Carney Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Carney

Pros
Cons
  • Most people complain about the company on a daily basis- low morale (in 4 reviews)

• Upper, upper management is divided between Carney, Inc (in 4 reviews)

"Instructional Designer"

Former Employee - Performance Solutions Designer in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Performance Solutions Designer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Carney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hire the best. My coworkers were top-notch and I miss working with them.
    Though they are a government contractor, you are hired as an employee and not to a specific contract. That means if the contract goes away you aren't necessarily out of a job and they do their best to keep their people.
    Some senior and middle management were great.

Cons

The lack of breadth and depth of the contracts they had combined with government cuts meant that even though they tried to keep people employed, they were facing the hard task of letting people go. They were working to rectify this and I believe they'll get it balanced.
    I didn't see much in the way of opportunities for career advancement.
    Some senior and middle management weren't so great.

Advice to Management

It's less about company events and more about quality of life and benefits that affect the employees on a day-to-day basis; a break/lunch room would've been great. Also consider grouping people by work-style preference so the folks who prefer a really quiet work space are together and out of the fray of collaboration.

"Don't go there"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Department in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Department in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Carney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None! Management fails to provide a positive, professional working environment.

Cons

No direction from management. No incentives. Low morale. Does not listen to nor consider the professional input from front line personnel. Too many lies to employees. Every level of management is inept and inexperienced which leads to high employee turnover and bad reviews...need I say more!

Advice to Management

Keep your promises to employees. Provide incentives. Give pay raises. Listen to your employees. Recognize employees and stop using autocratic leaders. John Carney needs to lead instead of traveling the world because his world is crumbling beneath his feet.

Carney Response

Feb 16, 2017 – Chief Culture and Talent Officer

We routinely provide raises and bonuses as part of our compensation culture of rewarding results and recognizing effort. This doesn't mean everyone receives a bonus or raise every year, but we do ... More

"Really? Not at all what I thought it would be!"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Carney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interview process and recruitment was straight forward with no bells or whistles. They get right to it!

Cons

Each day is draining, empty and basically smoking mirrors!

Advice to Management

This is a company that only a short few have tenure. The first tworld months of the year, 6 people resigned! Some without a new job secured! People don't leave companies, they "poor leadership!"

"Think "Growth Opportunity""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Good employee support/training opportunities. Carney lets you present creative ideas and then examine whether they'll fit in the project's budget.

Cons

It used to be that you wished management would bring you to the table. There's been a complete turnaround in the last year --- management actually seeks out your opinions.

Advice to Management

Continue being open and honest with the employees.

6. "Good company, great people, headed for a bright future"

Former Employee - Instructional Design in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Instructional Design in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Carney full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Carney is a good place to work. It may not have everything people want, but no place does. It gets busy and hectic sometimes, but most of us worked about 40 hours each week. The people in general care a ton about the clients and each other. Most of management does as well. Management is generally personable and they care, they are just busy. They have some atypical benefits: money to take any course you want, pay registration fees for races. They also offer $5k for tuition each year and they have most of the standard benefits. The CEO is approachable. He is involved in a lot of things, so don't expect him to hover and be deeply involved (unless he sees a problem). He wants people that are independent and driven so if you aren't then you won't like Carney.

Cons

They charge a lot for insurance. They are way above what other companies charge. They don't like telework. They have some employees that do, usually longer-term employees but they discourage it and aren't setup for it.They need more client diversity and to spend more money on professional development and reward programs.

Advice to Management

Slow down in some areas and focus. Loosen up a bit. Take time to work with individuals as individuals.

"COO"

Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Carney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Owner/CEO that truly cares about every employees career. Also truly wants "Good Government". I haven't received this much mentoring and constructive feedback since I was in the Marine Corps. A Management team that last year had to make difficult decisions as a result of a decrease in federal contracting dollars. The results to date have been outstanding. Significant growth but unlike in past we are not compromising standards to hire people quickly. We not only make sure the skills match but also make sure the chemistry is there. An outstanding workforce that puts in the time and effort to meet deadlines while exceeding customer expectations. Lots of team players that step in for each other to help out.

