Carnival Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Micky Arison

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours and too many safety regulations tends to leave employees exhausted and thus results in less productivity at work (in 44 reviews)

• long hours, shared cabin, being away from home for 6month contacts (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company, with excellent leadership"

Former Employee - Operations in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Operations in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, Work environment and growth potential. world wide expansion will allow the company to meet ROIC goals demanded by investors which results in opportunity for ambitious employees

Cons

pay for performance ethos which is not always under your control. Working in Doral and it's traffic. Long hours

"fair, but not for experienced workers with higher education degrees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

_cruise discounts
    _paid time off and sick time after 90 days
    _health insurance

Cons

_ poor management
    _unrealistic rules about phone manner and time allowed off the phone in between calls
    _treat employees unfairly

Advice to Management

Treat your phone operators in the call center with more respect for what they do- they are the point of contact for Carnival and Guests.

"Fun might be what the Carnival sells but not what Carnival practices"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Benefits are getting better, although they lag way behind the competition and most other established organizations.
    Stock purchase plan at a discount.

Cons

There is a vast disconnect between line employees and management. There is a tremendous amount of entitlement amongst management.
    Employees are treated as just their payroll number, expendable at anytime.
    There is very little chance of moving into new positions as Carnival would rather hire from outside rather than foster talent.
    Employee services, HR, is not nonpartisan and seems to be pulled by the strings of senior management.
    Carnival's culture is toxic at best. While Carnival sells fun it does not practice it.

Advice to Management

Communication is key and it is something that the organization lacks. There is also a very deep problem with morale in the organization. Carnival sells fun but it does little to practice this and employees all notice.

5. "Working onboard Carnival Cruise Line"

Current Employee - Steakhouse Server in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Steakhouse Server in Miami, FL

I have been working at Carnival full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The accomadation is good and if you look on the brighter side its good because they offer retirement plan that other company dont give.

Cons

the management onboard are not fair when giving promotion. they are races

Advice to Management

they should look in the experience not looking for people who will open there legs.

"Very dissapointing, after two months of employment I was dissmissed for not meeting management expectations."

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, inhouse daycare, cruise discounts.

Cons

too corporate comunication did not properly executed down the chain of command.

Advice to Management

perks, company car, etc.

"RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!"

Former Employee - Group Sales Agent in Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Group Sales Agent in Doral, FL

I worked at Carnival full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Cruises!! Vacation time is given to you up front it is not accrued, plus 120 hrs of vacation time for new employees!

Cons

They will kidnap you with overtime and if they fire you they will do everything in thier power not to pay you unemployment. Never been in a company so cheap in my life. They wont even purchase pens and paper to provide to you during training. Also the pay sucks and the customers are rude and nasty. If they paid a more decent salary that was above the poverty level then I wouldn't complain, but $12.35 an hour for the amount of abuse you get from customers is ridiculous. By the way this place is notorious for employees fainting on the job and being wheeled out of the call center due to the stress they get over the phone. Seen it happen many times with my own two eyes. Plus they want you to sell your butt off and they don't even pay commision! I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

You know what kind of abuse the call center employees are taking over the phone so pay them a decent salary or an extremely liberal commision package to keep them motivated and attentive.

8. "horrible"

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst Tier II
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst Tier II

I worked at Carnival full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the dress code. there is no dress code

Cons

everything else is a con. they don't treat you very unfair and you don't feel like your a part of the team. was there for 7 years and every year got worse.

Advice to Management

even if its a call center you have to lee the employees happy. you guys think that everyone was happy. everyone was miserable and they all wanted to tell management but they all need there jobs.

9. "Horrible, unprofessional, and trashy company to work for."

Former Employee - Entertainment in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Entertainment in Mobile, AL

I worked at Carnival full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free room and board, free food, and getting to travel a small bit ( what you see of it ).

Cons

No training to speak of, bad, sometimes rotten food was served to crew members, unprofessional management especially directors, poor pay, bad technology that needs to be updated, horrible activities

Advice to Management

Train your employees better before you discipline them for things they weren't even trained in. Less heresay, more action. Less favoritism. Teach your employees, they want to learn. Heavy handed is not the way to run a ship.

"Used to be a great place..."

Former Employee - Phone Agent in Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Phone Agent in Doral, FL

I worked at Carnival full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people you're surrounded by on a daily basis make the place bearable at least. Cruise benefits are also a plus...

Cons

Lack of communication. Management stinks. No room for growth. You're not valued as a human being. You're just a number to them.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Actually LISTEN and do something about the unhappiness and stagnant environment.

"Wish I could have those work years of my life back"

Pros

I learned how to have no sympathy for customer concerns. How the bottom line is the only item looked at when making decisions. How critical parts of the customer experience were constantly reduced, retracted, or made more expensive in order to increase EPS.

Struggling to find any other "Pros" at working here.

Cons

Working at Carnival is one of the worst experiences of my life. Mainly because of the long hours and the unethical practices. There were so many 3rd party contractors we used to avoid paying people liveable wages on our cruise ships. This contributed immensely to the profitability of the current generation of vessels out on the waters today. Management worked us to do death, to squeeze out a every cent of profit out of our business cases.

The vacation policy was so substandard compared to other employers. We were not allowed to use our 2 weeks of vacation. You were lucky if you got to use 7 days in the years. Oh and they also wouldn't cash out your unused vacation days. Management for some reason always seemed to have an antagonistic attitude toward the employees. Requests for days off had to be made 1 month in advance. Sick days were frowned upon, and bosses would overload you if you were sick or unable to come in to the office.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like the way you would want to be treated. If you don't, how do you expect to retain employees?