Carrington College Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Dr. Donna Loraine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It's not the school and the people, but upper management at all (in 11 reviews)

• Home office does not address issues going on at the campus level (in 10 reviews)

1. "Carrington"

I worked at Carrington College full-time

Pros

The staff is professional and knowledgeable

Cons

It is a very fast paced program. Feels like they miss a lot.

Nov 7, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review! Our program lengths appeal to students to are ready to move on to their careers. Our instructors do a wonderful job of using their knowledge to support students as they... More

2. "Was amazing a few years ago, now falling apart because of upper management."

I worked at Carrington College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The lower level employees who are still there are dedicated to the students. Benifits are great.

Cons

Upper management consistently lied about the state of the company and jobs. Two sets of lay offs after being told by the president that the company is in a great position. Management has low care about employees or students. Upper management does not consider or respect the expertise of colleagues.

Advice to Management

We get that there are hard times. Don't try and hide it. Be honest and pull the company together as a team. It's your job to raise leaders, not drive them into the ground. Be willing to understand that it's not about what you like but what the student needs.

Nov 27, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you so much for providing us with feedback on our organizational changes. They we made to enable us to better serve our students, but we recognize that some colleagues felt frustration as they... More

"LOVED, but difficult."

Former Employee - Massage Therapy Program Director in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Massage Therapy Program Director in Boise, ID

I worked at Carrington College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I loved the program and teaching the students. It was amazing to enlighten their lives and give them a career.

Cons

Management, the parent company (DeVry, Inc.) and the behind the scenes was derogatory, negative, and deceptive in the long run. I could not ethically stay with the company.

Oct 30, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review. Carrington is focused on making our students the centerpiece of everything we do. We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed working with your students during your time as a... More

4. "Instructor"

Former Employee - Instructor in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Instructor in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Carrington College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are competitive.

Cons

Poor leadership, low staff morale, low staff engagement scores, loss of any faculty governance.

Advice to Management

Improve communication, be more proactive, pay attention when you start losing so many great employees!

Nov 16, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for leaving a review. We're happy to hear that you felt your compensation was good. We will pass along your feedback to the appropriate departments.

"It's Going Down"

I worked at Carrington College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay
    Vacation
    Culture (depending on location)
    Students
    Colleagues
    Events
    Just a great family at Carrington! Really enjoyed helping students!

Cons

Oh, I don't know where to start. Apparently, 2 weeks before I started, some people were laid off. I had a great first 6 months. Loved my team, my manager and just coming to work. But people started talking and rumors flying about something happening at the school. There was a law suit with Devry and it was ugly. I wasn't too concerned. So I'm January, there was an unexpected lay off. They laid off ALL MANAGEMENT. What the heck? They claim it was to eliminate hoops to get answers and focus on students. So a lot changed. There was no way to move up. You would just be in the same job. The pay raise was only 2%. Communication was TERRIABLE. Orders weren't being processed and approved. Tight budgets and just confusions. So sadly, people all throughout all campuses begin to leave. Students started noticing and it was just not good. We all had to stick togetger. We had people on our campus working on another campuses files! We were already short staffed. They expect so much with so little. This change was not to benefit the students. But because of the law suit. So next.....everything was getting someone smooth. And BOOM! Another lay off on October 10th. All registrar and assistant registrar, a few career services, students finance and maybe enrollment were laid off! Omg! What is Carrington thinking? The students already complain about not being able to see Financial aid. So they decided to give everyone web cams to use because everything is going remote. What's the excuse this time? Because students have grown up with technology and they will like this better. Um...no they won't! So yes, people were laid off, but they are having them still come to work and may be let go earlier than the 2 weeks. They will probably replace the finance advisors with people who will have a lower salary. This place is either trying to be bought out or closing within a year. It's not good. I really feel for everyone still there. Enrollment is low, but they're barely marketing. It's so bad. If you are looking to work here, the people you will work with are AMAZING! But just know, your job is at risk. Stay away from Carrington, Brookline and Pima. It's not the school and the people, but upper management at all.

Advice to Management

I know this won't get fixed. But thank you for this opportunity. It's all about the money. Not us, not the students. You all will probably transfer within the education group. Some of these people worked themselves and became so stressed and depressed. So sad, but I understand. I don't need my degree to see what's going on. I love you all and best of luck!

