Carolina Handling Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Dave Reder

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Financially solid company with wonderful Associates and company culture"

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time

Pros

Management cares about their Associates and sees them as customers. Your opinion matters! Great overall compensation - competitive salary with strong 401(k) plan and other benefits package. The company offers growth and promotes from within. Hard work and dedication are appreciated.

Cons

Finding a good work / life balance requires discipline from the Associate. There is a lot of work to do and it is easy to lose yourself if not focused.

Advice to Management

As company continues to grow, don't forget the key values and priorities that made the company successful.

"Better Than Most"

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Carolina Handling employs 500+ people across 5 states in the southeast, and they're growing year after year. Steady growth is good for job security, but it's also created some issues (see below). That said, Carolina is a decent company made up of some really great people. Speed bumps happen, but overall the management team is pretty good at keeping thing humming and in addressing issues as they come up.

Cons

With steady growth comes the need to adapt to new technology and develop better processes. Carolina Handling is a little behind the ball there, but I'd argue that in terms of the industry, and other companies within the field, they're actually at the forefront. Material Handling is an older industry with some painfully manual processes across the board, but Carolina seems to be making moves to improve their outdated tech and streamline workflow. Still miles to go compared to a lot of other industries, but the adoption of TPS/Lean Manufacturing is a big step in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Don't just preach TPS. Live it.

If you don't have the people within the company to lead the charge, look outside and hire based on talent and experience, not just how their personalities gel with management, etc. New blood often breeds new ideas.

Focus on providing a career path for current Associates. Again, don't just talk the talk. Walk the walk. People want a clear picture of what it takes to move up in the company, and how they can accomplish that.

Some people feel overworked and underpaid. A better live/work balance is needed for those in the call centers, and those putting in 45+ hours working on equipment.

3. "Great company for some, not so much for others"

I worked at Carolina Handling full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Carolina Handling does a great job of hiring competent, caring people. Starting pay, benefits (insurance, retirement, etc.) are great, and there are a lot of fringe benefits day to day.

Cons

Administrative and shop personel fall into three categories. Those who will quickly be in a management or sales role, those who will be stuck in their admin role forever, and those who are on their way out. Word of advice to anyone who takes an administrative or shop technician role with Carolina Handling. Push hard for a promotion out of that position. If you don't get one within 1-2 years, seek greener pastures. You are either stuck, or on your way to being run off. Even the reason is there are no open positions available, the net result is the same. Ongoing pay increases are limited as long as you work within the same role. There is pretty much no such thing as market adjustments to an employees pay, even if multiple other employees are brought in afterwards at equal, or higher pay to do the same role.

Advice to Management

Abandon the strict percentage base increase policy. It is detrimental to company moral to hire someone to do the exact same job as a tenured employee, and bring them in at an equal or higher pay rate. When you do so, and at the same time limit the long term employees pay increases to 3%-5% max, you drive low moral and high turnover.

"Once a great company, now going downhill......."

Former Employee - Parts Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Parts Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Carolina Handling full-time

Pros

Not much except for paid holidays and some great employees to work with.

Cons

Everything else is downhill. Once a great company has lost it's vision. If you have no family life this might be for you. Too much to learn and keep up with due to outdated systems/CRM software and management pressure. No fun at work. You can see employees all around stressed out and quite all the time. On top of heavy work load they keep adding more and more. Ultimately the bubble will burst. I have heard of employees quitting without even giving notices due to frustration. You will be there all day. There is so much work that you have to work through your lunch hour just to catch up. Lately in past 3 years the company is experiencing very high turn over and it takes them forever to hire new employees. Pay is okay, nothing great. You could make more money elsewhere with less stress and work load. There is the old boy culture with this company. If you are in it, you get all the perks and benefits in upper management. Rest can just toil for less pay. Look elsewhere, with improving job market you can find something much better.

