Carrabba's Italian Grill Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Carrabba's Italian Grill CEO David Pace
David Pace

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours depending on table turnover (in 19 reviews)

• it's hard to make money bartending there (in 8 reviews)

1. "It was fun in the beginning"

Former Employee - Catering Manager/Server/Bartender in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Catering Manager/Server/Bartender in Reston, VA

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill (More than 5 years)

Pros

Back in 2009, had great management and a great team

Cons

After 2012, everything went down hill with unprepared managers. I think they'll hire anyone who can walk and talk to manage a restaurant. Very, very, very unhappy servers and bartenders.

Advice to Management

Advice to regional management, you know who you are- support your proprietors and assistant managers and kitchen managers. Don't just walk in and sit down and pick at things

2. "Server"

Former Employee - Server in Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Pompano Beach, FL

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flex schedule and some great co-workers.

Cons

Horrible management, poor working conditions and unsanitary.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat your valuable employees that care and are dependable. You'll never have a successful restaurant when major decisions are based on favoratism.

3. "Where did the pride in good food go???"

Former Employee - Server in Avondale, AZ
    Former Employee - Server in Avondale, AZ

Pros

Capable of providing great casual dining experience. Servers are usually pretty knowledgeable and get used to doing about twice as much as any other restaurant asks of their servers.

Cons

Management is poorly trained, scheduling is done by unqualified people and usually posted the night before the previous schedule ends making it impossible to schedule for, ya know,...having a life or second job or family obligations etc.

Also the menu has noticeably reduced in quality, yet risen in price. Making the servers bare the brunt of complaints and take the financial hit of less customers (with exception of happy hour customers, but their bills never break $40 and require the server to make countless more trips to table) because of food costs and dissatisfaction of customer.
    I worked here for nearly four years and have watched carrabbas slowly but surely turn more and more into an "olive garden". I was left little choice but to find a less hostile place of employment.

Advice to Management

Pay servers at least minimum wage and stop cutting corners worried about personal bonuses or poor financial expenses.
    and.....LIST DRINK PRICES ON MENU!!!! SO ANNOYING

"Owner is Terrible"

Former Employee - Hostess in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Hostess in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill (More than a year)

Pros

Good tips when we're busy
    Two managers are awesome, owner isn't
    Nice coworkers
    Easy first job
    ...don't have 20 words of nice things to say

Cons

The owner constantly insults all of the staff, they don't schedule enough people, even after a night you did a great job you can expect to get yelled at. Not to mention constantly being told you're replaceable, that's the best part. Getting paid 2.13/hour is not worth how the owner treats you.

Advice to Management

Learn to compliment your employees once a year.

5. "I wouldn't if I were you........"

Former Employee - Bartender/Server in Temple Terrace, FL
    Former Employee - Bartender/Server in Temple Terrace, FL

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Only pro is you get half off (Select) food on the day you work if you get out on a decent hour. Even if you do the kitchen makes a big stink because there making an employee's meal.

Cons

So many con's, literally. I want to pertain my disdain to a particular store on Fowler Ave, in Tampa. There is so much favoritism, its High School again. There are a hand full of employee's that have been there 15 to 20 years and they get the best sections, the best customers ( ones who look like they have money), the best treatment by managers, and they get away with everything. Yes, there are bad sections in the restaurant to be in that you will not make any money, though the manager (if that's what you call him) will tell you there’s not. If they don't like you they will give you two days a week to work, even though you were hired on for full time. They will put you in the worst sections in the restaurant to try to get you to quit. There's no teamwork, they laugh at your down falls, talk behind your back like catty school kids, sexual harassment and they stab you in the back. When you go to any managers they brush off your issue like it's nothing.
    This was the worst place I've ever worked for and I thank my lucky stars I no longer do. Woah-hoo!

Advice to Management

I shouldn't have to tell them how to run a business.

6. "Partner"

Current Employee - Managing Partner in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Managing Partner in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Trying to get it together problem is it's too late, promoted from within ONLY, therefore you have Servers, bussers, & cooks running 2 to 4 million $$ business without any professional HR experience, just because they've worked for the company 20 years IS NOT NECESSARILY GOOD!, it's 20 years of wear and tear, turn over amongst qualified servers, cooks, managers that HAVE experience IS VERY HIGH, They LEAVE, do not want to be an outcast for demanding they are up to date with the rest of the restaurant industry, this is why you see so many of these reviews from unit staff, saying managers are unprofessional etc., and managers say it's great, it's because they just got promoted from a unit staff position, same with other concepts they have also, Outback, Bonefish, Roy's, etc.....

Cons

Everything listed in Pros, company is backwards, surprised there isn't any class action suits against them for the way hey use profanity with their staff, throw items across the restaurants like children huff puff, drink on the job, they'll be Applebee's if they are lucky in 3 years at the most.

Advice to Management

Grow up.

7. "2nd worst job in my life"

Former Employee - Server in Rogers, AR
    Former Employee - Server in Rogers, AR

Pros

The food is good, very good. 25% discount throughout company. 50% discount before or after shift and occasionally 75% discount available. Closed early Sunday nights night

Cons

Way too much side work. Especially when understaffed. Not fair to servers to have to stock glasses and take bar ware to be washed and have to tip out bartender. Hosts got part of tips and rarely did anything other than seat. Managers not fair about station assignment. Co workers also got butt hurt about getting less than 20% tips or really anything at all. Very unfriendly staff to work with. Had to box food next to dish area, gross. Unable to get credit card tips at end of shift. Had to pick up 2 hours before shift or on day off. Managers fraternize with staff after hours, if you didn't you got bad section/side work and shifts. Most of the time all servers had to work closing doubles on Sunday's. Very hard to just get one shift that day.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to what other manager staff is doing. Be fair to everyone. Develop a sense of humor. Have one shift only on Sunday's be an option to everyone

8. "bad"

Former Employee - Manager in Palm Bay, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Palm Bay, FL

Pros

Terrible unorganized and old school

Cons

Those were the pros can you aging the cons

Advice to Management

Get it together and try alittle

9. "New changes for the worst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL

Pros

Sad to say, only the meal discount is a pro right now.

Cons

Managers and employees are dropping like flies.. There have been so many stores that have many people quit in the past few months. Corporate is full of people that have never been in a kitchen before. We have a new menu that was rolled out last week, and although the food is good, the execution is horrible. At our store alone we have lost so many line cooks and even though we are not staffed for season, the proprietor does not have motivation to hire more people. There is no training either.. In the two years I've been there I had to teach myself everything (then management gets aggravated because it's not executed right... It's your fault!!)

I would not recommend to anybody. I'm close to being one foot out the door.

Advice to Management

Have more passion to train! It's not fair to be thrown at the wolves on your first day! Don't put all line cook hours on the AKM and KM. It's not fair. Don't be so money hungry, instead be realistic.

10. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Plantation, FL
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in Plantation, FL

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Free employee meals
    2. Payday on Wednesday's, bi-weekly

Cons

1. Work environment stressful at times
    2. Too corporate oriented