Cons

Not really a Con but challenges working at Carney are you have to be selfless. You need to seek to understand before jumping to conclusions.

Advice to Management

Let's keep doing what we are doing only more of it.

"Decent Place"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Carney full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to work on some interesting projects with some really great people. We got really positive feedback from our clients, which was nice. I was proud to show people the products that we developed. I had worked at a couple other similar companies, and their products lacked the artistry and polish that Carney products displayed. The CEO was generous and threw great parties.

Cons

The company got really good at making one particular type of product. They seemed uneasy about venturing into new technical spaces or trying new ideas.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your talented employees through professional development programs. Don't be afraid to try new methods of development and technologies! Be more transparent.

"Great long-term experience"

Former Employee - DA4 in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - DA4 in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Carney full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees are of high caliber that all worked hard to produce high quality knowledge solutions. Good growth potential with managers that also serve as mentors. It's a great place for those willing to seek out opportunities within the company. Benefits are fair an promotion comes to those willing to work hard and expand their influence within the company. PTO is fair and you receive and extra day for every year there. Management invests in the employees through classes such as Franklin Covey and Dale Carnegie.

Cons

Personally, I would have rather worked longer work weeks than the company hiring more people. A more thorough interview process could have eliminated less professional, skilled employees.

Advice to Management

Carney, Inc is a fantastic place to work. John Carney has a eye on the future and invests in bringing new technologies to the Gov't. I hope the management keeps up at producing high-quality knowledge solutions!

"Lacking Everything!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Carney full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is an elevator in the building

Cons

Working at Carney is like a bad High School memory full of uncertainty, immature behavior, distrust, and lack of respect for team members. You will be reminded constantly that everyone at Carney has an expiration date so the incentive to perform meaningful work and best practices is clouded at best. This is reinforced by the constant layoffs and riffs that typically are not justified. It is management's kneejerk reaction to never being able to complete a project on time or within budget and looking for a scapegoat. Perhaps if they sought the advice of their Program/Client Managers and technical staff when pursuing the work then they would have some success or if they joined this century and stopped forcing antiquated carney-built software on clients.

The technical staff lacks training and I am sure that a Covey or Dale C. course is not going to provide them those particular skills. They are also given the unfair burden of worrying about how they will come up with their 40 hours - management's job? The functional leads spend more time telling you what you can't do instead of sitting down and actually listening to someone else's opinion. If you are successful at instituting your concept then get your box ready because you will be next on the list. Don't visit HR since it really is a wasted elevator trip and they probably already know and are working on your paperwork.

The open environment (throw back to the 80s) does not work. How can you call that a collaborative environment when all you see are people's backs? Conversations best had behind closed doors are aired routinely.

Advice to Management

Create some company values and practice them. Treat people the way you want to be treated.

"Team Driven and Focus Oriented Industry Leaders"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Carney full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company has an incredibly talented team, that has recently become much closer and stronger and is leading the industry in software training and development. Carney is going in the right direction as far as expanding it's offerings and broadening the types of products that are being developed for our clients.

Carney's leadership and management team provide direction, and guidance to their team members through constant feedback and communication. This approach provides the teams with the path needed to be successful in their position and the organization.

Successful production team members might find themselves in higher demand, with an increased workload and expectations. In this case, you will also find you are well recognized, compensated and rewarded for your contributions.

The company's culture being a smaller company, allows for the opportunity to get to know your co-workers and frequently work with the same teams and team members.

Cons

Carney's benefits package is up to industry standard, however there is always some room for improvement. Improvements could include a health club or gym membership, and lower premiums on medical insurance (although with the new healthcare laws, this may be an unreasonable expectation)

Advice to Management

Keep it up, this team is only going up... Let's keep the momentum going in the right direction!