Advice to Management

Management could care less about what employees think but here is my 2 cents. Don't expect employees to work like robots, we are humans and have limitations. Offer better pay and work schedule like 4 days / 10 hours so we can be with our family. Offer work from home option also. The new younger generation cares about all this. Once all the aged employees working for the company now retire, the new younger crop of employees will not buy into this culture. They don't care much about vision and values of the company. They are not into typical 9 to 5 type of schedule or wanting to spend next 20 plus years with the company. The work/life balance has to be much better.

"Rose colored glasses"

I worked at Carolina Handling full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees. Everyone you work with works hard at their job and wants the best for the company.

Cons

I'm only here because I saw a recent review that listed Carolina Handling as one of the best places to work in NC, based on " previous reviews." I'm not the type to write reviews, but I can't let this one go. Once you get sold on Carolina Handling you won't have enough time to look for another job. The biggest thing I learned at Carolina Handling was how fast a company can fall lose all it's values without strong leadership that actually cares. After Carolina Handling was sold off to Raymond from a private owner, their supposed employee first values quickly disappeared. The sad thing is you have a lot of really good people who care about the company and get caught up in the old culture, failing to realize it's no longer there. This viewpoint allows the company to demand too much from it's employees while offering little in return. They will sell you hard on how much they value employees - but ask the employees how much time they get to spend at home. Ask them what their pay is compared to the rest of the industry. The only thing true I read in the review on Carolina Handling was how they put a lot of effort into training their technicians. If you are a tech considering a job at Carolina Handling, I still would recommend it. Take the job, take your education, and after you put in a year or two, go somewhere else and actually get paid for the work you put in.

Advice to Management

None of your actions back up your words. If you think your employees are blind to this you're mistaken.

"Rental Coordinator - they don't allow for negative star reviews, otherwise this company would get one!"

Former Employee - Rental Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Rental Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Carolina Handling full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k. The 401k plan was very lucrative and extensive. I believe it is still strong and very beneficial to the employees, but not as grand as they say.

Cons

They defiantly talk the talk, BUT do NOT walk the walk.

When I first started, I was sold the culture of the company and how much they invest in the employees giving them room to grow. Unfortunately, this is a culture of the past. Since their acquisition by majority partners, this company is a shell of its former self when it comes to its training, employee relations, and upward mobility for educated and talented individuals.

In the particular role I was in I worked countless hours to keep up with demand of an outside sales force that was given preferential treatment from upper management. Upper managements makes it clear through their actions and words that they completely devalue the employees that are not in sales and work in inside administrative roles. Their systems are so out dated and it puts a strain on those processing orders and actually dealing with customer problems and relations. At one point, due to the companies inability to hire talent and/or refusal to increase their staff, I worked 70-90 hours per week to keep up with the demanding sales team and process orders. I was then questioned on my time spent to keep the department afloat and asked why I was working so much overtime. To upper managements own admission, there should have been 3-4 associates working in my role at the time. I was the only one still employed in the department at the time! Not due to firings or layoffs, but due to the fact that this company overworks the associates and puts so much stress and creates a demanding culture that employees left in droves! They cannot keep employees that are talented in positions of need because of their severe mismanagement and overworking of its employees.

There is a serious "boys clique" at Carolina Handling and if you are not in that club, mainly sales roles, you are not going to be promoted at all! It's almost as if the clique treats themselves as a private fraternity and will tell you till their blue in the face that hard work, dedication, intellect, and growth is what will allow you to climb the corporate latter at Carolina Handling. Unfortunately, being an incompetent salesmen with an affinity for golf, getting drunk, and strip clubs is what gets you ahead. You could always choose to suck up to upper management and feed their irrational egos. If your in a sales, role or interviewing for one, you have a golden road to act completely incompetent even while giving away company profits to win a deal and putting the onus on inside positions to deliver to customers on unrealistic promises.

At best, Carolina Handling is a company in steep decline and living off past reputations. At its worst, it severally struggles to keep up with quality while alienating its employees, customers, culture, and core values that they preach in an interview are still in place.