Oct 18, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

We appreciate you taking time to leave a review. We recognize the value of loving the people you work with, and we’re happy to hear that enjoyed your colleagues. It’s also important for us to... More

6. "No longer the company I joined"

I have been working at Carrington College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits for full time employees

Cons

The continual reorganizations and layoffs have left our campus without any management or support. Home office keeps rearranging the deck chairs, but this ship is headed straight for that iceberg. It's really sad because the employees at the campus level are absolutely amazing and will do everything in their power to help out fellow colleagues, and the students really deserve a well-organized campus.

Advice to Management

Get good management in place and stop reorganizing the entire management structure.

Nov 17, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for your feedback on our organization model. We have changed things around to enable us to focus more directly on our students and their needs. We will pass your feedback along to ensure it... More

7. "Changing the lives of its students"

I have been working at Carrington College full-time

Pros

Passionate employees, knowledgeable leaders. Long history of helping student achieve goals and improve their lives.

Cons

Lack of internal processes in place.

Advice to Management

Clearer communication between corporate office and local campuses.

Sep 28, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you so much for leaving a review! We're so happy to hear you feel like we're doing the right things for our students. We will direct your feedback on internal communication and processes to the... More

"It's a mess"

Former Employee - Medical Assisting Instructor in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Assisting Instructor in Stockton, CA

I worked at Carrington College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My colleagues and coworkers- they were the best!
    The students have such a drive to better themselves- its inspiring.
    Fridays off! (For the most part)

Cons

Lack of communication with management and upper management- you as an instructor are 99.9% in the dark.
    Pay- you will not recieve appropriate compensation and value in comparison to the work and responsibility you will have and what will continue to be put on your plate. They lack the ability to say "Good Job!", let alone a review and raise.
    You are not supported as an instructor- your curriculum that you will be asked to teach is not complete and you can not veer from the structure set. The curriculum also repeats itself term to term and when you alert an PD they say- it'll get fixed for the next go around, but it doesn't.
    Positions that come available are filled very sketchy

Advice to Management

Show that you value your instructors by giving them support and monetary compensation for the work they do. Stop taking advantage of your faculty.

Nov 3, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for your review. We're so happy to hear that you loved your colleagues and students. Student success is at the core of everything we do, and making our colleagues feel supported is key to... More

"Many yrs being a Program Director that Enjoyed Until...."

Former Employee - Program Director
    Former Employee - Program Director

I worked at Carrington College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefit Package. Decent Wage.. Great Students.....

Cons

I was with the college for over a decade as a Program Director.. I LOVED my position.. Before DeVry bought the Apollo College Schools, it was the Greatest organization to work for! EVERYONE cared about each other and their success, including the hierarchies.. It was the Best! Then Good'ole Devry came in and took over .People were being fired, people were being let go, people were being laid off, the ones who were still working and employed with the company, were nervous every single day, wondering if their time was up.. It became a living nightmare for many. Backstabbing and backbiting became a daily thing and I think it was because people we truly fighting for the jobs..Then came,, We have to tighten the budget, We have to do this, you have to make sure EVERYONE passes, gets a job REGARDLESS. One day one person is in charge and the next day that person is no longer with the company. DeVry turned it into a three-ring circus. The people that have quit or been let go after me, say it continues to spiral out of control..

Advice to Management

Go back to the drawing board People! Go back to when this College was being ran very successfully in the early to mid-2000s.. It was ran and directed by people who Cared about each other and the Amazing students! Those days were success for Everyone.. Bring back the people that had APOLLO College Thriving and Producing Amazing well Educated Students!! Big Corporation and GREED,, Destroyed a Great Community-based, higher education, organization!! Just Sad!!

Nov 3, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for letting us know your thoughts. We remain more dedicated than ever to our students and their success, as well as the success of our colleagues. We appreciate your feedback, and will pass... More

10. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Carrington College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love my work, I love what I do. The site I'm at is amazing. Everyone is helpful to one another. Great team that I work with. My program director is supportive and understanding both with staff and students. I feel blessed.

Cons

I feel we should make more than we do. We get paid about the same as we would if we worked in the field. And our medical benefits are really expensive.

Advice to Management

Better pay

Sep 11, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for leaving a review. We're happy to hear that you love your work and your team. We will pass along your feedback to the appropriate departments.