Carriage Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Mel Payne

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Good pay with poor support

Cons

Does not care about morale. Without the people working at the business, the business would not survive. Stock is manipulated by employee purchase program. Company is based on a book titled Good to Great. What a joke.

Advice to Management

Trust your managers after all you interviewed them

"Take the CARE out of CARRIAGE"

Former Employee - Managing Partner

I worked at Carriage Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

De-Centralized Structure is an attraction
    The pay is competitive

Cons

There is no support from Senior Management
    Standards are difficult to achieve... when facts are brought forth for reassessment such as change in consumer trends, changed in demographics, socio-economic changes to market the company is silent and is unmoved to engage further
    Community input as well as previous owners' input is not taken into account

Advice to Management

The pressure by middle/senior management is for higher sales regardless of how many potential customers in may drive away in particular markets. This may have you achieve a metric of a standard in contract averages, but in time you will lose market share due to the fact that you closed the door on many potential customers with your price hikes and sales tactics.

"Steer Clear of Carriage Services"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

I worked at Carriage Services full-time

Pros

Little or no commute; occasional overtime.

Cons

Pay is far below baseline standard, Commission schedule changes all the time, especially in the case of rewrites. In many cases, counselors are charged back and commissions are taken from them or greatly reduced. Always a new reason from a specific individual at home office as to why a commission is reduced or not paid. It is a revolving door with staff there. Of late, the management team at one of the locations is the most corrupt I have ever seen. They love to encourage high sales volume and do not deliver on promises. They have buried individuals in the wrong plots on many occasions, failed to order memorial markers or had gross misspellings, failed to post payments properly. The Office Manager is highly unprofessional and repeatedly talks about clients and colleagues in a negative fashion.

Advice to Management

Mel Payne should make visits to the locations unannounced to see what really happens at the various locations. It is unfortunate that this behavior exists in the death care industry. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. There was no option to rate a zero, so I had to give it a 1 star, but honestly, even a zero is not deserved. I would never bury my loved ones there. It's a disgrace.

"They pull the rug out from under people for no reason"

Former Employee - Managing Partner

Pros

Decent benefits with 401k and life insurance

Cons

I was terminated after 9 years of very loyal service because I toyed with the idea of opening an embalming service as a side line. Did not affect Carriage in any way and I never even started it. Just registered the name so I could have it. They did not follow their own employee handbook in regard to such matters. It was really a way to lower payroll by replacing me with a newcomer at half salary or less. They don't care about people only $$$$

Advice to Management

Follow your own handbook and stop using excuses to terminate long term employees for cheaper newcomers.

"Can't recommend"

I worked at Carriage Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decentralized management model is great if the local manager is competent and experienced.

Cons

Excessive focus on financial metrics

"It was the Worst experience ever."

Former Employee - Gopher in Trumbull, CT
    Former Employee - Gopher in Trumbull, CT

Pros

the people were somewhat nice. but nice dont pay the bills

Cons

the Pay was terrible. I had to stay in my parent's house .. couldnt move out..

Advice to Management

learn to pay your people right. because of my experience i left the business for 9 years.

"If you need to support yourself, this is not the place for you...let alone if you have a family."

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Titusville, FL
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Titusville, FL

I worked at Carriage Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Crematory on site of funeral home.

Cons

Pay is hourly against commission which is okay if you can make commission. Commissions on pre-need cremations are FAR below industry standards and with the cremation rate at or above 80%, it's EXTREMELY difficult to break even on the hourly vs. commission. Company does not seek out new business by advertising, (except for the once a week ad in the Hometown News) mail outs, seminars, etc. You are basically on your own when it comes to finding business, with the exception of the occasional walk-in or true at-need family. "Management" leaves MUCH to be desired, are not friendly or personable and are usually too busy to address issues. Funeral directors show little if any compassion unless they personally know the family they are assisting. Basic cremation families are not treated the same as families who choose burial. It's almost as if the funeral director is there simply to get the family in and out as soon as possible. Pretty sad when they should be there to help and DIRECT. Training is relatively non-existent. Counselors rarely stay more than a few months as the current sales manager is full of himself and will take sales that are not rightfully his.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as if they are valued and they will show you their worth. Help promote sales through other means than just a weekly ad. Pay your employees fairly.

"Chaotic!!! Bottom of the Barrel Leadership & HR Department"

I have been working at Carriage Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees are great and we cater to and help families who have lost a loved one.

Cons

(1) HR leadership cannot be trusted and are not responsive to the field. Never take their advice.....You'll always get burned because they don't believe in management training or train-the-trainer.
    (2) The pay is not based on your experience - it's based on favoritism and relationships
    (3) Management does not believe in training (information hoarders) - Sink or Swim? They're only focused on their S&B (salary and benefits)
    (4) Extremely High Turnover: Experienced employees watch out! They'll find ways to terminate you when you're doing a great job!

Advice to Management

Clean house and bring in mature and more experienced, trustworthy, forward-thinking, positive leadership with management experience, heart, passion, and integrity. Great employees continue to come and go. And speaking for every employee in the field, the Houston support center has to be more responsive to our needs, especially the HR department who is notorious for dropping the ball. Besides, we are the reason you all get paid, but when we contact the support center for payroll related questions or if we have issues with the time clock, we receive crappy service with aggressive behaviors. You all reap the benefits of our labor out here in the field because we're the ones selling funeral services. And speaking of "Benefits", that particular department needs to be evaluated immediately by upper management. Several employees at our location have been burned repeatedly by the Benefits Department and management who is never available or responsive might I add; money lost on the Employee Stock Purchase program for forms never being received or maybe they were received but never processed because the turnover is ridiculously high for one department. Whenever we do finally get a response after following up several times, it's always a new person who doesn't know what we're talking about or claim they never received our fax, emails, and voicemails. When your turnover is that high, what does this say about management? You all coach us here in the field to hire the right people for the right seats, but maybe management should practice what they teach and reevaluate who's in the wrong seats for your HR Department, as well as other positions in that support center because employee morale in the field is down and something should be done about it.

"Carriage Services Should Practice Proper Employee Treatment"

Pros

Aetna Insurance is great. Love it. Sadly I cannot think of any other pros to be honest. Ive put my heart and soul into this job but cannot praise a company that does not care about their employees.

Cons

Im a 12yr emp. No raises in 7yrs for ANY staff. Always excuses ALL the time. Our staff has been cut to a bare min. Went from 6 FT and 6 PT staff to 2FT 2PT as instructed to cut cost but we still cannot get raises?? The 4E Model need to go because even when its met theres still no reward for employees.

Advice to Management

Employees are FED UP! Great empl. are never recognized only Managers. Staff deserve respect and many dont even get spoken to when the DOS or RM come to locations. Staff cutting and combining positions has only led to poor employee moral and job burnout. We cannot use our sick days or vacation time because we are so short staffed we cannot take off. Something needs to really change.