Carolina Handling Field Service Technician Reviews | Glassdoor

Carolina Handling Field Service Technician Reviews

Updated Aug 14, 2018

4.1
Carolina Handling CEO Dave Reder (no image)
Dave Reder

"Field service technician"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time for less than a year

Pros

The family environment and general good vibes put forth by the entire crew at Carolina Handling was a breath of fresh air. My extensive experience in the automotive industry had bittered me towards the public as a whole. My experience thus far has really restored my faith in humanity and more importantly myself. Thanks to all the folks at Carolina Handling for making me feel like part of the family right out of the gate.

Cons

The sheer size of the company and volume of information to take in from day one has been quite a bit of an adjustment. Especially coming from the small business sector.

Advice to Management

Keep up the outstanding work!

Carolina Handling2018-08-14

"Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work, they honestly try to make sure the employees are taken care of. I transitioned from the military and have had a good experience so far. As a service technician you are givin alot of freedom throughout the day and you are givin a lot of trust. Good job security as fork lifts are necessary for companys to run. As a technician you can work as many hours of overtime as you would like and there is a close knit between the teams you work in.

Cons

Biggest complaint is you work long hours unexpectedly, and dont expect any snow days. With the freedom comes the few employees that abuse it. A few of the median section leadership are greedy.

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of your employees and they will take care of you

Carolina Handling2018-04-11

"Service tech"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time for more than a year

Pros

There trucks are very well set up when you hire on. Best I have ever seen.

Cons

You will spend most of your time doing silly computer work on those stupid iPad things. I had 20 years plus in service and it didn't take me long to see the clear picture. The techs have to make numbers up to match there time. At the end of the day you spend much more time having to lie on paperwork to get your hours. Wich is basically stealing. And yes all the techs I worked with did it. The amount of pencil pushing you spend you could rebuild the forklift. So my advise is stay away if you enjoy honest hard work but if you like playing around on an iPad all day go for it. And I would NEVER allow them to service any of my equipment.

Advice to Management

Throw the stupid game pads in the garbage and allow your techs to earn there livin honestly. Stop forcing your service techs to have to lie on paperwork to fead there family's. But my advise to your company is to just keep doing what your doing and go bankrupt so an honest company can take over.

Carolina Handling2017-12-01

"Carolina Handling"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture of my company is second to none! Everybody is here helping each other!! It's crazy how much Carolina Handling invest in us techs!!

Cons

I can't think of any cons!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Carolina Handling2017-06-07

"Field Service Technician"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Carolina Handling does an excellent job at bringing in good people. The introduction to the vision, company culture, and the expectations is what every company should do. Health and dental benefits are pretty good, and the 401k is great. You're constantly challenged to push yourself and your teammates, which allows for tons of personal growth. There is a lot of autonomy given to associates to do their jobs and to be creative.

Cons

The company has grown tremendously, as well as the workload. At times, the "Big Picture" gets to be too big of a priority at the middle management level, and interferes with the responsibility of satisfying customer requests. There is a constant stream of changes in our processes that are meant to to help, but often become hindrances, and are almost always worked around. Despite having great financial performances year after year, good performing associates pay increases do not stack up. Competitors are regularly offering 20% more in pay for associates to leave Carolina Handling. The communication gap between management and employees grows everyday.

Advice to Management

Lead. Listen. Value the input and time of the associates who perform the processes and tasks everyday. The Big Picture should be a beacon we see from afar. It should never interfere with the daily excellence required to exceed the expectations of our customers, and our associates. 2% annual increases do not satisfy the associate who performs well and cares about the continued success of the company. Close the gap of compensation offered by your competitors. Whether it's through truly competitive salary increases, or performance based bonuses; a financial commitment must be made to the associates who commit themselves to your cause everyday.

Carolina Handling2017-04-05

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They really take care of all your needs and allow professional growth. Unlimited hours if hourly. Office positions may get stuffy

Cons

If you stay away from the office politics and the usual office drama (not much of it here though) - you will be in good shape

Advice to Management

none

Carolina Handling2016-12-29

"Great company to work for, with good benefits and pay."

Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the top, if not the top company to work for in the industry. They strive to be the best and provide their employees the tools and training to be the best. If you want to be successful this is the place to work.

Cons

Pay somewhat below the industry but they make up for that in other ways

Carolina Handling2016-01-24
  8. "great company"

Field Service Technician

I worked at Carolina Handling

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

None at this current moment

Carolina Handling2016-01-14

"They ask a lot, but they take care of their employees..."

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Greenville, SC

I worked at Carolina Handling full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fair compensation, above average benefits. Extensive training program. Perks beyond wages and benefits.

Cons

Administrative paperwork system archaic.

Advice to Management

Update to this century and move to an internet or WLAN system of handling administrative paperwork.

Carolina Handling2015-01-19

"Good job but not a career"

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Carolina Handling full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great coworkers, high accountability keeps production levels high a corrects mistakes before they get out of hand. Pay is good, Team system and territory works well. Company van & special tools. Work from home, flexible hours, good training.

Cons

Customer Service Reps. (CSR's) take it in the shorts. Too broad of territory. Unable to stay on top of customer issues until it's too late. Field Service Tech's are expected to be Techs, Salesmen, Complaint Department, CSR, Numbers Chasers and still fix the forklifts.

Advice to Management

Implement a "SOP" Standard Operating Plan and stick to it. Don't talk out of both sides of mouth, be honest about the numbers, allow the employee to score high on their reviews. Give quarterly bonuses instead of letting the teams bust their but for 12 months and because goals weren't met in one quarter they get nothing.

Carolina Handling2014-01-27