Carrington Mortgage Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bruce Rose

Pros
  • Great benefits for part-time workers (in 11 reviews)

• Decent pay and professional office setting (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management needs to offer concise training (in 11 reviews)

• At times a sweat shop trying to do Agile the way they see it (in 5 reviews)

1. "I don't usually do this but felt the need to"

Current Employee - Database Administrator/Architect in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator/Architect in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Carrington Mortgage Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't usually do this stuff but felt the need to give people who use this site a balanced opinion.

I've worked in IT for many, many years and Carrington is definitely one of the better places I've worked.

Recently had the opportunity to work directly with the CIO on a couple of projects, he is very smart, an expert of the industry, technically savvy, understands technology and how it should be used but most importantly for me, very supportive of the people who work at Carrington. He is always prepared to get them the tools and resources needed to be successful. He does, rightly so, expect results.

Compensation is very competitive.

Carrington has a Charitable Foundation which raises money and builds homes for our veterans.

Nice people to work with.

Many challenges, but I personally find this a good thing, hard to get bored.

Good work is recognized by management.

Cons

No 401K, but it is on the way

Raises are not tied to the annual performance review

As mentioned in previous posts, Carrington has grown from a very small company to it's current size very quickly. That transition can be difficult for any company, going from a culture of 'just get it done quickly' to 'get it done the correct way, even if it takes a little longer'.

Communication between groups could be a little better.

I've seen comments about Carrington being a 'sweat shop', from what I see every day, nothing could be further from the truth.

Advice to Management

For me being in IT, its working on that transition from a small company to our current size. That is as much a change in culture/mentality as anything else. Also making sure that project deadlines allow for things to be done the right way.

2. "The Carrington IT department is great- IF you're willing to work hard"

I have been working at Carrington Mortgage Holdings full-time

Pros

Carrington is a dynamic company that’s growing by leaps and bounds. If you’re good at your job, and you don’t mind working hard, it’s good place to be. If you’re looking to be coddled, or looking to skate along and pick up an easy paycheck, it’s not the place for you.

Senior management runs the IT department as it should, like a business. The CIO translates IT services into business language. Metrics are compiled, and progress tracked. This is then reported to the core senior leadership team. Everyone from the top down is invested and interested in IT delivery. This attention can be both positive (additional hardware, software and new technology) or negative (focus on why projects are not delivered on time/budget). If you do your job and communicate with your manager, they do their level best to remove the obstacles quickly and things get done. If you’re not delivering, you’re going to be coached to perform.

It seems like many reviews on here focus on negative things, and that’s a shame. You can't please everyone. The reality of IT support is you’re going to work long hours. You’re going to have things break in the middle of the night. If you’re good at your job those instances are few, but they do happen. If you’re looking for a 9 to 5 gig and two hour lunches every day, IT isn’t the career for you, at Carrington or anywhere else. If you’re interested in a rewarding and challenging career, then it’s a great place to be.

Cons

No 401K
    Parking can be difficult if you’re not early

Feb 22, 2017 – Communications Manager

As Carrington continues to grow, great feedback from associates like you will always be important. Your opinion matters to our success. Thank you for everything you do for Carrington and our ... More

3. "Challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Carrington Mortgage Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CIO:
    I have been working in technology for more than 15 years. Carrington’s CIO is the only CIO I have seen that understands the business as well as many executives on the business side. It is so refreshing to see a CIO go to the whiteboard and actually draw business processes and talk about money flowing in our businesses. He is also happen to be a great communicator to the business. Translating technology problems and solutions to the business so they can actually understand can be really difficult. I think he does a very good job on that. He also encourages the team not to be order takers from the business. We are here to provide solutions and solve the business problems not to just do exactly what is asked from us. If you are good at what you do he is a blast to work for.

Challenging but Rewarding:
    Carrington IT is considered a shared services used by entire Carrington family of companies. This make things very challenging sometimes. These companies may have completely different priorities and managing all their requirements is not an easy task. But these challenges make the job we do more rewarding. There are times I go home on a Friday afternoon and think about the week behind me and feel proud that I pulled it off. It also helps me as an IT person to get the experience of working for a consultant company.

Looking forward to the future:
    The CIO roadmap for 2017 is very exciting. I am a data person so I will focus on the data portion of his plan. We are going to work with business side by side and make the Carrington EDW the number one place to go to for everybody when they need data. It will be challenging no doubt about that. But something to look forward to.

