Carnegie Mellon University Reviews in Pennsylvania | Glassdoor

4.5
Dr. Subra Suresh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Very horrible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Work load is crazy hectic and due to the complexity of research work can be tough (in 17 reviews)

1. "Good pay for PhD student"

I have been working at Carnegie Mellon University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good stipend with lower living cost in Pittsburgh

Cons

Gloomy weather but other than that, everything is good.

2. "Resident Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Carnegie Mellon University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing job as you can make a great impact on your community and you keep connected with a lot of people in student life.

Cons

Have to be on call, for at least once a week every month

3. "PhD"

Current Employee - PhD Student in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Carnegie Mellon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work and enjoy student life

Cons

Small campus however lots of things to do in the city

4. "15112 Staff Review"

Current Employee - 15112 Teacher Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - 15112 Teacher Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Carnegie Mellon University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Personal Access to stellar faculty (especially David Kosbie and David Anderson). You get to teach two recitations a week so if teaching is your thing you get a ton of practice with it.
    The staff is one of the smartest and nicest staffs that I've ever been a part of so that's an incredible special experience!

Cons

It's a lot of work for a part-time student job. I was working nearly 20 hrs a week all semester while trying to juggle a hard CS semester so I was swamped. But totally worth it!

5. "Senior system software engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Penn Pitt, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Penn Pitt, PA

I have been working at Carnegie Mellon University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Education benefit for employee and children. High percent Employer contribution to retirement plan. Friendly work environment.

Cons

salary raise is slow than company

"Full Time Staff Member"

I have been working at Carnegie Mellon University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, casual environment, being on a college campus, working with unique people. Pittsburgh is awesome. Although there often isn't a clear career advancement path for staff, there is a decent amount of opportunity for moving between departments and divisions. CMU has lots of exciting and innovative research going on.

Cons

Pay can be lower than other organizations in the area, but is competitive for higher ed. No maternity/paternity leave. (Part time disability and FMLA for birth mother) Administrative and support areas can be slow to adjust to change. Campus is decentralized, so there is no university-wide performance management process, or compensation model, or annual review process. So there tends to be inequity in pay and rewards across campus. Additionally, there is little recourse/accountability for supervisor fairness/ethics. I think most management level staff are fair and ethical, but the few who are not get away with anything. Anything legal, anyway. Also, probably standard in higher ed, but faculty get way better benefits than staff.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I think its a great place to work, and I really love my work. I just wish there was some ethical accountability for management.

Although there are plenty of great managers, myself and colleagues have reported to supervisors who create a toxic work environment by blatant favortism, bullying, completely unfair performance reviews, promoting staff based on personal loyalty rather than performance, etc. And there seems to be no recourse other than to just leave the position. I fear they are losing good talent because of this.

7. "Good place to learn"

Former Employee - Master Student in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Master Student in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Carnegie Mellon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The structure of the coursework is great and efficient. The content of the course is practical and close to the industry, so I learned a lot about the technology applied in practice. The culture of CMU is just like its motto, my heart is in the work, so you will have a lot of hardworking classmates. It's a great experience to learn in CMU.

Cons

The work load in CMU is large. Since all the students are the top students in their previous school before CMU, there is a lot of peer pressure. Almost all the courses have a considerable large amount of homework. Therefore, it is essential to learn how to deal with pressure in CMU.

Advice to Management

It's better to pay more attention on the psychologic status of students. I knew some people who can not deal with stress that well. I tried to help them, but it's not efficient. I do think CMU should provide more policy to help student to deal with stress.

"Flexible but Little Growth Opportunity"

Current Employee - Manager, Director's Office in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager, Director's Office in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Carnegie Mellon University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at a university give some more flexibility than a corporate job may. They started implementing the ability to work from home one day a week which was a nice perk.

Cons

Processes can be slow and cumbersome. There isn't a lot of opportunity for growth and advancement.

9. "Work Environment"

Former Employee - Research Assistant, Institute for Social Innovation in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Carnegie Mellon University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Creativity, Inspiring, Fun, Cross-sectoral learning, Tech-Impact

Cons

Low pay, silos within departments

10. "Great support for management"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Carnegie Mellon University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with intelligent, dedicated people that embrace differences make for a fun and liberal environment. Wonderful work-life balance beliefs. I feel very empowered by management in the form of cutting edge technology, continuous learning, and a true interest from my superiors in my personal growth.

Cons

Departments are silo'd and some people refuse to change, knocking down ideas that may cause them to take any kind of forward-moving action despite the university itself being a hub of technology and progress.