Carolina Handling Reviews

Updated May 20, 2020

3.1
Carolina Handling President and CEO Brent Hillabrand (no image)
Brent Hillabrand
1 Rating
Pros
  • "It's a great company to work for(in 5 reviews)

• "Carolina Handling does an excellent job at bringing in good people(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you're employed at this company, you'll soon realize that the upper management only cares if you're in Sales or Service(in 6 reviews)

• "The amount of pencil pushing you spend you could rebuild the forklift(in 3 reviews)

1. "Interview"

5.0
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

I worked at Carolina Handling full-time for less than a year

Pros

Schedule management was the best

Cons

Not home a lot, pay was ok

"Great group of guys."

Former Employee - Rental Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Carolina Handling part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, spend a lot of money on food for employees.

Cons

Don’t ask for a raise or they will say your position is eliminated. Managers have no clue.

"Buyer Beware"

1.0
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Carolina Handling full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule and ability to gain weight with all the meals

Cons

Hostile work environment and unfair employment practices

Continue reading

"Forklift tech fo carolina handling"

4.0
    Current Employee - Forklift Mechanic in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company, Great benefits, Great pay, good people to work with, great knowledge gained

Cons

lack of structure, Workload weighs a heavy burden. Tons and tons and tons of information needs to be know with not just fixing the forklift, but how to bill, where to bill, looking up parts, and anything else pertaining to the customers business, essentially your running your own business out of a van for the company.

"A very thin veil"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Carolina Handling full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Profit-sharing plam • 401(k) • Benefits are average

Cons

It's difficult to know where to begin when describing what's not to like about Carolina Handling. Some of the ol' timers talk about a time when the company was family-oriented and really cared about the employees. I never knew that version of the company, but what I experienced in my few years at Carolina Handling speaks to why those days are now a distant memory to all but a few hangers-on. Hiring talented upper management seems to be a huge issue for Carolina Handling. It's really a case of chickens running around with their heads cut off nowadays. Nobody knows what to do to lead, train, or inspire—and there's a palpable "us vs. them" mentality that exists between upper management and "Associates." As is typical, you won't find any big wigs in the office after 3pm on a Friday, but after working with them for any amount of time, you'll just be happy they decided to skip out after lunch on a random Tuesday, which isn't uncommon. There's a ton of fake smiles and catered lunches, if you like that sort of thing. But any chance for real advancement rests with how well you fit in with the near literal boys club that exists at Carolina Handling. As for the rest of people at CHL (the L stands for LLC), they're worked hard, ignored, passed over, and eventually have to move on. Turnover is high and morale is low. After all, how many times can you be spoon fed grape kool aid and told it's wine before you realize what you're drinking? The bottomline is that this company needs a top-down overhaul. Management needs to think outside of the "guy who used to play sports in college" playbook when hiring and promoting.

"Unfortunate Decline"

Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Carolina Handling full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training is top-notch for technicians Great coworker atmosphere

Cons

Overtime expectation Management ignores employees' input Terrible base salary and raises

September 25, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We take your feedback seriously and appreciate the opportunity to work with all Associates to create the best work environment possible. Your feedback is important and we would certainly appreciate the opportunity to learn more about your concerns. You are welcome to contact Company Leadership or any member of the Human Resources Team at 704.357.6273. We look forward to hearing from you.

"Great Culture and Benefits"

4.0
    Former Employee - Parts Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Carolina Handling full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great culture i.e. Company Outings, Fun Events Personal/Vacation time structure Education is covered if it is job related

Cons

Work load at times is far greater than the pay Lack of company wide communication

September 25, 2019

That you for your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us.

"Get with the times"

Current Employee - Associate in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great overall view. Good pay, you have to earn it. Nice people. Flexible with hours and personal time.

Cons

Business systems and technology is outdated, archaic and terrible. 4 different people to accomplish one task. How about an outside developer for the technology issues, let some professionals handle it.

March 7, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on Carolina Handling. Our Associates are the most important part of our business. Pay, benefits, flexibility and a great culture are vital to our Associate’s success. Technology is a key initiative of our ongoing business process. We continue to work to improve in this area. Improved technology and work processes are critical to our business operations. Thank you again for taking time to provide a review.

"N/A"

I worked at Carolina Handling full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is only based off the 2 years out of 3, but I learned so much about the field, especially coming in brand new to the department. I had a great manager who saw the best in me and knew I could grow with the company. The office associates are the nicest and sweetest people.

Cons

Pay could be a lot better at this company. After being here for 3+ years, and only received a total of $1.50 raise is pretty pathetic. This company loves to promise their employees promotions and pay raises, but it's all talk. If you're employed at this company, you'll soon realize that the upper management only cares if you're in Sales or Service. Any other department that works their butts off, receives no credit. Highly recommend not working for this company.

January 8, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us

"Field service technician"

5.0
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time for less than a year

Pros

The family environment and general good vibes put forth by the entire crew at Carolina Handling was a breath of fresh air. My extensive experience in the automotive industry had bittered me towards the public as a whole. My experience thus far has really restored my faith in humanity and more importantly myself. Thanks to all the folks at Carolina Handling for making me feel like part of the family right out of the gate.

Cons

The sheer size of the company and volume of information to take in from day one has been quite a bit of an adjustment. Especially coming from the small business sector.

Found 57 reviews