Carollo Engineers "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Carollo Engineers Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 11 Mar 2017

4.0
Carollo Engineers CEO B. Narayanan (no image)
B. Narayanan
Pros
  • "There is a great company atmosphere, you really do feel like you are apart of a family and the company cares for you(in 7 reviews)

• "Focus and passion directed exclusively toward water and collegial culture creates a great work environment(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "The upper management structure is opaque to lower levels(in 4 reviews)

• "Company is growing and seems as though management is working hard to keep ahead of the growing pains(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"The BEST water consulting firm in the industry"

Current Employee - Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Carollo Engineers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging, interesting work, smart people, flexibility to work on what you're interested. Flexible work schedules available. Growing business with locations across the US

Cons

The upper management structure is opaque to lower levels. Seen as a glass ceiling to most. There is a feeling that the fortunes of the company heavily favor the top levels

Advice to Management

Publish the pathway to ownership group. Pay employees the BEST in the industry

Carollo Engineers2016-01-18

"Great to move up but once you have beware!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Carollo Engineers full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great place to learn and move up the chain.

Cons

Once you move up the workload increases immensely, and the support from upper management disappears.

Advice to Management

Work on providing the people that do the work resources to become less stressed. Sometimes throwing people at the problem doesn't help, more times than not the authority to say no will be something that should needed.

Carollo Engineers2017-03-11

"Issues."

I worked at Carollo Engineers

Pros

Many great employees. Decent benefits.

Cons

Non-engineering middle managers who have no business managing people haven't a clue what they're doing. Rude behavior by upper management/partners is tolerated. Arrogant partners who don't give you the time of day. Don't expect to be compensated for a job well done. The only way to get a decent salary increase is to beg or threaten to leave. Lip service and empty promises.

Advice to Management

Deal with issues concerning non-engineers. Don't keep looking the other way. Work on employee retention. People are still leaving, folks.

Carollo Engineers2016-04-15

"Carollo staff have technical excellence, integrity towards the client, innovation and have been great to work with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Carollo Engineers full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are some wonderful people I get to work with every day. This may not sound like its as important as career growth, compensation etc etc. But it makes a huge difference who you spend 2,000+ hours a year with. Carollo is strange in that each office has a different culture. Some of the offices couldn't be further apart. The Denver office is a great place to work. Work life balance can be achieved with some... pushing back on upper management and proper work load planning. Technical excellence is at the heart of almost every project we do. Teamwork in Carollo is very successful across numerous offices. Generally people are very polite helpful and responsive.

Cons

Once you get to a certain point in your career in this there is a glass ceiling. If you aren't in the right "technical area" you will not get opportunities to lead projects or teams. PM's, office managers, client service managers almost all leadership is in the hands of process/environmental engineers. Not surprising given the focus of the company and great if you happen to be one. But if you aren't, it is extremely... limiting to your career development. The same can be said for allocation of training resources etc. The attitude of management is that everyone but process is just a cost to the business that needs to be minimized. What they fail to realize is the value and expertise they have in those "support" group and how much more they could contribute to the company if they were run as business units and not as a function the business utilities. The company was reorganized a few years back in an attempt to create more opportunity than was available in the partner model. This was a a complete con. Just added more level of VP's, associates. Titles were handed out left and right that supposedly denote your level of authority. The decision making authority part was true, but most of these mid level managers VP's and associates are working ridiculous hours trying to get ahead and break through into the upper management. Upper management hasn't changed. There is still very little opportunity for advancement. The old partner group is still reaping the benefits of everyone's work. Bonuses and pay raises are pathetic, yet old " partners" are doing very well financially. What is really annoying is some of them don't even work particularly hard these days. Those individuals are milking the firm and waiting for retirement. The company management is extremely tight lipped about finances and distribution of earnings. But you don't have to look to hard before you figure out where all the profits are going. They do not reward hard work or personal growth in a meaningful way here. I plan on taking an opportunity elsewhere in the coming months.

Advice to Management

Don't be greedy, share the wealth!! We have more than recovered from our downturn yet pay raises are 2-3% Wonder why we are having employee retention issues and can't find new hires. We are below the market rate.Try to look at the value an individual brings to the firm. Don't hide their value from them, reward it. Numerous designers and junior engineers are paid well below their worth to us. Some joined before the... recession and saw pay raises below inflation for several years. Now they are PE's and our competitors value them more than we do. Most of the mid level management I deal with seem over whelmed and over worked and are giving up hope that their sacrifice for your personal gain will ever be worth it. Look around the company a assess the skills you have and those you don't. Business management is a huge whole. Few in top management have any big picture business skills. Wonder why we can't compete for the really big job our competitors keep winning. We don't have the right business skills.

Carollo Engineers2014-09-18