Cover image for Carr Engineering

100% Recommend to a Friend
100% Approve of CEO

Found 7 of over 7 reviews

4.8
Carr Engineering CEO Michael Carr (no image)
Michael Carr

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Tech

77 Comments

Tech

627.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Carr Engineering~1444290
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Carr Engineering? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Carr Engineering employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Management are developers; therefore, they can empathize with you about the challenges of being a developer(in 3 reviews)
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A Great Company to Be a Part Of

Jul 13, 2017 - Marketing Communications Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great Team - Ability to Help Nonprofits Fill Opportunities - Good Pay - Good Benefits - Great Internal Communication - Remote Opportunities

Cons

None so far.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0

Mostly good

Jan 13, 2022 - Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Deming model, no targets or quotas for sales team

Cons

I feel that I’m underpaid

Carr Engineering Response

Director of Human Resources

Thank you for acknowledging our model of focusing on constant improvement, rather than short term targets or quotas. Regarding your concern, absolutely feel free to follow our internal process and reach out to any member of the leadership team, including myself, to discuss this offline.

3. Join the Carr Engineering team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Work from home, help non-profits!

Dec 8, 2016 - Software Developer in Mount Vernon, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Carr Engineering is a work-from-home company, and I love it. I don't have the expense or hassle of a commute, I can see my spouse at lunch time and help with any home emergencies. For me, working from home is focusing and comfortable, which helps me be more productive. The work at CEI is important to me. Since we create software for non-profit organizations, I know my contributions to the company also have a positive impact on many communities around the world. As a developer in a small company, I get to work on both the backend and frontend of the system, on many different layers of the system, which is interesting and provides good experience. The co-workers are great, everyone is friendly and helpful. Management is very easy to communicate with, works with the developers.

Cons

There are general downsides to working from home. It is easy to get distracted by things happening at home. You must have internet access at home. For me personally, this was a bit of a challenge, because internet is not available at every house. However, a physical company cannot be reached from everywhere either. I wish I could see my co-workers more often. I think that our communication would be faster and more accurate if we could see each other face-to-face rather than communicating with phone and IM. I also have realized that I miss just hanging out with co-workers over lunch, car pool, etc. Carr Engineering organizes non-work meetings for this purpose, which helps. As a small company, I don't expect to be promoted to a higher or more managerial position - the company simply isn't that large.

5. 5.0

Great place to work

Oct 26, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

VolunteerHub (Carr Engineering, Inc.) is a laid-back, employee-driven, work-from-home environment that is honestly a perfect fit for self-motivated individuals. Management is excellent and puts great effort into developing their employees. Coworkers are friendly and intelligent and a joy to work with. Pay/benefits are great, and the culture is the best I've seen in any company since the employees and management really care about the well-being of both the company and each other. And of course, it's always nice to work in the comfort of your own home.

Cons

Because it's a somewhat smaller company, there's not a lot of room for upward movement in many roles. But if you are doing what you love to do, that doesn't matter so much. It's also probably not a good fit for people who need constant direction from a supervisor since it's a more self-driven culture and everyone is expected, to some degree, to own their work and make some levels of decisions on their own (personally I consider this a pro, but others might not).

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for, especially if you want to work remotely

Nov 22, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

When everyone on staff works remotely, communication is key. Communication between Sales, Support, and Developers is very good here. There are set "office hours" when you are expected to work (and be available via Skype). This makes it very easy to get in touch with co-workers when needed. Staff also have regular meetings with their managers. There is flexibility if you need to adjust your hours temporarily for an appointment, and generous PTO. When you come on board, you are given all the resources you need to become familiar with the software and company.

Cons

There is the risk of miscommunication when you're not talking to someone face-to-face, but that can be mostly remedied with a phone call. (I imagine that's true of all remote-work situations.) They have procedures in place to overcome that remote-work barrier, and are always open for suggestions.

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

It's great working here

Dec 8, 2016 - Senior Developer in Circleville, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

• Welcoming environment for freethinking, as new ideas are wanted and discussed • Excited to improve and not afraid to change to make that happen • Management are developers; therefore, they can empathize with you about the challenges of being a developer • Frequent opportunities to learn new things and grow as a developer • Professional development expected and encouraged through access to company provided training and time • Balanced approach between collaboration and focus development time • Given the tools you need to get your job done • A practical development approach that is focused on the customer • Developers work throughout the entire code base not just a specialized area • Working remotely

Cons

• The practical development approach may be frustrating to some developers who prefer a more "by the book" approach • Working throughout the entire code base may not fit the developer who prefers only front-end development, for example • Working remotely isn't for everyone; it requires self-disciple and self-motivation

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

I work as a business developer

Feb 17, 2021 - Business Developer in Lagos
    Business Outlook

Pros

they are very focused company

Cons

they work too hard, and no basic amenities

Be the first to find this review helpful

Carr Engineering Response

Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, but I do want to double check if you have connected to the correct company? Carr Engineering, Inc. is a remote US-based company, and we've never had employees in Lagos. I want to ensure Glassdoor has posted your advice to those who can take action. I’m happy to take this offline if you need further assistance, thanks!

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 English Reviews