People are actually nice:
    I am yet to see a mean person in this place. Everyone has been very nice to me so far. We do have a friendly culture at Carrington. I know sometimes the business get really frustrated with us IT people. But for most part they communicate with us. The people I have worked with have been very frank and honest. They do talk to me about problems but at the same time open to changes and open to help out to make things better.

Production support and comp days:
    Every place I have worked for I have been directly responsible for production support. This means I may need to wake up in the middle of the night or weekends and fix problems. Now you may think why I am listing this as a Pros. Well, Carrington IT is the only place that I can get a comp day for that. It is not promised to be there 100% of the time but for most of the time I can get a day off for 5 days of production support. I have never had seen that before.

Holidays:
    We have more holidays here than most companies I worked for. Like Columbus day and president day.

Cons

Fire Fighting:
    Carrington used to be a much smaller company just few years ago. This means we grew really fast. Which means there are quite few processes that are not working as well as they used to before. So I feel like there are times we focus more on putting down the fire than finding the source and fixing the issue from its root

No 401K:
    I was so surprised that a company as big as Carrington did not offer 401K. The good news is that we are getting it this year in March.

Change is not always easy:
    This is not specific to Carrington IT department. Change is always hard everywhere I worked at. So nothing new here. But to be fair the upper management are willing to listen. You don’t always get what you want to change though.

Advice to Management

Be more open to change. Focus more on fixing the root cause of the problems and less Band-Aids.

Feb 22, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for posting a positive review about your experiences at Carrington. Your opinion is important to us. There are lots of great things coming to Carrington this year, so stay tuned!

5. "Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - IT Vendor Procurement in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - IT Vendor Procurement in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Carrington Mortgage Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working with Carrington for over 5 years. And this is a great company to work for. Carrington treats their employee fair. Upper management always looking out for their employees. I interact with several departments, all friendly and good people to work with. Great benefits too! I love that we help customers to reach their dreams as becoming homeowners. Plus with the CCF what a privilege to participate in giving back to the veterans. An All American Company!! Good job Carrington!

Cons

Carrington does not have a 401k. But coming soon in 2017!! Looking forward to when we get to kick it off.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Feb 21, 2017 – Communications Manager

6. "Not a paid review --- Seriously, just being honest with my comments"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Carrington Mortgage Holdings full-time

Pros

Carrington is a challenging company, as many of the reviews mention. With a challenging environment, made even more so due to the market expansion of its companies, conflict comes naturally. In general, the conflict I have experienced has been good and healthy, but not all will see it that way. This is not a place for faint of heart nor a place where you should expect anything to be given to you. Much of the senior staff (EVP’s for business units, CIO and the ownership) is working very hard to keep everything in perspective as we expand, but again --- not everyone sees that, they only see the microcosm that is there little area. Carrington’s Charitable Foundation (excellent work with Veterans) and their efforts to give people opportunities in one of their 17 companies (should circumstances change in the one you are currently working in) is something that I have not seen at a lot of other companies.

Cons

Communication could be much better, especially on strategic efforts and employee support programs. There are a couple of the companies that spend more time pushing on what still needs to be fixed/improved and miss the opportunity to celebrate the successes.

Advice to Management

Improve on communications to all levels, including 360 reviews to help all levels of management grow.

Feb 15, 2017 – VP, Communications

As Carrington continues to grow, great feedback from associates like you will always be important. We’re working harder than ever to communicate the important company news to all Carrington ... More

7. "Communications Manager"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Great Culture, flex time and work life balance in check

Cons

Parking lot is always so full. Building is to full capacity.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and communication with Associates!

Jan 27, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your experience working at Carrington. We appreciate your feedback, and value your opinion. We are happy you like working here. Associate feedback is ... More

"Loss Analyst"

I have been working at Carrington Mortgage Holdings full-time

Pros

Decent Pay, Nice Facilities, Good Supervisors that encourage and uplift employees with a positive and respectful approach, good team building atmosphere created by direct supervisors

Cons

Lack in appropriate training, unpredictable job security, hostile, employee demeaning approach by upper level and corporate exec's, discouraging mutual team assistance to accomplish complicated or new tasks by upper level management, unrealistic expectations and staffing model for newer departments

Advice to Management

Better planning for new departments, more mutual team assisting encouragement, incentives for everyone including temps where applicable, proper training and preparedness for difficult projects, realistic expectations and staffing models for departments, appropriate, encouraging, professional verbiage when speaking to or assisting employees by upper level executives.

