to feel like your hard works matters when colleagues who do much less have the same pay and opportunities. With their policy of across the board cost of living wage increases there is little incentive to go above and beyond. Likewise with the library's policy against promotion. You must apply and interview for every single new position you are interested in...there is no such thing as a promotion.

Advice to Management

Consider offering performance bases wage increases and promotions when appropriate to improve moral and increase productivity.