Carphone Warehouse Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Carphone Warehouse Deputy Group CEO Andrew Harrison
Andrew Harrison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is very difficult with the lack of staff most stores suffer from and zero understanding from managers (in 10 reviews)

• Can give you long hours around peak times (in 15 reviews)

1. "Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility on the job being at university was good

Cons

Pay was low and didn't receive a pay rise in the three years I was there. Bonus scheme isn't good enough, they've done well with not paying out much in bonuses!

Advice to Management

When's the next pay rise for your consultants?....

2. "Part-time at Carphone Warehouse"

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Darlington, North East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff. You do get rude customers at times as you can expect in any retail job but that's balanced out by the satisfaction you get from knowing you've helped someone. Definitely the best job I've had so far.

Cons

I work inside a PC World and you're expected to get 25% of your sales from the shop floor which I personally feel is unrealistic. I feel like I'm annoying customers more than helping them.

Advice to Management

Management have targets to meet but I don't agree with them asking staff to parole the store trying to find deals. If customers come to the Carphone Warehouse section or I can see them looking for help then fair enough, otherwise I think let them be.

3. "Customer Consultant"

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The main pros of working at Carphone Warehouse is the staff discount on phones. You can get a really good deal on contracts. Alternative it’s a client facing role and you meet a number of people which is fun and interesting.

Cons

Some days you are not busy but you are still expected to perform with no customers in store. If you don’t hit your targets you get informal discussions and disciplinary proceedings against you.

"Joke"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Barnet, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Barnet, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse part-time

Pros

30% discount on phone contracts.

Cons

They will throw you under the bus at any moment. In the time I’ve been working here I’ve seen a lot of colleagues come and go, including managers. The company simply puts too much pressure on sales to make up for their own short comings. The biggest target to hit is selling broadband yet 99% of customers come in to buy a phone, so why does the company think it’s acceptable to be focusing on it so much. I think it’s because in the near future the network operators will stop dealing with carphone so they will need something to fall back on.

Advice to Management

Actively help struggling employees rather than having a constant turnover of inexperienced staff.

5. "Customer Consultant"

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in York, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Consultant in York, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours
    Good atmosphere

Cons

many of benefits being cut off
    More targets to achieve 100% retention of commission
    Many KPI's getting added on

6. "Good Company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wembley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wembley, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can easy boost your rank and skills.

Cons

payment can be better , way better

Advice to Management

carry on

7. "Good place to start.... not a long term career."

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If your interested in tech and helping people it’s a good place to start a sales career and people management.

10% product discount, reasonable flexibility around shifts.

Cons

Retail in general and Dixon’s Carphone specifically want more and more for less and less.
    Payroll is constantly reduced year on year meaning the only way to staff stores correctly is to lose experienced older ( higher paid!) staff and replace with younger cheaper people.

There is an expectation to work every hour they need you to with little or no notice, yet this is not displayed by regional management or Currys general management.

Work life balance is very difficult with the lack of staff most stores suffer from and zero understanding from managers.

Unless your in the managers and regional managers friend groups you’ve got bob hope of progression. Although there is structured progression plans, interviews and assessments these are easily fudged to give the person whose face fits the jobs.

Your constantly pressured to make colleagues sell products and services to customers that they either don’t need or want.

Discounts don’t officially exist.... unless you need to drive a kpi by either massively discounting it, or giving it away.

Cables that cost pennies to buy in sold at £50+, extended warranties that although FCA regulated were hugely targeted and pressured to sell to customers.

Actively selling customer into contracted services for mobile phone and home broad band that aren’t right for the customer.... but great for the store and stop the General Managers getting grief from area managers.

Complete disconnection of the senior managements vision and how that’s executed on the shop floor. Regional managers really don’t care about colleagues or customers just deliver a number by whatever means possible.

Advice to Management

Get a grip of what regional managers are actually demanding and instructing General managers to do.

The sales staff want to treat customers the right way, and give them great service. Change the management of these great people and reward them correctly.

For pity’s sake reduce the number of KPIs and stop the pressure selling! It’s not needed the staff are better than that if they are allowed to be.

8. "Company doesn’t know what they are doing."

Former Employee - General Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Got 14 months experience to move onto another company. Stay clear of this company. Will ruin your life. Stay clear of SIS in currys.

Cons

Lack of training for management. If they don’t like you they will try and get rid of you. My advice is join a union. Constant pressure to hit targets. Only way to hit them is to mis sell. Currys ruined the brand. They dictate what days to have off and are losing long term employees. Turnover of staff is high and bonus system is terrible for the job you do. Glad I left when I did. Dispose the place.

Advice to Management

You have no idea what you are doing. As a general manager you offer no support and mobile complete is a joke. Constant pressure from people above. No wonder you are losing long term staff and your share price has dropped like a stone. Gone are the mowbli fun days. Getting angry just typing this.

9. "Working at the carphone warehouse is great, best place I've worked at, the vibe is amazing!"

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discounts on accessories and discount off phone contracts up to 30% off, great benefits, always more hours if you want more hours!

Cons

If it gets really busy there's a chance you don't get a break, but you get used to it, get paid for breaks anyway!

Advice to Management

Need to improve the bonus scheme! As our competitors such as EE get better commision!

10. "Benefits"

Former Employee - General Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No pros at all for this company

Cons

Cpw offers company sick pay , I would not rely on being paid any company sick as they will find any reason not to pay this , as they say this is discretionary . In the number off year working for the company I have seen a number off staff members refused company sick . Shocking behaviour for apparently a caring company.