Carnival "cruise" Reviews | Glassdoor

Carnival Employee Reviews about "cruise"

Updated Sep 10, 2019

3.9
Carnival CEO Micky Arison (no image)
Micky Arison
Pros
  • "traveling around the world, and good benefits(in 45 reviews)

• "it offers great benefits package(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours talking on the phone(in 96 reviews)

• "Worst salaries of any cruise line(in 38 reviews)

Reviews about "cruise"

Return to all Reviews

"Casino Host"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Carnival full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Best job to work on Cruise ship and explore the world

Cons

Missing family and its difficult life to stay onboard cruise lines

Advice to Management

I am in USA in Houston TX currently with my And looking for a job to start new career.

Carnival2016-06-09
  2. "Great place to work"

Former Contractor - Fleet Shore Excursion Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival for more than 10 years

Pros

Room for growth, good benefits, friendly co-workers, many development avenues

Cons

The company follows the cruise ship principle, i.e. it has a very solid hierarchy from bottom to top.

Carnival2019-09-11
  3. "Guest Services"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Carnival for more than 3 years

Pros

Carnival makes fun environment for crew members to work.

Cons

Long working hours but it's same in any cruise industry.

Carnival2017-08-12

"Great culture, management is amazing. The pay not worth all the hours."

I worked at Carnival full-time for more than a year

Pros

good benefits, discounts in cruises, Empire team has the best management in the building. Fun place, great environment.

Cons

Although you can make great money, once you averaged your incentives by the amount of hours worked, it's really not that great. I was an above average PVP, and had to work very long hours to make a great paycheck. Sometimes around 70-80 hours per week. Fee cruises they give the employees are almost impossible to get, I was there for 2 years and applied several times and I was never able to get on-board.

Advice to Management

If the 2 cruises per year you offer the employees were guaranteed and it wasn't almost impossible to get, I would've probably stayed, the process is ridiculous and frustrating.

Carnival2017-08-01

"Personal Vacation Planner"

Former Employee - Vacation Planner in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Carnival full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great money if you work 60 plus hours a week.

Cons

Management within the Carnival structure watch out for themselves and don't particularly care about you except to boost their own pay structure. The more cruises you sell, the more they make. NO LIFE outside of work. 60 plus hours a week (Not paid for OT hours and hourly wage is minimum wage) is required if you want to make a decent commission. During wave season count on 70 plus hours a week. If you're a newer PVP,... you work your butt off while the old timers rake in the commissions, the better leads. Out of my incoming classes 4 yrs ago, only 7 people remain. Management has ice in their veins. They DO NOT CARE whatsoever about you, unless you're in their circle.

Advice to Management

Give a damn about your employees who are start ups. Try actually recognizing their accomplishments. Actually care what happens to them.

Carnival2017-06-28
  6. "Financial analyst"

I worked at Carnival

Pros

Great benefits and company perks

Cons

Don't count on ever getting a free cruise

Advice to Management

Don't wait to show your appreciation for employees until they leave. A thank you can go way further then you think!

Carnival2017-04-30

"Personal Vacation Planner"

Former Employee - Personal Vacation Planner in Miramar, FL

I worked at Carnival full-time for less than a year

Pros

Office is beautiful. Management is available and helpful.

Cons

Schedule was 10:50am to 7:00pm. So it was hard to get things done before or after work. It was personally hard for me to get passionate about selling cruises but that is a personal feeling.

Advice to Management

Don't follow people to the door if they're leaving after an eight hour shift and making 120 phone calls... It gets tiresome and very demotivating to be told that if you leave after working full time you're not working enough.

Carnival2017-04-11

"Entertainment Staff"

E-Staff in Port Canaveral, FL

I worked at Carnival for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities to travel to new places, immerse yourself in different cultures, entertain and work with people from all over the world.

Cons

Constant drama aboard a ship, no respect from certain cruise directors. CD only looking about his ratings and not motivating team or appreciating moving our ranks up from last to top 5. Always about company politics and not about learning and getting training for growth within the company,

Advice to Management

Don't let the CD's run over the staff. Hire good cruise directors and other management staff based on talent and ability not some guy who is your buddy that is completely incompetent in people management and mentoring. Hire outside the company, look for good talent elsewhere, there are plenty of cruise lines to recruit from, that's only if your willing to pay your staff more. Don't hire leadership that is... self-absorbed and only worried about how he looks and how much money he makes. This is for people in the office regardless of your department. Go on a ship any ship, don't let anyone know who you are and look at the faces of the crew and staff, look and see how miserable they are. It's on their faces. Then figure out something that will improve the moral and overall happiness instead of the bullcrap you put out there like Carnival Cares, Being Commited, and Welcome home. Home is living in a space no bigger than a jail cell, sentenced to more than 70 hours of hard work without any appreciation. My first contract was great I extended it to 8 months living on a ship, my second contract was absolute hell and everyone who I know that still works for the company says that ship is cursed you feel the misery and unhappiness the minute you step onboard your "new home" for the next 6 months. Take of the crew as you would a guest and maybe they would stop leaving the company for your competitors who pay more and care about their crew.

Carnival2016-07-30

"Cruise vacation specialist, miserable job."

Former Employee - Cruise Vacation Specialist in Miramar, FL

I worked at Carnival full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Promise for travel and stock options but stock goes down and free travel is impossible to get

Cons

Answer calls all day every day, carnival has raised their prices so customers cruise with other cruise lines which gives them free perks. Supervisors play candy crash and keep their favorite agents off the phone to help them do better on score cards. Managers and director are practically not doing anything all day long. Talking about workouts and diet... they have lots of time to spare. If a high ranking manager... sees what is going on many will loose their jobs.

Advice to Management

Come visit and speak to the miserable agents.

Carnival2016-08-05
  10. "Excellent job for Entertainment Staff!!!"

Former Employee - Entertainment in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Enjoyed working with people from all over the world! - Trivia, stage performance, and deck parties are just some of the fun activities with the Guests!! - Freedom to create custom trivia provided the approval of the cruise staff. - Excellent rotation system where everybody gets time to enjoy the ports-of-call. - Detailed training.

Cons

- Needs to have better communication from assistant cruise director to the staff. - Be prepared to pack motion sickness items. - Can be a bit cliquey, try to be as outgoing as possible.

Advice to Management

Overall, what an awesome experience! Better communication helps.

Carnival2016-06-01