I was ready to give my heart and sole to this company, but they continuously let me down time after time.

Please be aware of this company's change in morals and values when interviewing. They will tell you that they are the best and you will end your career there. If you are going out for sales and given a sales territory because your an ex frat boy that didn't graduate, you will love your job. If you apply for anything else besides sales, good luck to you and your sanity if you decide to work there. I highly recommend you reconsider because you will hate yourself within the first four months after that romance period wears off!

Upper management and sales are more concerned about overworking you and playing golf more than anything else!

The worst part is, they are not even in the top five of forklift providers in quality and ease of doing business!

God bless anyone who is still working there or who is considering working there!

There is not enough time in the day to speak on how mismanaged this company is!

Do yourself and your family a favor and STAY away!

Advice to Management

Start practicing what you preach and treating employees how you promised you would treat them in the interview process!

You could have had an employee for life, but your mishandling of every possible situation left me no choice but to change careers!

Good luck and God speed!

"Carolina Handling"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Gainesville, GA
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture of my company is second to none! Everybody is here helping each other!! It's crazy how much Carolina Handling invest in us techs!!

Cons

I can't think of any cons!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Field Tech"

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time

Pros

Great company that cares about their employees and has high expectations that there employees must achieve

Cons

High expectations to work high hours. Not much of a con really

"They talk the talk, but don't walk the walk"

I worked at Carolina Handling full-time

Pros

When you start at this company they really lay it on thick how great it is to work for them. They attempt to live up to it all to a certain degree but it almost feels like a forced company culture. The company has good benefits and tries to take care of employees to an extent. They are growing which is a good in theory.

Cons

Company culture felt almost manufactured or fake in away. Heavy screening of new hires gives the office a sense of robot personalities to a degree. Everyone is told how Carolina Handling is the best, but every company says they're the best. They are hell bent on exponentially growing the company yet their methods, procedures, and technology are archaic at best. This causes employees to be further and further bogged down with administrative tasks. One being their obsession with submitting Help Desk tickets for everything. There have been shakeups in upper management and now finger pointing is coming from the top. Very convoluted messages from management. "Ask lots of questions" vs "We're letting you go because you're still asking questions". I believe HR is writing a lot of reviews on here to make themselves look like all stars. Hourly position's pay are posted as flat salaries on here (red flag).

Advice to Management

Coming from a much larger company which grew exponentially from massive acquisitions and growth I can say playing the blame game internally will get you no where. You need to make a massive investment in technology that should have been implemented yesterday. You can't be perfect especially when you grow rapidly. Mistakes will happen. Nobody is perfect and they don't learn at the same pace!

"Field Service Technician"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Carolina Handling full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Carolina Handling does an excellent job at bringing in good people. The introduction to the vision, company culture, and the expectations is what every company should do. Health and dental benefits are pretty good, and the 401k is great. You're constantly challenged to push yourself and your teammates, which allows for tons of personal growth. There is a lot of autonomy given to associates to do their jobs and to be creative.

Cons

The company has grown tremendously, as well as the workload. At times, the "Big Picture" gets to be too big of a priority at the middle management level, and interferes with the responsibility of satisfying customer requests. There is a constant stream of changes in our processes that are meant to to help, but often become hindrances, and are almost always worked around. Despite having great financial performances year after year, good performing associates pay increases do not stack up. Competitors are regularly offering 20% more in pay for associates to leave Carolina Handling. The communication gap between management and employees grows everyday.

Advice to Management

Lead. Listen. Value the input and time of the associates who perform the processes and tasks everyday. The Big Picture should be a beacon we see from afar. It should never interfere with the daily excellence required to exceed the expectations of our customers, and our associates. 2% annual increases do not satisfy the associate who performs well and cares about the continued success of the company. Close the gap of compensation offered by your competitors. Whether it's through truly competitive salary increases, or performance based bonuses; a financial commitment must be made to the associates who commit themselves to your cause everyday.