Carr Gomm Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 14, 2018

1.8
Lucy Wren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Shocked by toxic atmosphere at this company"

Former Employee - Support Assistant
    Former Employee - Support Assistant

I worked at Carr Gomm full-time

Pros

Really rewarding to forge real connections with vulnerable people and to help them. If you enjoy spending time with people and helping people make a real difference to their lives, you'll love this aspect of it.

Cons

Be careful - workers are pitted against each other by Management, encouraged to dislike and distrust each-other. When I was there my Manager constantly encouraged workers to say negative things about other workers - you would then be told exactly what the other person had said about you, which was always negative, creating a really uneasy 'chinese whispers' type atmosphere in the office. They make you feel like you're terrible at your job, even when you feel like you are doing well with the supports themselves. Was constantly belittled, undermined and criticised by an organisation that ironically claims to hold 'respect and compassion' as their core values - and I wasn't the only one. Never once told 'well done' for doing something well. I think this is why they have such a high turnover rate, as the job itself is amazing. But unfortunately, a lot of people can't hack the ruthless, two-faced and toxic workplace environment.

Advice to Management

Treat staff with the same dignity and respect touted as values by your organisation.

2. "Avoid this company"

I worked at Carr Gomm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supporting people who really need help

Cons

This company is shocking. Senior managers couldnt care less about staff, service users or service managers. Staff are run down. Services are always understaffed resulting in people not being looked after as they should. Do senior management care? No, not one bit. They only shout about money and training and if staff make errors due to being overworkered, all they want is action against them. Everything is about covering their own back. Do not be taken in by the social media drives to hire staff who " love their jobs' ... if they were good to work for they wouldnt need to be on the look out constantly.
    It might be tempting to work for this company due to the fact they will hire you just for walking past the office. But dont do it. There are other companies who will value you for what you do. Carr Gomm definately will not. Take note of the other reviews on this page and avoid!!!

Advice to Management

Do your job before its too late. Hire people to run the company who are qualified rather than because they have worked for you a number of years.
    Look at the state of the services and how unhappy people are.

3. "Good job, terrible company"

I have been working at Carr Gomm full-time

Pros

Amazing feeling when you help somebody and see the impact you have on their lives and the progress they make for themselves. Amazing little team where I am.

Cons

Management are only bothered about themselves. The higher up you go, the worse they are. No thought or care for how much good the staff do, management only bother when there is something negative...but they wait until things are almost not repairable.

Advice to Management

Look after the people on the front line! Don't take what managers say as gospel...we are the ones working with the people! Ensure you only allow people with 'people skills' to be managers, not rude, arrogant, nasty people.

4. "shocked and upset"

Former Employee - Support Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Support Assistant in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Carr Gomm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

much over time offered within certain services. chance given to spend time supporting some very vulnerable adults with complex needs

Cons

this is a company who, in the main, could not care less about it's staff. they even go so far as to think of their staff as the enemy and do little to support them or listen to them. they certainly do not take on board the valuable comments/suggestions that the staff make. i have witnessed managers and senior management behave in such a way as to suggest they think of their staff team as being troublesome to them. this company is exceptionally badly organised.

Advice to Management

think of your staff as an asset as opposed to anything else. the first port of call to running a great and successful business as to allow your staff to feel listened to and valued and appreciated. dont be so secretive towards your staff and dont be so reluctant to keep them informed as to what is happening and is going to be happening.

5. "Business Coordinator"

Former Employee - Business Coordinator in Chennai (India)
    Former Employee - Business Coordinator in Chennai (India)

I worked at Carr Gomm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interest to work in this field

Cons

• Documentation of Export and Import for custom clearance.

• Executing Bill of Entry, Bond, Bank Guarantee and Corporate Guarantee for Import clearance.

• Suitable ITC classification of Import Cargo to bring down the custom import duty and HSN and SAC code in GST for TAX

• Coordination for delivery of imported cargo to importers in time

6. "Six week job that turned into four years"

Current Employee - Support Assistant in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Support Assistant in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

Pros

As a support assistant I have enjoyed working with all different people. Different needs and different dreams and aspirations. A small step forward in some of the lives of the people we support can be a huge change in their enjoyment of life. I came to the company for a proposed six weeks to update my practice as I taught social care at the local college. I was reminded of how much I enjoyed this type of work when I did it before so I am still employed after nearly four years.

Cons

Although we have national standards and policies they are not always interpreted the same way in many services. This can be both confusing and frustrating. However when this is raised with management it is usually addressed and sorted

Advice to Management

Cherish your staff as some times we feel taken for granted. A simple thing like saying well done to someone can go miles in staff morale

"Overall positive experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundee, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundee, Scotland (UK)

Pros

Very flexible, very rewarding job in terms of job satisfaction

Cons

I was there when they were doing some pay cuts due to lack of funding - the pay could be improved.

Advice to Management

please pay attention to any in-work politics

"Not recommended"

Former Employee - Support Assistant in Haddington, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Support Assistant in Haddington, Scotland (UK)

Pros

Work with service users can be rewarding
    Able to work locally
    Could claim back travel expenses

Cons

Low pay
    Other staff can be underhanded
    Hard to feel off duty on rest days
    Felt under appreciated by management
    Questionable practices in dealing with staff

Advice to Management

Please value your staff as they are the backbone of your service
    Unhappy staff will opt to work elsewhere

"Support Assistant"

Former Employee - Falkirk in Falkirk, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Falkirk in Falkirk, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Carr Gomm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the service users. It was challenging but rewarding.

Cons

It seems that this company has a lot of staff off sick. They are always looking for cover. There can be a lot of back stabbing within the work place. So, please watch your back. They are ruthless in conducting their disciplinary procedures. They do not always listen to all side of the argument.