Feb 15, 2017 – VP, Communications

The Carrington Companies are growing fast, and sometimes that growth could be executed better. We appreciate your comments about training, planning and staffing levels. Regarding training, in June ... More

9. "IT Department"

Former Employee - IT Support in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - IT Support in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Carrington Mortgage Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health insurance. Decent pay Good co workers - developers are willing to help each other on very tight demanding deadlines

Cons

Using health insurance - may lose your job. Too much micro management. Constant doing then undoing features right up to release. Sweat shop Threatening employees that they will be terminated

Advice to Management

Trust employees more and stop micro managing stop the barring of personal email Allow employees to work from
    Home. Be more flexible

"Senior Data Warehouse Developer"

Former Employee - Senior Data Warehouse Developer in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Data Warehouse Developer in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Carrington Mortgage Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Carrington’s extremely hostile IT environment gave me the strength necessary to look for better opportunities/companies out there.

Cons

Cons:
    1. CIO & direct management created a very hostile environment by threatening their people that Carrington could fire people on the spot at any time, therefore if we did not like any of the things in IT then we were free to leave.

2. Clueless direct management who only knew SharePoint but yet dictated all of the architectural decisions which ended up mostly causing disasters which he then then blamed on other groups in IT.

3. Clueless CIO talking about World Class IT but it just stayed all talks in a little over 2 year that I have worked there.

4. Developers are discouraged to work as a team and expected to work as dumb, blind and mute slaves (literately). There were times that direct management asked the most experienced developer to work from home so the others could not go to him for help. In other words, everyone should just keep their heads down and slave away with the only goal in mind being the number of project tickets that they could complete for that month.

5. CIO and direct management were so insecure that they had to create a report in order to spy on people’s messages on Lync messenger!!! Moreover, every technical discussion with the direct management turned into a personal attack to his knowledge (or lack thereof) as he was so clueless to everything other than his limited knowledge of SharePoint (which was supposed to be an area of his expertise).

6. Majority of time was spent on putting out fires instead of fixing and preventing the same issues from happening again over and over. According to this direct management, fixing these Production issues did not have "any return of investment" - go figure! In management’s eyes, closing out tickets was the most important IT goal. They were so blind to the fact that if we had to tend to daily production issues then we would not have any time left to work on their "ticket quota".

7. Inhumane expectations from CIO & direct management - They made support people come in to the office the next day and put in a full shift even though those people worked the night before on production issues! On top of that, the direct management had the audacity to email the group weekly to “encourage” people to work more over time! And yet it is always them that were getting most of the bonus rewards and not the hardest working people in IT, just outrageous! People were also being "forced to donate" to the company's preferred charity by the CIO and his immediate subordinates so that they could look good in front of their bosses. There was a reminder of this forced “donation” to everyone in every meeting until everyone eventually paid up.

8. World Class IT CIO never really had any vision or road maps or leading skills whatsoever other than threatening to fire people if they don’t close out enough tickets in order to make him look good. The worst thing that this CIO did to his own soldiers was cheating them out of their long overdue and deserved raises and bonuses when he asked the new direct management to call previous direct management (yes, this is the same clueless micromanaging direct management discussed above) that had already left the company to do performance reviews for us when he wasn't even our direct manager for the performance review period in question. Not sure if what the new CIO did here was entirely legal but surely it was very unethical. This type of shady practices must be tolerated in privately owned companies such as Carrington Mortgage Holdings. At one point, some of us were actually thinking of consulting a lawyer regarding this matter but decided that it was BEST to leave this highly toxic environment once for all.

One final piece of advice - RUN AWAY now (if you haven't) from this company as long as this CIO is still there. If you are thinking of joining their IT team then my advice is to STAY AWAY as your skills and time will be much more appreciated anywhere else other than this company and its "World Class IT" CIO (laughable matter).

"Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Westfield, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Westfield, IN

I have been working at Carrington Mortgage Holdings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay , hours, time off for Holidays, nice desk

Cons

They don't listen to your ideas, they play favorites. No respect.

Advice to Management

Treat individuals the way you want to be treated.